Manage Followed Content

I'm hoping to use Manage Followed Content to follow the "Live From" threads.  When I click a link in my Manage Followed Content list it takes me to the first message in the thread.  

I'd much rather it took me to the first unread posting since my last visit.  Is there any way to do this?  

Has anyone found a better way to follow threads on an ongoing basis?  I'd rather not use the email notifications, I prefer reading the content here in my web browser.

33 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Has anyone found a better way to follow threads on an ongoing basis?

Manage Followed Content is not a good way to do this. It looks like setting up appropriate Activity Streams is a better way in this software setup.

For example, to have a listing only threads that you follow/subscribe on which there has been new activity, try setting one up using the following options:-

• Content items only
  • Content I haven't read
  • Only content I follow
  • Take me to the first unread comment
  • Ownership: Everything
  • Any time
  • All content
  • Condensed

You can tinker with these options until you find a set that you like. Or you can set up multiple new Activity Streams that each do a different job.

I've been enjoying Activity Streams for the four cruise lines I follow.  And hope to use it for finding content by user once the indexing has finished.

You're probably right, Activity Streams will be easier than Manage Followed Content for "Live From" threads.  I'll give it a try.

Activity Streams is probably the best feature of this new software.  I think it's too complex for some users to set up though.

1 hour ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Activity Streams is probably the best feature of this new software.  I think it's too complex for some users to set up though.

I fear that may be the case. I've noticed that custom Activity Streams which you set up seem to be sequentially numbered. If so, the counter has only reached about 300 - and that's after I've already deleted some of my earlier attempts that didn't quite work out.

10 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I fear that may be the case. I've noticed that custom Activity Streams which you set up seem to be sequentially numbered. If so, the counter has only reached about 300 - and that's after I've already deleted some of my earlier attempts that didn't quite work out.

Where do you find the number of the Activity Stream?

Once in a while my main Activity Stream will have "#039" between the words.  Other times the name displays correctly.

29 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Where do you find the number of the Activity Stream?

Once in a while my main Activity Stream will have "#039" between the words.  Other times the name displays correctly.

Once you set up the activity stream, where to I do find it?  Mine is partly ok, but needs to be tweaked as it's giving me some of what I want and still too much of what I don't.  I certainly hope this will become manageable. The state CC is in now, it's a major project to find only what I want...like I used to be able to do.  I would go in, check new posts on the threads I follow; make a quick dash thru the HAL posts and then I was done.

Thanks,

Linda R.

1 minute ago, cruzingnut said:

Once you set up the activity stream, where to I do find it?

At the top of the page, there are three tabs for Forums, Gallery and Activity.

Click Activity. Then click My Activity Streams. All of your custom Activity Streams should be listed in the drop-down menu that then appears.

If you need to tweak any of them, then as soon as you have changed a setting you should be offered the option of saving changes.

Just now, Globaliser said:

At the top of the page, there are three tabs for Forums, Gallery and Activity.

Click Activity. Then click My Activity Streams. All of your custom Activity Streams should be listed in the drop-down menu that then appears.

If you need to tweak any of them, then as soon as you have changed a setting you should be offered the option of saving changes.

Thanks!  I did go back and found the stream that I created...I had given it a name (Duh!!).  I need to look more closely as I didn't see a save option.  'Tis a learning experince, for sure!

Linda R.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Manage Followed Content is not a good way to do this. It looks like setting up appropriate Activity Streams is a better way in this software setup.

For example, to have a listing only threads that you follow/subscribe on which there has been new activity, try setting one up using the following options:-

• Content items only
  • Content I haven't read
  • Only content I follow
  • Any time
  • All content
  • Condensed

You can tinker with these options until you find a set that you like. Or you can set up multiple new Activity Streams that each do a different job.

Thanks. I'm not sure I would have figured this out by just tinkering around. It would seem there should be a place when you open Manage Followed Content to click next to your subscribed threads that would bring you to the first unread post like with the old version of this forum. But at least I know have a way to accomplish that task.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

It's part of its URL.

I created one Activity Stream this morning, it is #302.  

I tried to create a second Activity Stream but it wouldn't save.  Maybe I used an illegal character in my title?  I ran out of time, but I'll get back to it soon.

I'm finding it impossible to create an Activity Stream for Andrew on the Harmony. His user name is "A&L_Ont".

When I type all or part of his user name in the "content by specific member" it never finds him.  If I type it all, and exit the field, it seems to display the correct user name.  But the Activity Stream won't save.

12 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I'm finding it impossible to create an Activity Stream for Andrew on the Harmony. His user name is "A&L_Ont".

When I type all or part of his user name in the "content by specific member" it never finds him.  If I type it all, and exit the field, it seems to display the correct user name.  But the Activity Stream won't save.

That would seem worth reporting in Bugs and Glitches: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/861-report-bugs-glitches/

On 10/21/2018 at 6:51 AM, Globaliser said:

• Content items only
  • Content I haven't read
  • Only content I follow
  • Any time
  • All content
  • Condensed

If I try this option, I have to set it up  every time I access it.  It doesn't seem to save the settings at all.

37 minutes ago, travelgoddess1 said:

If I try this option, I have to set it up  every time I access it.  It doesn't seem to save the settings at all.

Are you starting the setting-up process from this page: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/?do=create ? The custom Activity Stream is only set up when you have clicked Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:04 AM, travelgoddess1 said:

I am not sure exactly how I accomplished it but following Globaliser's instructions worked for me.

The old format simply showed me that my followed content had new posts. The new format shows every post in my activity stream. It seems to be a total waste of space. I vastly preferred to simply see that there was new content without having all of it listed. Is there a way to change this behavior?

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

The new format shows every post in my activity stream. It seems to be a total waste of space. I vastly preferred to simply see that there was new content without having all of it listed. Is there a way to change this behavior?

The first setting on the Activity Stream is "Show me". Try changing this to "Content items only".

Does that do you what you would like it to do?