Nieuw Amsterdam: balcony dividers and fridges

Suburbanette

On the Nieuw Amsterdam:

Can the balcony partitions (dividers) be removed on any of the balcony (verandah) cabins? Or,  just certain ones? Specifically, I'm looking into cabins on Deck 7 aft VE and VD categories. We'll be getting several in a row and would like the dividers removed, if allowed.

In those same cabins, are there refrigerators?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Suburbanette said:

On the Nieuw Amsterdam:

Can the balcony partitions (dividers) be removed on any of the balcony (verandah) cabins? Or,  just certain ones? Specifically, I'm looking into cabins on Deck 7 aft VE and VD categories. We'll be getting several in a row and would like the dividers removed, if allowed.

In those same cabins, are there refrigerators?

Thanks!

I'm not sure of HAL's general policy on balcony dividers, but most lines leave this to the Captain's discretion as to whether they can be opened (not removed) or not, and how many total on the ship at one time, and how many in a row.  Per SOLAS, all balcony dividers must be able to be opened, on ships built after 2006, but that is for emergency use.  The only dividers that have a blanket prohibition on opening for passenger convenience are between cabins that are in different fire zones (there is a door in the passageway between the cabins).

Edited by chengkp75

Good to know! Thanks! And, oops yes, "opened" is what i should have said, not "removed."

26 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm not sure of HAL's general policy on balcony dividers, but most lines leave this to the Captain's discretion as to whether they can be opened (not removed) or not, and how many total on the ship at one time, and how many in a row.  Per SOLAS, all balcony dividers must be able to be opened, on ships built after 2006, but that is for emergency use.  The only dividers that have a blanket prohibition on opening for passenger convenience are between cabins that are in different fire zones (there is a door in the passageway between the cabins).

25 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

There is a small black knob at the top that your cabin steward uses to lock the door in place so that it doesn't bang.

enhance

enhance

Ah, I see. It's just a section that opens, not the whole thing. I've never seen that configuration before on other ships. Thanks for the photos.

Edited by Suburbanette
spelling