Maasdam dry dock

puli

I understand the Maasdam  just recently returned from dry dock. Does anyone know what was done? I am especially interested in knowing if the Explorer's cafe was moved to the Crow's Nest and if any Vista suites had the bathtub converted to a full shower.

2 minutes ago, puli said:

I understand the Maasdam  just recently returned from dry dock. Does anyone know what was done? I am especially interested in knowing if the Explorer's cafe was moved to the Crow's Nest and if any Vista suites had the bathtub converted to a full shower.

Recently on the first Maasdam cruise after drydock - nothing changed except the decor which was very nicely upgraded. Library intact, no major changes to Crows Nest, and Explorations Cafe in its original place. She looks beautiful and familiar in layout. We had  a Vista Suite and it still had the bathtub/shower - not a full shower but very good - bathroom decor has been changed to the taupe panels and no longer the pinkish small tiles, but that may have been done prior to this last drydock.

Only problem we noticed was a few days of only lukewarm shower water early in the morning which was due to some "valve" issues post-drydock but that was quickly remedied. There still was a lot of outside deck work that needed to be completed since it rained everyday during the drydock and it could not be completed then.

Plus there were finishing crews moving throughout the ship apparenlty putting finishing touches on internal parts of the refurbishments and reupholstry - one crew wore tee-shirts called The French Polishing Team. The new and lovely carpet changes were shedding their new carpet fuzz so that kept the crews busy vacuuming them up. 

13 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Recently on the first Maasdam cruise after drydock - nothing changed except the decor which was very nicely upgraded. Library intact, no major changes to Crows Nest, and Explorations Cafe in its original place.........................

I understand, having no longer a librarian position (except on AMDM's GWV), they removed the librarian desk from the library. Can you confirm that? Also that infamous/never used Wine Tasting Bar across from the Wajang entrance is now the "EXC Center"

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I understand, having no longer a librarian position (except on AMDM's GWV), they removed the librarian desk from the library. Can you confirm that? Also that infamous/never used Wine Tasting Bar across from the Wajang entrance is now the "EXC Center"

The removal of the librarians desk and central divider alcove bookcases by the windows in the "first" library room behind the Explorations Cafe had changed on our last Zaandam cruise so not sure when that fundamental  conversion took place also on the Maasdam.  More full lounger seating was added in lieu of those divider bookcases along the windows.  I believe this had already taken place on our last year Maasdam cruise but would not swear by that. 

. But on the Maasdam recently those central divider book cases were still there with lounger seating inbetween and the librarians desk had been removed - whether on the recent dry dock or not I don't know. They have not had the dedicated librarian on most ships now for some time.  (Except Amsterdam?) 

Mainly it was the change in the decor on the Maasdam - the computer stations were still present on the Maasdam in the library, whereas those had been removed in the Zaandam library and that "first" library on the Zaandam room had become more flexible and utilitarian looking.. 

Again, while the books were not necessarily current there were some great titles to pick up that remained topical - such as the history of US Supreme Court picks. It was 10 years out of date but the scholarly research in the past was solid and helpful to understanding of the very current events going on while onboard.  The books were shelved in order and this was a very well used location during the first InDepth cruise - it had more public space activity than any other public venue.

Edited by OlsSalt

15 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

.................................. More full lounger seating was added in lieu of those divider bookcases along the windows.  I believe this had already taken place on our last year Maasdam cruise but would not swear by that. 

But on the Maasdam recently those central divider book cases were still there with lounger seating in between and the librarians desk had been removed - whether on the recent dry dock or not I don't know......................

Are the two "divider bookcases" by the windows in the attached 'older' pics of Maasie's (and one of her sisters) Explorations Cafe, the ones you're referring to?

Image result for Maasdam Explorations Cafe

Holland America Line R-Class Explorers Cafe.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Are the two "divider bookcases" by the windows in the attached 'older' pics of Maasie's (and one of her sisters) Explorations Cafe, the ones you're referring to?

Holland America Line R-Class Explorers Cafe.jpg

Those bookcases are the ones - still present on the Maasdam, but now removed on the Zaandam. The old color scheme is pretty shocking now to see since it has been changed to mainly neutrals - taupes and creamy whites - much fresher look. Many of the former leather furnishings are now upholstered in lighter colors.

To answer a prior question, not sure if there is a formal "leave one, take one" book sharing program but we left a number of our own books behind in the library that were topical to the area, that others would have been welcome to take since they did not have a HAL logo sticker on them.

One we put on the raised magazine racks and saw that it was quickly gone - a very good book about Easter Island. Maybe at the far end of the library where the librarian's desk used to be there might still be that informal book sharing space. 

Edited by OlsSalt

12 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Those bookcases are the ones - still present on the Maasdam, but now removed on the Zaandam. The old color scheme is pretty shocking now to see since it has been changed to mainly neutrals - taupes and creamy whites - much fresher look. Many of the former leather furnishings are now upholstered in lighter colors....................

Thanks for that, Ols Salt; and are these "side bookcases": still there, along with the ones in the original library room located aft of the actual coffee bar?

Holland America Line S-Class Interior Explorations Cafe 7.jpg

Zaandam

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for that, Ols Salt; and are these "side bookcases": still there, along with the ones in the original library room located aft of the actual coffee bar?

Holland America Line S-Class Interior Explorations Cafe 7.jpg

Zaandam

All is intact in the Maasdam library and pretty much all in place on the Zaandam too.

The main reading room on the Zaandam directly behind the Explorations Cafe had the most re-design - took out the alcove and the reading tables and I believe also the computer stations - it is now pretty much an open room with only flexible seating - much more utilitarian looking. However, they did install far more lounger seating facing the windows in that new Zaandam library space too to help make up for what they took away from the Zaandam Crows Nest..

Not a total disaster, but at least the Maasdam escaped that recent gutting. My first thought when seeing the Zaandam changes is they would use this space now for "art auctions". Line up the chairs and pitch your spiel.  (Yikes - never happened but sadly it could. 

Edited by OlsSalt