Queen Mary 2 2019 newbies help pls!

chefandthedancer

I wish you a great cruise.  We sailed the QM2 a few years ago.

For ideas about the actual ship I would post on the Cunard Cruise Line Board.

For ideas on what to do in each port the ports of call boards have a wealth of information.

Keith  

• Thanks 1

Welcome to cruise critic. The QM2 is a wonderful ship and it is actually a liner as opposed to a cruise ship. Make sure you really explore every little corridor on the ship, it is full of history plaques, art and photos to see. Check out the Planetarium and 3d cinema, the Queens ball room for afternoon teas and the dancing in the evenings.  Also get to the more modern dancing of G32 behind the queens ball room.

• Thanks 1

A few tips off the top of my head:

The enrichment lectures are first-rate - go to ones that you're not sure you're interested in and you may be surprised. Each lecturer will give three or four lecture around one topic. A given lecturer's later presentations might build on the earlier ones so see more earlier and filter down to the lecturers and topics that have caught your interest if necessary.

The planetarium shows rotate on a daily basis. If you see a title in the program that interests you, plan to see it that day because it may not be repeated later in the cruise. Planetarium shows are in the same room that the lectures are in, so you won't need to choose between the two.

Take time to explore the ship from bow to stern. It holds a visual museum of the age of passenger ships in the elevator lobbies on all decks (there are four banks of elevators; be sure to visit all four) as well as decks 2 and 3 between the A and B lifts. There are signs indicating that you can borrow museum handsets at the Pursers desk for audio commentary on the exhibits (3 digit codes are located at each display) but I haven't done it nor have I seen anyone with a handset listening to the commentary. It's been on my to-do list for years.

The stairwells have original artwork depicting past Cunard ships.

There's a free tour of public spaces on the first sea day. I don't think it shows you anything you won't discover on your own, with the possible exception of the location of Homer Simpson on the ship. Find Homer on your own; it's more rewarding.

CC'er @pepperrn has the definitive private collection of photos that he's taken of the three Queens. Find his photos here and you'll feel at home when you arrive.

Once you've found the Cunard section of Cruise Critic you might have more questions. Feel free to ask them there.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 8:14 AM, Underwatr said:

A few tips off the top of my head:

The enrichment lectures are first-rate - go to ones that you're not sure you're interested in and you may be surprised. Each lecturer will give three or four lecture around one topic. A given lecturer's later presentations might build on the earlier ones so see more earlier and filter down to the lecturers and topics that have caught your interest if necessary.

The planetarium shows rotate on a daily basis. If you see a title in the program that interests you, plan to see it that day because it may not be repeated later in the cruise. Planetarium shows are in the same room that the lectures are in, so you won't need to choose between the two.

Take time to explore the ship from bow to stern. It holds a visual museum of the age of passenger ships in the elevator lobbies on all decks (there are four banks of elevators; be sure to visit all four) as well as decks 2 and 3 between the A and B lifts. There are signs indicating that you can borrow museum handsets at the Pursers desk for audio commentary on the exhibits (3 digit codes are located at each display) but I haven't done it nor have I seen anyone with a handset listening to the commentary. It's been on my to-do list for years.

The stairwells have original artwork depicting past Cunard ships.

There's a free tour of public spaces on the first sea day. I don't think it shows you anything you won't discover on your own, with the possible exception of the location of Homer Simpson on the ship. Find Homer on your own; it's more rewarding.

CC'er @pepperrn has the definitive private collection of photos that he's taken of the three Queens. Find his photos here and you'll feel at home when you arrive.

Once you've found the Cunard section of Cruise Critic you might have more questions. Feel free to ask them there.

Excellent, Thank you!

1 hour ago, chefandthedancer said:

Hello, Yes thank you, we've been doing a lot of reading, there are so many posts, sometimes a little heavy to wade through all the posts and where they direct information. Thank you about the picture, now I can send one with snow, lol, no leaves left, thank you, Cheers!

I know some people on CC can be a bit snarky but don't be scared to ask what you need to know, someone will provide the right information.