Caribbean attire for dining

killsport

It's been a long while since I've been on HAL (used to bring tux). I read the "know before you go" packet. But I'd like to confirm with those who have somewhat recently been on 7 day Caribbean HAL sailings regarding appropriate attire for the MDR... Will nice jeans/khakis and a polo or other button down short sleeve shirt be fine for non-"Gala" nights? Will slacks / long sleeve dress shirt be ok for the "Gala" nights? I'm not talking about what is allowed, I'm talking about what is actually worn. Thanks in advance for your feedback?

On Gala nights on our last 7-day Carib (Oosterdam, Dec '16) about 2/3 of the men in the room wore either a jacket without a tie or a dress shirt and tie without a jacket. The remaining 1/3 was about evenly split between those with suits/tuxes and those with neither jacket nor tie.

6 minutes ago, killsport said:

Thanks @jtl513 and @JEH for your responses! Looks like I'll be appropriately attired (and yet still comfortable).

I should have added that this was for early/open-seating. Fixed and later dining tends to be more toward the dressier side.

Edited by jtl513

Twice on the boards here  we were generally told "no one dressed up for gala nights" on Caribbean or Alaskan cruises.  We found just the opposite. People still dressed formally on both. So you can be comfortable doing both things - dressing up if this is something you enjoy, or meeting the stated ship guidelines.

Late fixed dining: Zaandam and Nieuw Amsterdam - both very festive on gala night.

Recent Maasdam "InDepth" cruise also - same thing - still plenty who dress formally on gala night. That too was an unknown since this was a new onboard format - more intensive, active and high enrichment and doing away with some of the more traditional onboard activities like cast shows in the Showroom and replacing them with lextures.

31 minutes ago, killsport said:

thanks @a.madruga and @OlsSalt for chiming in. Looks like (happily) there is a wide variety of dress on Gala nights, allowing those who wish to dress up beautifully, while allowing others (like me) to dress simply, but respectfully.

At late fixed dining, most men wore jackets or dark suits even though not suggested in the guideline minimums. Maybe it was "suggested" more by their spouses who were still far more dressed up for the occasion. Late-fixed dining still  tends to remain more formal on gala nights. 

Edited by OlsSalt

4 hours ago, killsport said:

Will nice jeans/khakis and a polo or other button down short sleeve shirt be fine for non-"Gala" nights? 

Are jeans allowed in the dining room on any night? Asking, because I really don't have a clue.

We'll be on our 5th Caribbean HA cruise in a few weeks.  On Gala Nights, we've found it ranges from very formal (hubby has taken his tux, but isn't going to this year), to nicer  type clothes. It's definitely a wide range.   I just don't agree with wearing jeans, nice or not, to a dining room for dinner, early seating or not.  Go to the buffet if you're wearing jeans.  I can't remember seeing jeans.    

On our first cruise (on another cruise line), many years ago, the flight was late and we literally just ran on to the ship before it took off.  We had been up since 3 am and were dead tired, and starving.  We waited for our luggage in our room, and couldn't wait any longer.  We washed our faces, and went to the dining room, where we explained about the luggage.  It was the only place to eat on this ship, so it was go there or starve.  We were let in of course, but we did get some not so friendly looks from people.  This was about 30 years ago.  Times have changed.

1 hour ago, CherryG said:

...Times have changed.

Times have but unfortunately some attitudes haven't. We like to dress for Gala nights but (like your husband) I may retire the tux. On the last cruise I think I only wore it one night. We haven't had a fixed seating in years and I don't remember the last time we ate in the upper dining room. These "what are the rules" threads always seem to end up dividing us into factions. HAL has a stated/printed set of (what I'll call "guidelines" and what others may call "rules") but the reality is that it depends on how your Dining Room Host happens to feel on any given night. I suspect most will get in if dressed as if they were going to dinner in a nice restaurant. I would also hope that anyone showing up dressed poorly would be turned away but how others are dressed isn't going to bother me (unless they're wearing ripped shorts and a muscle shirt).

IF you have not been on a cruise for some time formal/gala night dining may be a surprise.  Lots of changes in the food, food quality, menu choices, and service.  From our perspective there is not much gala to gala nights .....other than the name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1