Explorations Cafe and other ways to connect

hallie

Explorations Cafe sells espresso drinks. Not a cyber cafe.

Just read that all internet packages are now unlimited and are available in Social media, E-mail & Social, and Streaming bandwidths. 

That's all I know. We somehow manage to go without Internet on cruises excepting ports with T-Mobile coverage.

If you need more than just Social Media site, you have to pay for at least the medium Surf package, which includes non-streaming sites. There is a very recent discussion on the boards of the pricing.

You can access WiFi all over the ship, though of course there are places where the signal is stronger than others.

So if you like to sit with your espresso-based coffee drinks, bring your laptop/table up to the Explorations Cafe and have a great time checking everything you need to online and watching the sea/world pass by out the windows.

11 hours ago, hallie said:

I am trying to decide what to do about internet/wifi on my Veendam cruise next week.   Daily rates?    How does the Explorations Cafe work?

The Veendam Explorations Cafe has a few PCs for free use for ship information (menus, your account, daily activities, etc) OR for paid external internet access at three different price levels.  Daily prices were $14.99 for social media use only, $24.99 for web surfing, or $29.99 for streaming.  If you purchase for the balance of your cruise days, there is approximately a 40% discount on the daily rates.  IMHO the Explorations Cafe has probably the best internet connection speed on the ship.

The Exploration Cafe also has a limited menu of free snacks and paid beverages.

image.png.7f3c5a2accefcb3c44e7a9a785ccf52e.png

image.png.1e5eabd8f7f6f7f94a850ae4899c71f4.png

I have used the  ship's computers in  Expl Cafe  many times,  I buy a  package and log in next time I want to go on line.   I used to bring my surface pro but just gave it away.       when  I cruise again, i'll decide if I want  to  buy another device to bring.

Edited by sail7seas

I've always felt that the cost and speed of the on board package to be a discouragement. We're in port almost every day anyway and for the most part that provides me with the means of connecting. Of course, part of the reason I cruise is to get away from all that (and I don't feel the need to post everything to FB as it occurs in realtime).

There are many options to being connected on board:

1. Use free wifi in ports. Many terminals have it, and cafes, McDonalds, etc certainly have it worldwide. I even found free wifi in the street in Shanghai and Beijing.

2. Buy the ship's internet. Pricey, but works well enough to get email. You can use the PC's in the explorer's lounge or bring your own device.

3. Buy your carrier's international plan. AT&T for example offers sharing on your home wireless plan for $10 for each day you use it. This is per device, but you can hotspot your phone, and share it with a PC or pad.

4. Buy your carrier's cruise ship plan. Again for about $10 a day, depending on length of cruise, you can access texts, and make calls, but only while at sea. In port you have to use one of the above options.

5. Forget the internet, and enjoy the cruise, the ports, and the quiet!

12 minutes ago, drlee said:

... Forget the internet, and enjoy the cruise, the ports, and the quiet!

Spot on, drlee - you nailed it with this one.  Congrats & thanks!!!  👍👍👍

9 hours ago, drlee said:

1. Use free wifi in ports. Many terminals have it, and cafes, McDonalds, etc certainly have it worldwide. I even found free wifi in the street in Shanghai and Beijing.

2. Buy the ship's internet. Pricey, but works well enough to get email. You can use the PC's in the explorer's lounge or bring your own device.

3. Buy your carrier's international plan. AT&T for example offers sharing on your home wireless plan for $10 for each day you use it. This is per device, but you can hotspot your phone, and share it with a PC or pad.

4. Buy your carrier's cruise ship plan. Again for about $10 a day, depending on length of cruise, you can access texts, and make calls, but only while at sea. In port you have to use one of the above options.

5. Forget the internet, and enjoy the cruise, the ports, and the quiet!

Some of us are still working and don't have the luxury to completely disconnect, even on vacation. But fantastic for people who can.