Hawaii

bren51

We are currently on the Caribbean Princess and booked a cruise to Hawaii for April 2020 first time there.  My question is the weather and ship.  We have chosen Emerald out of LA.  We were last on her in 2010.  I am looking for any assistance from fellow cruisers regarding this particular voyage.  I have plenty of the time to make changes  if need be.  I just want warm weather in order to be able to use pools on board.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, bren51 said:

We are currently on the Caribbean Princess and booked a cruise to Hawaii for April 2020 first time there.  My question is the weather and ship.  We have chosen Emerald out of LA.  We were last on her in 2010.  I am looking for any assistance from fellow cruisers regarding this particular voyage.  I have plenty of the time to make changes  if need be.  I just want warm weather in order to be able to use pools on board.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

The weather will most likely be cool the first 2 to 3 days. Sweatshirt or cover up weather. Could be a little warmer in April with the higher sun angle. It's not like the Caribbean. Once you cross the Tropic of Cancer, usually on day 3, weather becomes tropical. We have experienced both rough and calm seas. If you get sea sick don't forget to bring along your meds. The last days on the return to Ensenada and the trip from there to L.A. can also be cool and choppy. There will be people around the pools no matter what the weather.

I prefer a smaller ship when sailing anywhere (including Hawaii).  The Emerald has an extra deck.  Tendering in Lahaina will be slightly more time consuming.  

If you could move your cruise up to February or Early March, you will have a much better chance of seeing whales.  Yes, they are still here in April, but many have already started  the migration back to Alaska.

Weather and sea conditions are not very predictable.  Spring is a very nice time to visit the islands, but bring rain gear (umbrella, rain parka, etc).

• Like 1

We've done this itinerary a few times ... this is what we've learned:

You do have to like your sea days (we love them so this is a great itinerary for us)

You will most likely hit some rocky seas the first couple days out and the last couple days back (you could be lucky and have smooth seas but it is more likely that you will encounter rough seas)

The Emerald does not have an indoor pool (which is a requirement for us as the weather may be on the cool side the first few days out and back) 

Now, all of that out of the way ... this is a great itinerary with some great ports of call.  Hopefully, they will have some good activities centered around Hawaiian culture onboard and hopefully a great naturalist onboard.  

We did the Vancouver to Hawaii cruise last month on the Emerald.   The first 2 or 3 sea days heading out of Vancouver were cool.  Then the last 2 days or so on the way back were cool too.  Might be warmer coming and going from LA.

There is a strong current flowing southward from Alaska all along the west coast of North America.  That explains the cool weather the first couple of days out from the coast.  I would not let it deter me from ever doing that cruise.  I would be more apt to let spring break from schools deter me from taking a vacation in the spring season.