Behind the scenes tour-Allure

Was on the Allure 10/6/18.  We did a behind the scenes kitchen tour with a lunch.  Not sure of the price, but somehow the maitre d worked it out so it counted as meal on our specialty meal package.  If you have never done a kitchen tour it was pretty interesting.  Lots of industrial stainless steel.  Amazing to actually see all the food prep that has to take place.  Not sure I would do it a second time though, but interesting if you haven't done it before.

I did the "all access" tour when I sailed Allure in August. You get to see the food prep and storage areas for the kitchens, the laundry area, the big refrigerator/freezers, the bridge, and the control room where they monitor the engines. You're given an ear piece to wear so you can hear the tour guide even when you're in the noisy parts of the ship. As a "gift" at the end of the tour, we were given a tiny piece of rope and instructions on how to make sailor knots. The tour guide also could answer almost no answers from any of the guests, she would just keep saying "Um, I'll have to get back to you on that," like she was going to find us after the tour had ended to give us an answer LOL. 

If you've never had a behind-the-scenes tour, you'll enjoy it. But if you've been on other tours, this one will be a letdown, which is sad because it's such a big ship it has the potential to be really great!

I did the behind the scenes tour on Caribbean Princess, and in addition to those areas you saw on allure, you also go to go backstage in the theater to see how everything works, dressing rooms, costumes, rigging, etc. They took you to the anchor room, or whatever you call that space in the front of the ship that holds the anchor chains and ropes for docking. You got to see the printing press for all of the daily newsletters, you got to walk up into restricted areas high up in the smokestacks behind the facades, and even got to see where they store the bodies if/when people die on board. Instead of a piece of rope, you received a Princess Apron as a thank you for visiting the kitchen, a tray of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine delivered to your room later, along with an 8x10 photo of your tour group taken while on tour. Also, when we were on the bridge, we had champagne and bites to eat, and the captain talked to us and answered a ton of questions, whereas on the Allure, no one said a word to us on the bridge.