Cruise Critic Community
Radbooks

Cancelling a cruise after final payment

Hello all!

We're scheduled to be on a cruise over the Christmas/New Years holidays and I'm having some health issues and needing surgery.  What does HAL require for cancelling it and returning our money?  We do have insurance, but I don't know what is required. A note from the doctor or what?

Thanks so much,

Rhonda

That would depend on the terms of your insurance.   Do you have the HAL insurance?   The regular or platinum?   We had the platinum when we had to cancel and all it took was a phone call.  I didn't need any paperwork as it is cancel for any reason.

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

That would depend on the terms of your insurance.   Do you have the HAL insurance?   The regular or platinum?   We had the platinum when we had to cancel and all it took was a phone call.  I didn't need any paperwork as it is cancel for any reason.

Okay, I just checked and it says 'Premium Cancellation Protection'.  Is that the same as platinum?

51 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Did you buy HAL's insurance or another company's insurance?

It was through HAL.

2 minutes ago, Radbooks said:

It was through HAL.

Well, if it were the Platinum coverage, it would say Platinum.  I looked up one of my old invoices and that is the way it is listed.  I would suggest you call HAL and ask them.   

3 hours ago, Radbooks said:

We do have insurance, but I don't know what is required. A note from the doctor or what?

Both HAL's Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Plans are "cancel for any reason", so all that is required from you is a written statement that you wish to cancel. IIRC in our case we called first and got an email address to send the written statement.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html

Edited by jtl513

I cancelled 4 days before leaving and all it took was a call to my TA, and a joint call to HAL and it was taken care of. No need for anything else.

Before accepting only a percentage back through HALs cancel for any reason protection, check with your credit card used to book.   Some offer really good insurance, and if the issues were not pre existing, may return 100% back as a trip cancellation for a covered reason.