Alaska Cruisers -- Please help me pick an itinerary!

Kfamilycruise

On 11/20/2018 at 12:49 PM, BarbinMich said:

I hadn't thought of that, since we rarely do tours, except those arranged by other folks (and sometimes me) on our roll calls and have never felt the need to one except do one in Alaska except forĀ whale-watching at Juneau, which are frequent .Ā  In Ketchikan, one can walk to the local sites including to the funicular that takes one up to the ridge for great views overlooking the town, the inside passage, etc.Ā  In Juneau, one can take the tram up Mt. Roberts where there are fabulous views, eagles soaring at eye level to you, and a rustic restaurant where you can have a meal or just something to drink.Ā  There is also an inexpensive school bus that goes out to Lake Mendenhall for views of that glacier, its beautiful lake, and Nugget Falls.Ā  In Skagway, there's the train that takes you out along one of the ridges west of town with views of the valley below.Ā ļ»æ None of these are free, but they're cheaper than taking a tour.Ā  Of course, if one wants to be more adventurous there are the more expensive float plane trips, etc.

Great suggestions, thanks!

I don't think any of thoseĀ 3 choices are particularly strong.Ā  The port times are very limiting if you planned on getting out and enjoying the sights of Alaska.Ā  Ā Fine if all you want to do is wander around and look at jewelry stores and ride the tram and funicularĀ .Ā  With more port times, and less sea days you don't have to worry about keeping your kids entertained on the ship; they'll be on shore enjoying the sights and activities.Ā Ā 

As gardyloo pointed out, Vancouver is another option to explore.Ā  The Vancouver itineraries are superior .... port days of 8 hrs or more so you will have time to see and do more in Alaska, plus HAL includesTracy Arm AND Glacier Bay. Plus Vancouver is a fantastic city.

I just booked an Alaskan cruise for next August, Ā There were two main focus points of booking.... Glacier Bay and the most time in Skagway to explore the Yukon. Ā While it was slightly more than other itineraries, I donā€™t was to wish I would have booked it since this may be the only opportunity to visit Alaska.Ā 

On 11/20/2018 at 6:49 PM, BarbinMich said:

I hadn't thought of that, since we rarely do tours, except those arranged by other folks (and sometimes me) on our roll calls and have never felt the need to one except do one in Alaska except forĀ whale-watching at Juneau, which are frequent .Ā  In Ketchikan, one can walk to the local sites including to the funicular that takes one up to the ridge for great views overlooking the town, the inside passage, etc.Ā  In Juneau, one can take the tram up Mt. Roberts where there are fabulous views, eagles soaring at eye level to you, and a rustic restaurant where you can have a meal or just something to drink.Ā  There is also an inexpensive school bus that goes out to Lake Mendenhall for views of that glacier, its beautiful lake, and Nugget Falls.Ā  In Skagway, there's the train that takes you out along one of the ridges west of town with views of the valley below.Ā  None of these are free, but they're cheaper than taking a tour.Ā  Of course, if one wants to be more adventurous there are the more expensive float plane trips, etc.

These are sort of weak excursions IMO. If this makes you happy, that is great. I would be bored with these.

7 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

I don't think any of thoseĀ 3 choices are particularly strong.Ā  The port times are very limiting if you planned on getting out and enjoying the sights of Alaska.Ā  Ā Fine if all you want to do is wander around and look at jewelry stores and ride the tram and funicularĀ .Ā  With more port times, and less sea days you don't have to worry about keeping your kids entertained on the ship; they'll be on shore enjoying the sights and activities.Ā Ā 

As gardyloo pointed out, Vancouver is another option to explore.Ā  The Vancouver itineraries are superior .... port days of 8 hrs or more so you will have time to see and do more in Alaska, plus HAL includesTracy Arm AND Glacier Bay. Plus Vancouver is a fantastic city.

This is my main point - the port times are very limiting for shore excursions. One really shouldn't spend the time and money to get there and then just wander around or focus their entertainment/enjoyment on the ship - they can do this in the Caribbean. Focus should be on Alaska.

Edited by Coral

On 10/31/2018 at 4:03 PM, Kfamilycruise said:

My boys are 10, 14 and 16 at time of sailing. The older kids always hang out at the teen club and the younger one usually prefers hanging out with us and doing the activities around the ship -- his favorite of which is the hot tub. He really likes waterslides, but not sure how much of that he'd be doing on an Alaskan cruise anyway.Ā 

Ā 

I really like bigger ships and I loved that the NCL Bliss and Joy have observation areas where you can stay warm inside.

Ā 

It seems like Princess has the best itineraries for Alaska. We have to have connecting rooms, so that leaves the Coral and Golden out. Other options are Royal and Island Princess or on Royal Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas.

Ā 

All of those itineraries seem much better, with longer times in port and cruising by at least one glacier.Ā 

I suggest getting your ten-year-old and perhaps the other two their own binoculars for Christmas. WhenĀ  my son was 10 we went camping and stopped off at a park on Campobello Island and my son was so fascinated that he "might" be able to see seals out on the ocean that he grabbed the binoculars from his sister and refused to give them back. I had to drag him out of the park to catch the ferry and he did not want to leave. So if you give them all binoculars, their attention might turn to the ocean instead of what's on the ship and if they all have their own, there won't be any fights.Ā 

I would not do any of those itineraries. Keep looking. You should really consider a one way, what you see on those cruises is not the best of Alaska, only a portion of the southeast rain forest.

Edited by zqvol

On 11/22/2018 at 7:53 PM, Joeghartman said:

I just booked an Alaskan cruise for next August, Ā There were two main focus points of booking.... Glacier Bay and the most time in Skagway to explore the Yukon. Ā While it was slightly more than other itineraries, I donā€™t was to wish I would have booked it since this may be the only opportunity to visit Alaska.Ā 

can i ask what line/ship you booked with

I second all of the posters that commented on not selecting the cruise by ship.Ā  We bit the bullet and took our (then) 5 year old on Princess for her first trip to Alaska earlier this year.Ā  I think she went to the kids club twice the entire week. We did a northbound trip from Vancouver (which included Glacier Bay and College Fjord).Ā  In fact, she loved Alaska so much that she requested to go back for her birthday (so about 2 months later...). We did not go back two months later, but have booked another cruise to Alaska for her birthday this year.Ā  We are cruising on the same ship, but RT out of Seattle this year.Ā  It's very important to know what you want to get out of Alaska or you could feel let down.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

we originally booked on the ncl joy. however, that ship was not goin to skagway, so i cancelled and chose the bliss. and the reason for the bliss was because it has the race car and laser lights (we are traveling w/our 16 yo gd & wanted to make sure she enjoy the ship as much as the trip). i found this trip to be the worse ever to plan.

OP, only consider sailing out of Vancouver unless riding the high seas is your thing!?!

Islip, if race cars and laser lights take a priority, why bother. How. About race dogs and northern lights? I think that the young lady would have more lasting memories from these unique to alaska things....

just guessin here...

Happy sailing to all!

DD

3 hours ago, dyeadave said:

How. About race dogs and northern lights?

Please do the northern lights dance for us!!! haha.Ā  2-3 sailings before ours this year the lights were out on the way to Skagway from Juneau.Ā  The KP index was high when we visited but it was never dark enough.Ā  At least looking at our August 2019 sailing on the sunrise/sunset by date shows astronomical twilight on our dates. I think my child fusses every time we are in the north and we don't see them.Ā  Next shot in a few weeks...

How about a bear dance?!?

A small bear is sleeping under one of my buses which is parked in the garden lot between my house and the house of my BIL.

the little bruin emerges just long enough to gorge on the apples from our trees and then back under the bus he goes to sleep it off.

we are trying to get a permit to live trap and relocate but this has to come from the state, so who knows if we get this in time before the apple supply runs out......

Wish you were here!

DD

5 hours ago, dyeadave said:

How about a bear dance?!?

A small bear is sleeping under one of my buses which is parked in the garden lot between my house and the house of my BIL.

the little bruin emerges just long enough to gorge on the apples from our trees and then back under the bus he goes to sleep it off.

we are trying to get a permit to live trap and relocate but this has to come from the state, so who knows if we get this in time before the apple supply runs out......

Wish you were here!

DD

She would love to see that, too! We saw a bear somewhere outside of Fraser earlier this year. She said it looked cuddly and she wanted to hug it. Um, absolutely not! 5 (now 6) year olds...... šŸ˜‚