Just Returned - Sea Princess - Around Australia

diane.in.ny

Can you confirm your gratuities were included as the Sea Princess is based in Australia? Everything I've read states that but I would like confirmation regarding US passengers.

Although we are NZers I can state that for NZers and Aussies the DSC was included in our fares.  However I am sure you will find that they are NOT for Americans and Canadians.

3 minutes ago, casofilia said:

... we will be doing Australia and New Zealand B2B2B cruises on the Sun Princess in February. 

Are you doing NCL shorex or do you want some ideas for New Zealand?

Mike

I guess a typo, but not sure NCL will let them do tours if they’re sailing with Princess. 😛😱🤪

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:38 AM, diane.in.ny said:

I've got the first post up. It is about using the Opal card in Sydney.  I did a lot of research before the trip and still found there was a lot I didn't know

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com

Thanks for your post. A question about the Opal Card. How did you decide how much to put on the Opal Card?  What happens with any unused money?

Did you bring any AU $ with you or get $ from the ATM at the airport?

Thanks again. 

Tom😀

Hello Tom

We use an Opal card whenever we visit Australia so can't help with what to do with anything left on it at the end of a cruise.

I think you will be able to start with $35 if getting a new one at the Airport as there is a hefty charge ($14.30) to get to or from there.   That was what I had to put on ours when I topped up there last time.   But again that was using an Australian bankcard.

Officially the statement is:-

The minimum cost is $10 for adult cards, $5 for child cards (seniors and concession Opal cards must be ordered online). There is no fee for the card itself; all of the minimum $ top-up is available for travel on public transport. Subsequent top-ups can be made in $10 increments for adults and less for children/seniors.

Mike

24 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Hello Tom

We use an Opal card whenever we visit Australia so can't help with what to do with anything left on it at the end of a cruise.

I think you will be able to start with $35 if getting a new one at the Airport as there is a hefty charge ($14.30) to get to or from there.   That was what I had to put on ours when I topped up there last time.   But again that was using an Australian bankcard.

Officially the statement is:-

The minimum cost is $10 for adult cards, $5 for child cards (seniors and concession Opal cards must be ordered online). There is no fee for the card itself; all of the minimum $ top-up is available for travel on public transport. Subsequent top-ups can be made in $10 increments for adults and less for children/seniors.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. 

You our talked about a ATM machine at the airport. Any fees to use it?

I’m going to be there for 2 days. Any suggestions as to what to see or any tours to take?

Is their UBER in Sydney?  If so I plan to use it as it’s a flat fare. 

Thanks again for responding to my questions. As you can see I’ve never been to Australia before so any help/suggestions much appreciated. 

As as a Senior from the US I assume we still pay the Adult fare. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. 

You our talked about a ATM machine at the airport. Any fees to use it?   Don't think I did!!   You can buy Opal cards at Newslink or WH Smith bookshops at either terminal. You can also buy them at the Airport stations.   There is an actual bank in the airport that I use as I have an Australian bank account so have no idea about an ATM machine.  They also have exchange as do some independent operators.

I’m going to be there for 2 days. Any suggestions as to what to see or any tours to take?  The Opera House is a must but get a booking.  Take the ferry to Manly and walk to the beach then the ferry back.  Take a ferry to Parramatta, walk through the town and get a train back to the city.

Train to Museum Station then walk through Hyde Park, past (or into) St Mary's Cathedral and the Art Gallery of NSW (look out for the "plaque" to Michel Angelo (sic); through the Botanic Gardens to Mrs Macquarie's Chair and then back to Circular Quay.

Walk the bridge at ground level or do the Bridge Climb.

Is their UBER in Sydney?  If so I plan to use it as it’s a flat fare.   No Idea but Mr Google says yes!!

Thanks again for responding to my questions. As you can see I’ve never been to Australia before so any help/suggestions much appreciated. 

As as a Senior from the US I assume we still pay the Adult fare. Yes; they don't even recognise our Senior's Card!!

All the best

Mike

Tom😀

2 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thanks for your post. A question about the Opal Card. How did you decide how much to put on the Opal Card?  What happens with any unused money?

Did you bring any AU $ with you or get $ from the ATM at the airport?

Thanks again. 

Tom😀

Hi Tom

I used the website that I linked to in my post to estimate the amount I would need. I put AUD$50 on each card and we have AUD$23 left over on each card. (The cards are good for 9 yrs and if you'd like a great deal on our two ... you can email me at my username @gmail.com). We took a taxi from the airport to our hotel (and back again ... we stayed over a night) as we are not up to handling luggage on a train. (That reminds me ... if you'll be heading to the airport right after you disembark, the cost of the Princess transfers is a great deal vs taking a taxi.)

As I mentioned in the post, what caught me off guard was not being charged for the RT fare what with not getting off the ferry. Plus the fact our one day of travel at the end was a Sunday.

I did not bring any AUD$ with me. I always used an ATM and all bank ATMs that I used had an AUD$2 fee. And yes, I started at an ATM at the airport. I used add'l ATMs because we had private tours booked that I needed cash for. And I have a daily limit on how much I can withdraw so I had to use 2 ATMs just for that. Then used a third when we needed a bit more cash.

Love the blog and the photos!  Do you happen to know the charge for Ice Cream or Milk shakes at venues other than the dining rooms/buffet?  Our booking included a Sip 'N' Sail (which in the US includes Milkshakes) but the Sea Princess page on the Princess website indicates that they serve a NZ ice cream for which an extra charge applies. 

Thanks,

Greg

10 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

Love the blog and the photos!  Do you happen to know the charge for Ice Cream or Milk shakes at venues other than the dining rooms/buffet?  Our booking included a Sip 'N' Sail (which in the US includes Milkshakes) but the Sea Princess page on the Princess website indicates that they serve a NZ ice cream for which an extra charge applies. 

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks so much for the blog/photos compliment.

Based on conversations I had with others, it was AUD$5. We only had ice cream in the MDR which in my (and my husband's) opinion is fair. I wanted to try the NZ ice cream to compare. The AUD$5 didn't stop me ... just the fact that the right opportunity never presented itself.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:47 PM, Thrak said:

Our first ever cruise was on Sea Princess. 10 day round trip SF/Alaska. We had the absolute tiniest cabin (A323 - 135 sq. ft) way forward. I had to go outside to change my mind. Loved the cruise and it got us totally hooked. :classic_smile:) Sea Princess has a wonderfully wide Promenade Deck.

Our first cruise was on the Sea Princess as well. Back in the 90’s. We thought it was a beautiful ship and loved the Promenade Deck.