Dubai: entry requirements for personal and over-the counter medication

Does anybody have any experience regarding bringing personal prescription medication into Dubai, UAE? I understand a copy of the doctors prescription is required to be presented on entry at immigration but wondered if there is a pre-entry request required?

Also, what are the rules for over-the-counter medication (eg aspirin/ibuprofen/paracetamol, multi-vitamins, cold/flu remedies etc)? How should these be declared?

Edited by Ballymoney Bailey Boy

The rules regarding this just changed in the last ten days - check the Abu Dhabi vs Dubai thread (sorry my phone is not cooperating with the new CC and I can’t copy the link) and the most up to date information is posted there..

Anne...

Pretty much anything us available here at any pharmacy or chemist. 

Certainly over the counter stuff such as cold and flu medicine.

I am taking " prescription only" blood pressure medication that I get without problem at any chemist without a prescription,  simply by showing a photo of the medication's box on my phone.

Sometimes the name of the medicine may be different to the brand you are used to, but the active ingredients are the same. 

An exception are medicines such as antidepressants which are strictly regulated here and only available at certain hospital pharmacies 

5 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Pretty much anything us available here at any pharmacy or chemist.   Certainly over the counter stuff such as cold and flu medicine.  I am taking " prescription only" blood pressure medication that I get without problem at any chemist without a prescription,  simply by showing a photo of the medication's box on my phone.  Sometimes the name of the medicine may be different to the brand you are used to, but the active ingredients are the same.   An exception are medicines such as antidepressants which are strictly regulated here and only available at certain hospital pharmacies 

Having posted originally last week on this subject/question based on several initial news stories, I have some added information for this situation.   I talked this afternoon with a knowledgeable health section official at the UAE Embassy in Washington, DC.  This discussion clarified much, including that there is absolutely no need to do via an on-line connection, etc., in advance with or to the Ministry of Health (MoH) in the UAE.  No advance permission, sign-up, authorization, filing, etc., from the UAE MoH will be required before our travels or departure. 

We do need, FIRST, to obtain a signed letter  from our medical doctor(s) before commencing travels explaining why these “controlled substance” medicines with us would be needed.  Plus, SECOND, a copy of the actual prescriptions, dose size and confirming that they are current.  This term controlled substance might be the very most important "detail"!!  Most of the prescriptions medicines that we would carry on this trip will NOT require these types of advance actions or preparation.   If you look carefully at the 15 pages of details for the specific meds requiring this advance paperwork, these are mostly and all what can be called drugs of a narcotic and/or psychotropic nature.  Not all prescriptions need this documentation, just those that are on their list of narcotic or psychotropic types of medicines.  

And, THIRD, they want some type of “local official” letter.  That gets a little more "fuzzy" and less clear.   But, in discussing additionally the options with that UAE Embassy official in Washington, DC, I came up with another idea.  Since there are no Federal health offices here handy in Columbus (our state's Capital City), I asked about getting a signed letter from a Member of Congress or a Senator as to whether that could work?  She said YES, that would be satisfactory.  I have contacted my Congressman’s office here and have processes commencing in that direction for getting some document or letter fitting for such an “official looking” purpose.   Don't ask me as to what that letter will say or mean.  I am just seeking a "document" that has some appearance of being "important" to go with the other medical items/documents.  Also, I have some other or added options/potential to check/explore.  Fortunately, I know some of these various officials and staff members.  That helps in exploring this new, confusing and complicated "hurdle" for which my wife and I, plus the other couple traveling with us, are doing to be prepared for what is new and different in Dubai.  Maybe, you can also check for a local government health office or official, etc.  Hope these details and this sharing is of help.  

Questions, suggestions or reactions?  Will share more as we continue to progress ahead.  Or, maybe in the next week or so, the Dubai officials will realize the "mess" this well-intended new policy is creating,   The UAE officials are seeking to stop people bringing in 60-90 day supplies of opioids that could be abused or sold off. In a country, however, that has been seeking to be such a key, major tourist location/center, this type of challenge makes travels difficult for people what are not used to traveling with these types of official documents.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 37,749 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Doesn't surprise me in the least that there will be conflicting reports on this as it literally only rolled out last week however, I am aware that the FCO and several other countries have already changed the advise on their websites to this latest version, and it has been published in the press locally as it applies to residents of the UAE as well as visitors to the UAE..  This was from The National a couple of days ago..

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/the-uae-explained-how-to-bring-prescription-drugs-into-the-country-1.784810

Anne..

Whilst preparing to issue a warning on these new regulations to our staff this morning I went to the MOH&A website to paste and copy the links and discovered a notice has been posted to the relevant page on the website stating that the electronic approval is actually optional and residents or visitors may either register and get the pre-approval or they can follow what is the current procedure, and as detailed by Terry (TLCOhio) above and travel with all the documentation along with the drugs and declare them upon arrival.   I'm posting the link again below which now shows the notice to travelers...

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/en/services/Pages/361.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1i5giQunBuz_agwo-ptE1lwXd59q4msWTygnbOZf3xcGNFac45HQefNeI

Anne...

16 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Whilst preparing to issue a warning on these new regulations to our staff this morning I went to the MOH&A website to paste and copy the links and discovered a notice has been posted to the relevant page on the website stating that the electronic approval is actually optional and residents or visitors may either register and get the pre-approval or they can follow what is the current procedure, and as detailed by Terry (TLCOhio) above and travel with all the documentation along with the drugs and declare them upon arrival.   I'm posting the link again below which now shows the notice to travelers...

http://www.mohap.gov.ae/en/services/Pages/361.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1i5giQunBuz_agwo-ptE1lwXd59q4msWTygnbOZf3xcGNFac45HQefNeI

Anne...   

Appreciate, Anne, your excellent follow-up and these various, added details.   Glad that the UAE MoH folks are realizing the need to clarify and become, maybe, a little more flexible and reasonable.  It is still a little "fuzzy" and confusing.  BUT, fortunately, we have a little more time and things are getting somewhat more into focus.  Keep up the great sharing!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 241,815 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

So, having thought it best to submit an application than spending 3 months in jail, I got the necessary documents from my doctor and submitted two applications (one for myself and one for my wife).

Twenty four hours later we each receive emails advising that our applications have been rejected on the basis that as none of the personal use medications declared are on the list of prohibited substances there is no requirement to obtain approval to import.

What a waste of time!

1 hour ago, Ballymoney Bailey Boy said:

Twenty four hours later we each receive emails advising that our applications have been rejected on the basis that as none of the personal use medications declared are on the list of prohibited substances there is no requirement to obtain approval to import.

But are your medications on one of the two lists?

2 hours ago, Ballymoney Bailey Boy said:

So, having thought it best to submit an application than spending 3 months in jail, I got the necessary documents from my doctor and submitted two applications (one for myself and one for my wife).

What a waste of time!

Why did you submit an application if the medication/drugs you will be carrying are not on the controlled list????   The ‘import’ restrictions have only ever been applicable to the clearly listed controlled substances and not to all prescribed medicines.... The same ‘rules’ apply to those of us resident in the UAE as well as visitors and I’ve travelled in an out for years with no issues at all.  I travel with one drug that is on the list and always have a copy of the stamped and signed controlled drug prescription with me, everything else just gets thrown in my handbag or carry on without any supporting paperwork at all... 

Anne..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Why did you submit an application if the medication/drugs you will be carrying are not on the controlled list????   The ‘import’ restrictions have only ever been applicable to the clearly listed controlled substances and not to all prescribed medicines.... The same ‘rules’ apply to those of us resident in the UAE as well as visitors and I’ve travelled in an out for years with no issues at all.  I travel with one drug that is on the list and always have a copy of the stamped and signed controlled drug prescription with me, everything else just gets thrown in my handbag or carry on without any supporting paperwork at all... 

Anne..

There are too numerous posts on here on this subject to read every one, and given that the rules recently changed and I'm not medically of pharmaceutical trained I wasn't sure what was and wasn't allowed. That's why I submitted an application.

Hopefully others won't worry in the future.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:25 AM, Ballymoney Bailey Boy said:

There are too numerous posts on here on this subject to read every one, and given that the rules recently changed and I'm not medically of pharmaceutical trained I wasn't sure what was and wasn't allowed. That's why I submitted an application.

Hopefully others won't worry in the future.

Just read the thread I posted titled UAE LIST OF DRUGS NEEDING APPROVAL TO BRING INTO THE COUNTRY

It would seem if you were concerned enough to submit an application that you would at least read the threads for more info ????

• 1 month later...

Most prescriptions use the brand name or generic name of the drug, so language isn't an issue. Also, Dr's generally write the dosing directions in medical terms (like qid po for 4 times daily by mouth), so again, language isn't an issue. This may be different than the info on the bottle or package from your pharmacist, who will translate the medicalese into the local language so you understand it.

• Like 1