Why are Suite gratuities more than regular cabins ? Anyone know ?

angela12345

This came up in our group and I do not know the answer ... why are suite gratuities more than grats in regular cabins ?  Does anyone know why the difference in the gratuity/tip rate ?

I did a search and surprisingly could only find one thread that even asked this question about tips within the thread and noone answered that person.  Unless I did something wrong.  Really don't like the new search engine, maybe it's just because I haven't had a chance to figure it out yet.

Edited by angela12345

They are slightly, sometimes more than slightly, bigger. That means more to clean.

Not sure how accurate this is...

• Interior - 185 square feet.
  • Ocean View - 220 square feet (except for Fantasy & Spirit Class ships which are 185 square feet)
  • Balcony - 185 square feet.
  • Junior Suite & Ocean Suite - 275 square feet.
  • Grand Suite - 300-345 square feet.
Edited by JennyB1977

I have the same question... and I don't think the size of the room should have anything to do with it... a person in the smallest interior room can be way messier than someone in the suite. I was disappointed in the service I received on my room on the Sensation in April in my Suite. I would stop by after lunch and my room was still unmade half the time:/ 

Suites are a bit larger and have more items to tend. There are the upgraded linens, premium towels, fruit basket, ice, minibar, coffee and tea station, slippers, robes, sewing kit, shoe shine kit, chocolates, cookies, strawberries, wine service kit, mixers and garnish, full size soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste and brush, mouthwash, floss, loofa, bath salts, massage oil, and a selection of room fragrances.

Then I woke up. I was in a Carnival suite and it all disappeared!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Suites are larger, takes more time to clean.  Stewards have less cabins because of their size.

FWIW other lines also have higher gratuities for suites. Princess and HAL are two.

I was upgraded to a suite because they didn't have a hanicap cabin for 3 people. I don't think the service is any better than my inside cabin!  I didn't get anything extra, except I found out on our last day I could have gotten a load of free laundry done. 

2 hours ago, FijiFlip said:

I believe prepaid gratuities are calculated based on a percentage of your cruise rate. Suites have higher cruise rates therefore higher gratuities.

Tips are standard across the Carnival Fleet.  They are not a percentage of the room rate are the same for everyone one on the ship with the only variance being standard room ($13.99 pp, per day) and Suites ($15.99 pp, per day).  These are the new rates effective 12/1/18.

Carnival Tips

Edited by mjktg99

Suites include -  There are the upgraded linens, premium towels, fruit basket, ice, minibar, coffee and tea station, slippers, robes, sewing kit, shoe shine kit, chocolates, cookies, strawberries, wine service kit, mixers and garnish, full size soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste and brush, mouthwash, floss, loofa, bath salts, massage oil, and a selection of room fragrances.  

Hmmm.......kinda glad I got an inside!!!   A lot less clean up!:classic_cool:

Where's my confounded shoe shine kit!!????

Edited by jwjax

5 hours ago, FijiFlip said:

I believe prepaid gratuities are calculated based on a percentage of your cruise rate. Suites have higher cruise rates therefore higher gratuities.

That is not true. They are the same from an inside to balcony (minus suites) and has nothing to do with how much you paid for your cabin. 

2 hours ago, jwjax said:

Suites include -  There are the upgraded linens, premium towels, fruit basket, ice, minibar, coffee and tea station, slippers, robes, sewing kit, shoe shine kit, chocolates, cookies, strawberries, wine service kit, mixers and garnish, full size soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste and brush, mouthwash, floss, loofa, bath salts, massage oil, and a selection of room fragrances.  

Hmmm.......kinda glad I got an inside!!!   A lot less clean up!:classic_cool:

Where's my confounded shoe shine kit!!????

What cruise line is this? Certainly isn't Carnival!

I remember when they first announced suites were having to pay higher gratuities, they said they would be getting "Enhanced turndown service". They never did clarify what that was supposed to mean as far as I remember and I don't think anyone has gotten any different evening service. At least not that I have heard of.