TA changed price after already confirmed

Hendy59

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

OP,  Has your  TA  'seen the light'   and    acknowledged this is their error?  Hopefully they  thought a bout this issue and now recognize they have to make you whole.    It is just plain and simple good business to admit their error and open  their  checkbook. 

Did you   ask them about errors and omissions insurance?         Unimaginea ble  to me they don't have coverage.  All by itself, that says a  ton bout them  IMO

I have not heard a word from the original agent that I spoke too.  I have not had a chance to do anything yet because of a death in the family.  I am not back and will look at my options.  I plan to call the original agent that booked our trip and see what she has to say about all of this.

1 hour ago, Love2cruise77 said:

The question is who made the error.  If HAL's system was at fault, it's not the TA's fault that the price initially quoted was wrong.  If the TA gave an incorrect quote, then the TA should eat the mistake.

Which country are you from OP?  Which cruise did you book and was there some kind of promotion with free air involved?

We are in the US.  From what I understand, the agent booked everything and then when it went over to HAL it came back with additional airfare.  I believe this would have been the agents fault but not really sure.

Just now, Hendy59 said:

We are in the US.  From what I understand, the agent booked everything and then when it went over to HAL it came back with additional airfare.  I believe this would have been the agents fault but not really sure.

It does sound like the agent is at fault.  When we making bookings for our clients, we book them directly in HAL's system and will send you a confirmation from HAL.  If this agent sent you something from HAL, then he/she did make the booking in their system and HAL changed the promo, but if the invoice is from the agency, then the agent made a mistake in the quote and should honor it.  When we make mistakes, we have to own it.  If HAL changes the price, then it's not up to us to correct their mistakes.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:27 AM, Alberta Quilter said:

I"m sorry, I think this is ridiculous!  The OP was told what the cost was and accepted it.  If he/she was given an incorrect amount how the heck would he/she know?  There were three airfares on the confirmation.  We all know how different airfares can be with various booking agents, from day to day, even hour to hour.  

Personally, I think Jammu2 is correct with their post above.  Split the cost difference.  It's not great but it's not worth fighting over $500, either, on a $50K deal.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:18 AM, Homosassa said:

The OP is part of a group booking and paid only for his cabin. He did not pay the whole $50,000 fares.

Maybe we should reverse the question. If the TA overcharged him by $550, would the OP smile and say that's OK, just keep the money or would the OP demand a refund?

You are correct there are 3 airfares on the confirmation and a total amount due less my deposit.

Yes I am only part of the group, I only pay my portion.

5 minutes ago, Love2cruise77 said:

It does sound like the agent is at fault.  When we making bookings for our clients, we book them directly in HAL's system and will send you a confirmation from HAL.  If this agent sent you something from HAL, then he/she did make the booking in their system and HAL changed the promo, but if the invoice is from the agency, then the agent made a mistake in the quote and should honor it.  When we make mistakes, we have to own it.  If HAL changes the price, then it's not up to us to correct their mistakes.

My original confirmation was from HAL.  

Thank you everyone for your opinion on this issue.  Believe me this is not going to ruin my trip!

3 hours ago, Hendy59 said:

If the agent made the error -- the agent should pay the difference.  JMO

OP,  any progress on your TA making  your circumstance better?      Fingers crossed   they have done all else for your booking with no more er o rs.  Who knows what else they may have done about which you do not yet have knowledge?    I hope they do the right thing as to this pricing issue.  Good luck  and hopefully you'll be back to share good news.

Edited by sail7seas

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

OP,  any progress on your TA making  your circumstance better?      Fingers crossed   they have done all else for your booking with no more er o rs.  Who knows what else they may have done about which you do not yet have knowledge?    I hope they do the right thing as to this pricing issue.  Good luck  and hopefully you'll be back to share good news.

I just sent the TA and email so I have everything in writing.  Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

The TA emailed me back and of course she says she told me but I took very good notes as I was talking to her when I booked and there is nothing about extra.  this is what she said 

"I am sorry there was a misunderstanding.  I did mention that the 3rd passenger will have a lower price for cruise fare, and that their air fare was full but discounted price.  Holland only gives air credit to passengers 1 and 2." So I responded back "Then why was this not included in the confirmation I received on Oct 25?"  I let a day go by and she did not respond so i sent the same message again and now 2 more days have gone by and still no response.  I think she is ignoring me now.  I am going to try to find someone higher up in the agency to email.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:21 PM, Hendy59 said:

The TA emailed me back and of course she says she told me but I took very good notes as I was talking to her when I booked and there is nothing about extra.  this is what she said 

"I am sorry there was a misunderstanding.  I did mention that the 3rd passenger will have a lower price for cruise fare, and that their air fare was full but discounted price.  Holland only gives air credit to passengers 1 and 2." So I responded back "Then why was this not included in the confirmation I received on Oct 25?"  I let a day go by and she did not respond so i sent the same message again and now 2 more days have gone by and still no response.  I think she is ignoring me now.  I am going to try to find someone higher up in the agency to email.

personally, i would have no  trust in this person and would not deal wi th her.  Her actions and reactions are not whagt  i describe  as honorable.   it's a matter of  wait and see what she does next.   IMO

• Like 1

Well, I finally heard back after I sent another email and told her she was ruining the reputation of her agency by not responding to me.  I also copied customer service on that email.  She told me that is how it is and there is nothing they can do about it.  She said she would forward my email to her supervisor, but I have not heard anything from them and I don't expect to hear from them. We will never deal with this agency again no matter how great of a deal they offer. I will chalk this up to a lesson learned and will only deal with top name agencies who care about their business.  I will always get the full price in writing before I make any kind of deposit on the trip.  

I will definitely write a Yelp review because people need to know what they are dealing with.  

Thank you to everyone who responded, I really appreciate your thoughts.  This is not going to ruin my trip.  We will have an amazing time because Alaska is beautiful!!

• Like 1

Alaska is so beautiful. Our top 2 cruises ever have been to Alaska on HAL. What you have described with your TA would absolutely positively fry me too if not just on principle. Sounds like you will Yelp the heck out of them (try Tripadvisor too and good for you unless they make it right) Then get on that ship as planned, have a magnificent time with your group and it sounds like you will with your positive attitude!  The one thing none of us can do is buy more time with our loved ones as they age, so don't let the TA issue take one second more of that from you. The good news is you do have control going forward with who you do business with which can sometimes be more WAY more satisfying in the long run than a small claims lawsuit. Have a great trip and enjoy every minute!             

• Like 1