Just off Independance of the Seas- 3 night taste of Paris and Bruges report

Hi all,

On Sunday we disembarked Indy and sent her over the atlantic to you! We were on the 3 night taste of Paris and Bruges out of Southampton. This was our 4th cruise but 1st on RCI. I'd like to share my overall impressions and also if anyone has any questions fire away. I do have lots of pictures and will post a more in depth look at the food etc, but I need to sort through them first.

Overall rating/impressions- 9/10

We loved the cruise! We had a blast and only wished it was longer. Although it's our first on RCI it won't be our last. We found it very comparable to NCL in a lot of areas, and slightly better in some ways. We will definitley choose another RCI cruise, however our next two are on Princess and P&O as RCI didn't offer the itineraries. I would love to sail an Oasis class ship, although we may look at Anthem when she arrives in Southampton in 2020.

Ship- 8/10

Indy is looking gorgeous after her refurbishment. All the common areas look lovely, and some of the new additions are great. The cabins look a teeny bit dated still, but she is an older ship so I can excuse that. Everywhere was clean and well maintained.

Cabin 7/10

We had 6305 which is the Ben and Jerries Sweet. I thought it was great fun and loved the promenade view for people watching. We were not given the supposed benefits including robes, upgraded bathroom items and access to the suite lounge. I did tailgate someone into the suite lounge for a look at to be honest it's not our thing anyway. We did recieve a fruit plate on boarding and canapes on formal night. The room was comfy and spacious enough, I loved the little seating area and window seat. This is NOT a quiet cabin- it was fine for 3 nights but I wouldn't want it for 14! You cannot sleep while an event is happening on the promenade so this is not for people who want to be in bed by 10pm. I did experience the banging noise described by some but it was easy to block out with earplugs. This is an adjoining cabin and we could hear every word, cough and TV noise in the next cabin. Luckily we had fairly quiet neighbours. There seemed to be a lot of little items missing from the cabin, like the breakfast room service hanger, pen and paper (or do RCI just not give those?) and the Do Not Disturb sign. I suspect everyone steals the DND magnets as they are cute. But it was an issue that the steward disturbed us a lot, he always seemed to be banging on the door. When getting ready for formal night (and in a state of undress), he came back 3 times and I kept having to shout through the door that I was getting changed. Eventually I let him in and all he wanted to do was deliver canapes! In retrospect it's a funny first world problem- "someone keeps bothering me trying to give me canapes!". Our steward also took away a snack I had left in the room for later so I was sad when I came back to the cabin and it was gone lol.

Atmosphere- 8/10

I'd heard many horror stories about drunken louts taking over the ship on 2/3 day sailings, luckily we did not experience this. While we did see some hen and stag parties, the majority seemed to be families and couples. Lots of kids on board. It was lively in the evenings but not out of control.

Crowding 7/10

I'd also heard a lot about overcrowding on the Indy since she added more cabins. The only time we really experienced this was at breakfast when it was very difficult to find a table. Luckily we were only a 2, it must have been near impossible for larger groups. Lots of people sat on the side wall by the windows to eat. They opened the deck 3 MDR with an additonal buffet to ease crowds, but the one time we tried to go there there was a massive queue out of the door. Apart from that crowding was not an issue. There seemed to be free seats in most of the shows.

Activities- 8/10

We managed to do the Sky Pad and thought it was great fun! I beat my husbands score so that made my day. Sadly the weather did not cooperate so the climbing wall and flow rider were closed the whole cruise, which was dissapointing but expected. We also did the mini golf which was fun, although there was no score sheets. The pool areas etc were empty due to the weather. Hot tubs were well in use! We were very dissapointed that the lazer tag was only offered on one day which was the Bruges port day so we missed it.

Entertainment- 7/10

We LOVED Grease, it was fantastic. It was only on one night at 5.45 and 8.45, and we correctley guessed the 8.45 would be the desirable showtime. We arrived at 8pm and had our pick of seats. The theatre totally filled up and people were standing at the back. We also loved the ice show Freeze Frame. The 60s/70s promenade party was great. We did not like the Rock Britannia promenade party as the music was waaaaay too old for us. The 50s/60s crowd seeemed to be enjoying it. I hope they are getting rid of this party after Indy returns to the US as I can't see it being popular! We loved The Quest and Ken the CD was great. The other theatre show was the mysteriously titled 'Headliner show' which turned out to be a Queen tribute band (despite the fact Ken introduced them as The Beatles!). Unless you are a huge Queen fan this was a bit dull, we left after one song. There was also a last minute late night comedian show which was VERY rude but great.

Shopping- 4/10

I was dissapointed by the quality of the RCI merchandise in the shop. Not that I was really planning on buying a RCI tee or hoodie, but on feeling them the quality did not feel good at all. We always buy a ship magnet so we did buy the Indy one, but I didn't think it was that great for $9. The NCL ones are much cooler. The other shops seemed expensive, but I wasn't really looking to buy anyway. On the last night due to the late departure from Paris, the shops were only open for an hour or so causing long queues for last minute purchases.

Service- 8/10

On the whole fantastic and friendly! Our room steward never introduced himself but said hello when we passed in the corridor. The service in the deck 3 ATD MDR was fantastic, but when we were directed to spare tables in the deck 4 room it wasn't good- we were brought the wrong menus and had to wait a long time to order, and were not brought water top ups. I think this is an issue caused by putting ATD people into the traditional dining room, it just seemed like our waiter couldn't cope with it.

Food- 9/10

Fantastic overall, we thought the quality in the MDR was a notch above NCL and a million miles above MSC. Nothing we didn't like. Lunch in the buffet was also fantastic. Breakfast I felt was better on NCL but still lots of choice. Perhaps just because it was a madhouse for breakfast it seemed like lots of trays were empty and couldn't find what we wanted. Sorrentos pizza was yummy at 1am! I was surprised at the limited buffet hours but maybe that's just an NCL thing to have it open all the time. We did not eat in any speciality venues as didn't see the need when the MDR food was so good. Didn't see anyone using Fish and Ships and not surprised.

Ports- 7/10

Not really relevant now she's headed to the US! But we loved Bruges, we did an RCI excursion and felt it well worth the money. We had a walking tour, boat tour and free time. It was well organised and the tour guide was great. We didn't get off in Le Havre as we can probably get to Paris faster from home than from Le Havre! It seemed like everyone else had the same idea and the ship was packed even though it was a port day.

So I think that's everything- I will get some photos posted too! Let me know if you have any questions and look after Indy when she arrives over there!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.

Good to hear that some of the drunken behaviour reported on the short cruises at the start of the UK season weren’t  repeated here. Perhaps the restriction of selling the drinks packages on the short UK cruises has had an effect?

9 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Thanks for the review.

Good to hear that some of the drunken behaviour reported on the short cruises at the start of the UK season weren’t  repeated here. Perhaps the restriction of selling the drinks packages on the short UK cruises has had an effect?

Yes, I'd hope that helped it! Although the drinks package was on sale until a couple of months before we sailed so I'm sure a lot of people still had it.

I don't know if the more family atmosphere was a result of it overlapping the half term break for some schools

1 hour ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Hi all,

On Sunday we disembarked Indy and sent her over the atlantic to you! We were on the 3 night taste of Paris and Bruges out of Southampton. This was our 4th cruise but 1st on RCI. I'd like to share my overall impressions and also if anyone has any questions fire away. I do have lots of pictures and will post a more in depth look at the food etc, but I need to sort through them first.

Overall rating/impressions- 9/10

We loved the cruise! We had a blast and only wished it was longer. Although it's our first on RCI it won't be our last. We found it very comparable to NCL in a lot of areas, and slightly better in some ways. We will definitley choose another RCI cruise, however our next two are on Princess and P&O as RCI didn't offer the itineraries. I would love to sail an Oasis class ship, although we may look at Anthem when she arrives in Southampton in 2020.

Ship- 8/10

Indy is looking gorgeous after her refurbishment. All the common areas look lovely, and some of the new additions are great. The cabins look a teeny bit dated still, but she is an older ship so I can excuse that. Everywhere was clean and well maintained.

Cabin 7/10

We had 6305 which is the Ben and Jerries Sweet. I thought it was great fun and loved the promenade view for people watching. We were not given the supposed benefits including robes, upgraded bathroom items and access to the suite lounge. I did tailgate someone into the suite lounge for a look at to be honest it's not our thing anyway. We did recieve a fruit plate on boarding and canapes on formal night. The room was comfy and spacious enough, I loved the little seating area and window seat. This is NOT a quiet cabin- it was fine for 3 nights but I wouldn't want it for 14! You cannot sleep while an event is happening on the promenade so this is not for people who want to be in bed by 10pm. I did experience the banging noise described by some but it was easy to block out with earplugs. This is an adjoining cabin and we could hear every word, cough and TV noise in the next cabin. Luckily we had fairly quiet neighbours. There seemed to be a lot of little items missing from the cabin, like the breakfast room service hanger, pen and paper (or do RCI just not give those?) and the Do Not Disturb sign. I suspect everyone steals the DND magnets as they are cute. But it was an issue that the steward disturbed us a lot, he always seemed to be banging on the door. When getting ready for formal night (and in a state of undress), he came back 3 times and I kept having to shout through the door that I was getting changed. Eventually I let him in and all he wanted to do was deliver canapes! In retrospect it's a funny first world problem- "someone keeps bothering me trying to give me canapes!". Our steward also took away a snack I had left in the room for later so I was sad when I came back to the cabin and it was gone lol.

Atmosphere- 8/10

I'd heard many horror stories about drunken louts taking over the ship on 2/3 day sailings, luckily we did not experience this. While we did see some hen and stag parties, the majority seemed to be families and couples. Lots of kids on board. It was lively in the evenings but not out of control.

Crowding 7/10

I'd also heard a lot about overcrowding on the Indy since she added more cabins. The only time we really experienced this was at breakfast when it was very difficult to find a table. Luckily we were only a 2, it must have been near impossible for larger groups. Lots of people sat on the side wall by the windows to eat. They opened the deck 3 MDR with an additonal buffet to ease crowds, but the one time we tried to go there there was a massive queue out of the door. Apart from that crowding was not an issue. There seemed to be free seats in most of the shows.

Activities- 8/10

We managed to do the Sky Pad and thought it was great fun! I beat my husbands score so that made my day. Sadly the weather did not cooperate so the climbing wall and flow rider were closed the whole cruise, which was dissapointing but expected. We also did the mini golf which was fun, although there was no score sheets. The pool areas etc were empty due to the weather. Hot tubs were well in use! We were very dissapointed that the lazer tag was only offered on one day which was the Bruges port day so we missed it.

Entertainment- 7/10

We LOVED Grease, it was fantastic. It was only on one night at 5.45 and 8.45, and we correctley guessed the 8.45 would be the desirable showtime. We arrived at 8pm and had our pick of seats. The theatre totally filled up and people were standing at the back. We also loved the ice show Freeze Frame. The 60s/70s promenade party was great. We did not like the Rock Britannia promenade party as the music was waaaaay too old for us. The 50s/60s crowd seeemed to be enjoying it. I hope they are getting rid of this party after Indy returns to the US as I can't see it being popular! We loved The Quest and Ken the CD was great. The other theatre show was the mysteriously titled 'Headliner show' which turned out to be a Queen tribute band (despite the fact Ken introduced them as The Beatles!). Unless you are a huge Queen fan this was a bit dull, we left after one song. There was also a last minute late night comedian show which was VERY rude but great.

Shopping- 4/10

I was dissapointed by the quality of the RCI merchandise in the shop. Not that I was really planning on buying a RCI tee or hoodie, but on feeling them the quality did not feel good at all. We always buy a ship magnet so we did buy the Indy one, but I didn't think it was that great for $9. The NCL ones are much cooler. The other shops seemed expensive, but I wasn't really looking to buy anyway. On the last night due to the late departure from Paris, the shops were only open for an hour or so causing long queues for last minute purchases.

Service- 8/10

On the whole fantastic and friendly! Our room steward never introduced himself but said hello when we passed in the corridor. The service in the deck 3 ATD MDR was fantastic, but when we were directed to spare tables in the deck 4 room it wasn't good- we were brought the wrong menus and had to wait a long time to order, and were not brought water top ups. I think this is an issue caused by putting ATD people into the traditional dining room, it just seemed like our waiter couldn't cope with it.

Food- 9/10

Fantastic overall, we thought the quality in the MDR was a notch above NCL and a million miles above MSC. Nothing we didn't like. Lunch in the buffet was also fantastic. Breakfast I felt was better on NCL but still lots of choice. Perhaps just because it was a madhouse for breakfast it seemed like lots of trays were empty and couldn't find what we wanted. Sorrentos pizza was yummy at 1am! I was surprised at the limited buffet hours but maybe that's just an NCL thing to have it open all the time. We did not eat in any speciality venues as didn't see the need when the MDR food was so good. Didn't see anyone using Fish and Ships and not surprised.

Ports- 7/10

Not really relevant now she's headed to the US! But we loved Bruges, we did an RCI excursion and felt it well worth the money. We had a walking tour, boat tour and free time. It was well organised and the tour guide was great. We didn't get off in Le Havre as we can probably get to Paris faster from home than from Le Havre! It seemed like everyone else had the same idea and the ship was packed even though it was a port day.

So I think that's everything- I will get some photos posted too! Let me know if you have any questions and look after Indy when she arrives over there!

We were on the same cruise and mostly agree however our slightly different thoughts.

Had a hump balcony 8342 and 8344 superbly appointed maintained and of a good size.

They opened up Giovannis as an overflow for breakfast and there were always free seats in there.

You really should have stayed longer in The Bohemians Queen tribute group to give them one song is unfair to say the least.

We and I'm prettty sure the packed ordinance and there reactions to the show the singing and dancing would leave you in a minority.

Although in no way Queen they gave it there all for an hour and a mighty good go.

but again only our thoughts and we respect yours.

We've been lucky enough to cruise with RCI quite a few times and agree the shopping was hopeless think it has got worse over the years.

Maybe they were winding things down until it reached its new home port.

All in all we had a fantastic cruise.

8 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

We were on the same cruise and mostly agree however our slightly different thoughts.

Had a hump balcony 8342 and 8344 superbly appointed maintained and of a good size.

They opened up Giovannis as an overflow for breakfast and there were always free seats in there.

You really should have stayed longer in The Bohemians Queen tribute group to give them one song is unfair to say the least.

We and I'm prettty sure the packed ordinance and there reactions to the show the singing and dancing would leave you in a minority.

Although in no way Queen they gave it there all for an hour and a mighty good go.

but again only our thoughts and we respect yours.

We've been lucky enough to cruise with RCI quite a few times and agree the shopping was hopeless think it has got worse over the years.

Maybe they were winding things down until it reached its new home port.

All in all we had a fantastic cruise.

Ahh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Queen band weren't any good- just not for us as we're not big fans. The theatre seemed packed so although we saw a few others leaving, the majority seemed to enjoy it!

Glad you enjoyed the cruise as well

Thanks for the review.  We'll be on a 4 night in December. Can't wait. Great that you loved the food, service and ship overall.  That's disappointing about your room as I thought those perks were included (esp access to the suite lounge).  Wonder if its because it was a 3 nigher?  

41 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the review.  We'll be on a 4 night in December. Can't wait. Great that you loved the food, service and ship overall.  That's disappointing about your room as I thought those perks were included (esp access to the suite lounge).  Wonder if its because it was a 3 nigher?  

I got the letter in the cabin saying all the perks were included- I guess maybe you just had to ask for them? As we were never properly introduced to our steward I couldn't ask after the robes etc, I might have made more effort to chase them if it was a longer cruise. I have heard that usually you are not given the gold cards automatically and need to go and ask the concierge in the suite lounge so again I could have done that if I was bothered. It was worth the small extra cost for the cute cow cabin alone though!

I did also forget to mention we never used a single Ben and Jerries voucher! I'm not very good at using perks I guess lol. I liked the soft serve on the pool deck so was eating that instead. Kept meaning to take the vouchers down with me and give them away but always forgot to do it.

2 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Activities- 8/10

We managed to do the Sky Pad and thought it was great fun! I beat my husbands score so that made my day.

The Skypad is the trampoline? What kind of scoring is involved? I use to love trampolines before spinal surgery 😞

11 minutes ago, BillOh said:

The Skypad is the trampoline? What kind of scoring is involved? I use to love trampolines before spinal surgery 😞

Yes, it's 3 trampolines inside a big dome thing. You are harnessed in and put on a VR headset. You can choose from 3 games, myself and the hubby both chose the space robots one. You have to bounce away but also take part in the game- robots are shooting at you and you 'block' by looking straight at the shots. You get a score at the end. The other options were a candy game and I think she said a circus game. You can also do it without the VR if you want. You only get about 2 minutes play time. I'll try to add some pics, not used to this new forum format yet.

20181025_121705.jpg

20181025_123344.jpg

20181025_123500.jpg

1 minute ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Yes, it's 3 trampolines inside a big dome thing. You are harnessed in and put on a VR headset. You can choose from 3 games, myself and the hubby both chose the space robots one. You have to bounce away but also take part in the game- robots are shooting at you and you 'block' by looking straight at the shots. You get a score at the end. The other options were a candy game and I think she said a circus game. You can also do it without the VR if you want. You only get about 2 minutes play time. I'll try to add some pics, not used to this new forum format yet.

20181025_121705.jpg

20181025_123344.jpg

20181025_123500.jpg

Thanks, That is the first I have heard these details, I won't sail on a Skypad equipped ship till next fall on Mariner, I do believe.  Do you remember a weight limit? I'm currently at 225lb or 102kg. Time to lose if I'm close. 

2 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Thanks, That is the first I have heard these details, I won't sail on a Skypad equipped ship till next fall on Mariner, I do believe.  Do you remember a weight limit? I'm currently at 225lb or 102kg. Time to lose if I'm close. 

There must have been a weight limit as they weighed us before we got on, but I didn't see a sign saying what it was, sorry! Hopefully someone else knows it.

52 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I got the letter in the cabin saying all the perks were included- I guess maybe you just had to ask for them? As we were never properly introduced to our steward I couldn't ask after the robes etc, I might have made more effort to chase them if it was a longer cruise. I have heard that usually you are not given the gold cards automatically and need to go and ask the concierge in the suite lounge so again I could have done that if I was bothered. It was worth the small extra cost for the cute cow cabin alone though!

I did also forget to mention we never used a single Ben and Jerries voucher! I'm not very good at using perks I guess lol. I liked the soft serve on the pool deck so was eating that instead. Kept meaning to take the vouchers down with me and give them away but always forgot to do it.

Thanks for getting back to me.  We booked this stateroom for the perks which is why your comments worried me.  We can live without the daily Ben and Jerry ice cream (although our kids are mighty jealous on that one!) and the additional washroom additions, but it was the suite access in the evenings that made us jump on the room.  For that, we'll live/manage with the noise issue (and we laugh when we see how close that promenade bridge is where singers performing what looks like late at night).  So after your post, was thinking maybe we should switch to a balcony...or if they removed the suite access, then we would like to know as we would then bring on the 2 bottles of wine.  So sounds like we need to go up to the suite lounge first to get the special gold card?

Funny that you forgot all about the ice cream vouchers.

Edited by LuCruise

28 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for getting back to me.  We booked this stateroom for the perks which is why your comments worried me.  We can live without the daily Ben and Jerry ice cream (although our kids are mighty jealous on that one!) and the additional washroom additions, but it was the suite access in the evenings that made us jump on the room.  For that, we'll live/manage with the noise issue (and we laugh when we see how close that promenade bridge is where singers performing what looks like late at night).  So after your post, was thinking maybe we should switch to a balcony...or if they removed the suite access, then we would like to know as we would then bring on the 2 bottles of wine.  So sounds like we need to go up to the suite lounge first to get the special gold card?

Uhm my DW can speak for herself. I'll use the Ben and Jerry's perk. 🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Yes that's what I've heard in other posts- your card usually isn't automatically loaded with access to the suite lounge, but if you go in and ask then the concierge will sort you out. The one time I tailgated someone in there the concierge wasn't on duty so I didn't find out for sure. The letter in the cabin does say for sure that you are allowed access. It also stated that a special card was enclosed to access the suite lounge but of course it wasn't there. We did get the vouchers so you won't have to live without ice cream!!

It certainly is close to the bridge where they perform! Like I say not a cabin for those who like early nights. When there was not live music we couldn't hear any other noise disturbance from the promenade though. I liked being able to hear the singers they had out in the early evening while getting ready for dinner.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I'm on the Indy transatlantic now. While having a wander round, I think I spotted it saying 220lbs was the upper weight limit for the Skypad.

Hope you are having a great cruise, is the weather any better yet? Thanks for answering the weight limit question!

Some pictures of the other recent additions to Indy:

20181025_114740.thumb.jpg.d5e6a51605990f50ca74af2aa09ad5d6.jpg

20181025_122231.thumb.jpg.5396e012988af82a691e3d1388d1f685.jpg

20181025_144107.thumb.jpg.999dd69ec47b359a32e4995460d26a99.jpg

PA272736.thumb.JPG.d9bd340928fd6a9ec796764f1d15f6c1.JPG

PA272737.thumb.JPG.22d3a5a85e9e2b538fb3cd220e8eccdb.JPG

Personally I think the Fish n Ships prices are ridiculous- I don't generally object to items being sold for a small upcharge on cruises, but this is more expensive then your local chippy, and from what I hear not that nice.

The Ben and Jerries Sweet- view onto the promenade

20181025_132012.thumb.jpg.f3eb736ebdbbe4a0527af7abc682b7ce.jpg

Cow items

20181025_132046.thumb.jpg.a08692aa49fb34c7bc40761ffc64e316.jpg

20181025_132811.thumb.jpg.a3decf80c3fb88695c94d966f084111d.jpg

The 'Ben and Jerries Sweet' plaque was missing from outside the door, which is a shame. There was a mark where it once was so I'm wondering if someone prised it off and stole it?!

A fruit plate was awaiting us in the cabin

20181025_132757.thumb.jpg.fcee655ff06336f857e4ff2ad8edf331.jpg

Canapes delivered on formal night that we did not try

PA262585.thumb.JPG.020985cb2019fe11e1af3cda14fa919a.JPG

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Thanks so much for the review.  We will be on her in January and looking forward to a great cruise.  We will be in a Promenade room also.  We love the rooms for the view and the little extra room.  I will admit that we are more night people and most often don't get back to the room until after midnight.  Glad you had a good cruise.  

Thanks so much for the excellent and balanced review. I am planning a cruise for a music group I belonged to and we were able to secure the pyramid lounge on Indy for 3 private events in Nov 2019. Not an easy task, but my friend who I am working with managed the impossible. Although I am very excited I was concerned about some of the reviews with crowding issues, bad food and wild drunken crowd. Since a lot of people are depending on me, I have been concerned. Although we are looking to have fun, since our cruise group is about music, we are a group mainly 40s to 60s so we are old, lol. But the ship sounds and looks great and perfect for what we are looking for. Thanks again.