Bathroom smells like a litter box

audcc77

When we arrived on Monday the bathroom smelled like a litter box. My friend said it was the caulking so I asked the room steward to deodorize it if possible. That’s been done a few times now, and each time I’ve told guest services. The supervisor of housekeeping says there is nothing more they can do. 

Each time we step into the bathroom, this overwhelming wave of cat pee hits us in the face. 

Am am I being too fussy?

is there some other caulk they should use?  My husband says this should have dissipated after 24 hrs. 

Thoughts?

"Cat pee" might be what you think you smell, but it probably is indeed just regular caulking with an off-gas that reminds you of cat pee.  Although there are so-called low-odor caulking substances out there, the best bet is to ventilate.  Do you have a balcony?  If so, maybe prop open the balcony door for an hour or two with the bathroom door also open.  If no balcony, maybe open up cabin door for a while instead, and just hang out for 30 min?

if the bathroom door is closed all the time, it will take a lot longer to dissipate.

This is why i always bring with me one of those glad pop up air freshers and leave it on  one of the shelves in the bathroom. At the end of the cruise, i just toss it in the trash can. 

GUEST_5aec6f10-fdfb-412e-bba4-d2ea89d377f9.jpg

Edited by shof515

I always travel with a small can of Ozium.  It's very powerful deodorizer, just a quick spritz will eliminate any odor. 

I also as soon as I get to my cabin upon embarkation run the shower, sink and if there is a floor drain pour a couple of cups of water in it to refill the p trap.

1 hour ago, okgirl said:

I always travel with a small can of Ozium.  It's very powerful deodorizer, just a quick spritz will eliminate any odor. 

I also as soon as I get to my cabin upon embarkation run the shower, sink and if there is a floor drain pour a couple of cups of water in it to refill the p trap.

Yes that ozium is great stuff. Should have brought that. The stuff I brought made no difference at all. 

56 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Next cruise bring a litter box with deodorizing crystals for the bathroom. It will lend a " you are there " effect. From your avatar I'd say we both know this to be true 😉 

I hate that smell.  So much so, that I toss our gravel litter every other day.  

Maybe I am just overly sensitive to ammonia smell. 

They deodorized for the third time and I still smell it.  I’m putting my fan in there and maybe that will help with the doors open. 

Thanks all.