Odd question, I know :) Anyone have experience with the teeth whitening at the spa?

sheltielover1973

I'm a retired dental professional and I would suggest that you do not do this.  You have no idea what type of whitener they're using.  These people are not professionals, they're spa people.  What if you had an allergic reaction to the solution they're using?  What if it does not work (to be honest a one time tooth whitening procedure is unlikely to do much at all).  If you want to have your teeth whitened, please find the time to have them done at your dental office.  If you can't find the time, please wait until after your cruise.  This is not a procedure for amateurs.  Now, if you really want some whitening, you can buy the Crest White Strips, which contain a low percentage of bleach and are relatively harmless.  It will not whiten substantially overnight, but will give you some results after a few day.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I'm a retired dental professional and I would suggest that you do not do this.  You have no idea what type of whitener they're using.  These people are not professionals, they're spa people.  What if you had an allergic reaction to the solution they're using?  What if it does not work (to be honest a one time tooth whitening procedure is unlikely to do much at all).  If you want to have your teeth whitened, please find the time to have them done at your dental office.  If you can't find the time, please wait until after your cruise.  This is not a procedure for amateurs.  Now, if you really want some whitening, you can buy the Crest White Strips, which contain a low percentage of bleach and are relatively harmless.  It will not whiten substantially overnight, but will give you some results after a few day.

Thank you!! This is really great advice!!! Going to go to my dentist!!

They use a "brand" that's available throughout the us but appears to be more popular at salons in the UK...I'm forgetting the name of it right now.  As you might expect, the price onboard is inflated over what you could find it for on land and, as was suggested above, isn't likely to do much more than Crest whiterner strips. I did give it a whirl on board last year, and results were okay-- i hadn't had the patience to deal with days of Crest strips.

What amazes me is that people are doing botox and injectibles on board...when it comes to filler, i want to know i can go back to my guy's office if i end up "lumpy"!

Other than a mani/pedi, I would never have any kind of invasive procedure done on a cruiseship.  It's just an invitation for poor results, or worse, infection or allergic reaction.  Leave it to the professionals at home that you trust.

• Like 1

Crest white stips or even Go Smile which is easy to use too. Both will brighten you up a bit.  I have done it both ways and professionally whitened too at dentist. Having had it done with dentist, I would never have it done again. It was very painful and you don't want that to have anything like that happen while you are on your cruise.