swap key cards - teens in room

CCJack

I posted the same question a long while ago, but would like to know if anyone has any updates.  We are booked on the Meraviglia in December, my wife and I and teen children.   Teens are 16 and 17 and MSC required that we book one teen and one adult in each room.  We would want to swap rooms to have the two teens together.  Options are for one parent and one kid just to swap key cards while on the ship.   Would this stop us from making on board purchases (if photo is checked when you purchase something.)   Other option is to ask for an extra non- charge keycard that only opens the stateroom.   I understand MSC may or may not do this, based on other posts. 

Has anyone had recent experience with this.  

thank you.

We are often in this situation (on other cruise lines), but we always try to get connecting cabins.  That way, we can open one cabin and still access the other through the interior door which we always prop open. 

If your cabins are not connecting, I would ask for extra room keys, but understand that they may not make that accommodation for you.  May be worth asking a supervisor to make a final decision if you don't get the answer you're looking for up front.  With drinks packages linked to the card, I'd find it very difficult to decide to swap cards.

Msc don’t give out extra keys. On the seaside they let us swap cabins with our teenage kids with no problem. They printed new cards and everyting was fine. Same situation on the preziosa: we were told that there always had to be an adult in the room, so no way they could help us (both times in yc1).

I think it depends on the good will of the concierge/guest service person.

4 hours ago, sidari said:

If you are given a new card the old one is deleted.

I don't know about MSC (as some have said here, MSC won't do this), but on Disney Cruiseline, we've asked for and received blank cards to use as extra room keys.  They are able to issue cards to staff for entering guest rooms.  I don't see why they couldn't issue an extra card to a passenger as well (if they wanted to).

The minimum age to sail unaccompanied is 21 when departing from USA ports and 18 when departing from International ports. Underage children must be accompanied by a parent or responsible adult (21 or 18) who expressly agrees to be responsible for the minor and is booked in the same or connecting/nearby stateroom/suite. Passengers under age 21 (for cruises that include a USA port) or under the age of 18 (for cruises that do not include a USA port) may not order or consume alcoholic beverages or participate in gambling....

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Contact/Contacts-Faq.aspx