Gluten Free and Cruising

FLcruisergrl

We are in the process of our daughter being diagnosed with some level of gluten intolerance -the diagnosis will probably end up being Celiac. I know we can contact the access desk prior to cruising on our next cruise (we’re in an owners suite on the Sun in June), but I’m wondering what gluten free foods will be available to her (aside from naturally gluten free foods). Will the have gluten free bread and pastas? Will they be able to make gluten free desserts? Any suggestions on things to request? For a kid that loves her bread and pasta, I fear this will be a difficult transition.

They are amazing. Dd15 was diagnosed almost 10 years ago, she loves eating on cruise ships. You can order meals the day before, and have them delivered to your table, wherever you decide to eat. Bread, rolls, pasta, pizza, waffles, pancakes, muffins... I’m not sure if it’s allergy related, but on our 4 NCL cruises, even though we were a family of 7, and never made MDR reservations, we never waited for a table. She would just call the dietary manager when we left our cabin, and her meals were served at the same time as ours. He even met us most mornings in the buffet.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

They are amazing. Dd15 was diagnosed almost 10 years ago, she loves eating on cruise ships. You can order meals the day before, and have them delivered to your table, wherever you decide to eat. Bread, rolls, pasta, pizza, waffles, pancakes, muffins... I’m not sure if it’s allergy related, but on our 4 NCL cruises, even though we were a family of 7, and never made MDR reservations, we never waited for a table. She would just call the dietary manager when we left our cabin, and her meals were served at the same time as ours. He even met us most mornings in the buffet.

Thank you! I appreciate the info!

6 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

If you search Gluten on here you'll find plenty of answers .........

Yes, I tried the search button and, unlike the old version of cruise critic, it doesn’t limit my search to the NC forum. So, I have to weed through hundreds of posts about other cruise lines. I figured there would be folks who experience the same challenge that would be happy to share their experiences.

• Like 1

She should be good to go as she can ask for virtually any "gluten friendly" item.  However, because Im a chef by trade, I offer this.  The ship is not gluten free, cant be done.  Even when they tell you its gluten free, it is not.  Gluten will be in the air as they have a bakery.  Depending upon her sensativity, evemairborn gluyen can be a problem for her.  Your number one issue will be fellow cruisers so be hyper vigilant about buffets and who is in front of you handlng the tongs.   Take the time now to find the hidden wheat gluten in products you would never think of and she likes, things such salad dressings, soy sauce, puddings, some deli meats etc.  gluten is in so much its hard to find at times.  Lastly, ask and ask again.  If you dont hear answer you feel is adequate...ask again if that upsets someone, too bad.  In the case of celiac, a bad choice or a misunderstanding can make for a miserable vacation.  Thankfully food service has come a long way in helping folks with alergy issues 

• Like 1

I am gluten free and have travel twice now with NCL this year. The first one was literally a nightmare. I let them know ahead of time. I talked to the restaurant manager when I got on the boat. I ordered meals in advance. They lost my orders. They gave me the wrong food. The argued with me over what I could and could not have. I was not treated nicely like other guests. They avoided me and didn't want to do anything extra for me. I am hoping that was just a one time bad thing and no one else has to go through that.

I just got off the Jade (prematurely) and was in the Haven. Completely different experience. They took great care of me and made sure I could order anything I wanted. Room service was great, the butler made sure I got what I needed. Gluten free sandwiches and pizza! It is the main dining rooms where I have the most trouble.

37 minutes ago, HHIturtlelady said:

I am gluten free and have travel twice now with NCL this year. The first one was literally a nightmare. I let them know ahead of time. I talked to the restaurant manager when I got on the boat. I ordered meals in advance. They lost my orders. They gave me the wrong food. The argued with me over what I could and could not have. I was not treated nicely like other guests. They avoided me and didn't want to do anything extra for me. I am hoping that was just a one time bad thing and no one else has to go through that.

I just got off the Jade (prematurely) and was in the Haven. Completely different experience. They took great care of me and made sure I could order anything I wanted. Room service was great, the butler made sure I got what I needed. Gluten free sandwiches and pizza! It is the main dining rooms where I have the most trouble.

Wow, we stay in balconies and Dd has always been treated like a princess, we actually enjoy the extra attention our table always gets.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:41 PM, FLcruisergrl said:

We are in the process of our daughter being diagnosed with some level of gluten intolerance -the diagnosis will probably end up being Celiac. I know we can contact the access desk prior to cruising on our next cruise (we’re in an owners suite on the Sun in June), but I’m wondering what gluten free foods will be available to her (aside from naturally gluten free foods). Will the have gluten free bread and pastas? Will they be able to make gluten free desserts? Any suggestions on things to request? For a kid that loves her bread and pasta, I fear this will be a difficult transition.

Not "celiac" related, but that OS on the Sun is our favorite suite anywhere, with the same view as the Bridge.

You'll love it!

We had that for our Alaska cruise a few years ago, and we were lucky to be able to get the starboard side OS for the northbound trip, so after Glacier Bay, that coastal mountain range was on full display.

We're sorry the Sun changed itineraries.  Where are you going?

Enjoy!

GC

5 hours ago, VtMac said:

She should be good to go as she can ask for virtually any "gluten friendly" item.  However, because Im a chef by trade, I offer this.  The ship is not gluten free, cant be done.  Even when they tell you its gluten free, it is not.  Gluten will be in the air as they have a bakery.  Depending upon her sensativity, evemairborn gluyen can be a problem for her.  Your number one issue will be fellow cruisers so be hyper vigilant about buffets and who is in front of you handlng the tongs.   Take the time now to find the hidden wheat gluten in products you would never think of and she likes, things such salad dressings, soy sauce, puddings, some deli meats etc.  gluten is in so much its hard to find at times.  Lastly, ask and ask again.  If you dont hear answer you feel is adequate...ask again if that upsets someone, too bad.  In the case of celiac, a bad choice or a misunderstanding can make for a miserable vacation.  Thankfully food service has come a long way in helping folks with alergy issues 

Thank you so much-this is very helpful info. Luckily (I guess), my daughter seems to be a “silent celiac”, if that is what she has. She has no tummy issues, she just has a hard time gaining weight and from what I understand, her antibodies are extremely high. We hope to learn more next week. So, if she does encounter gluten unintentionally, she won’t get sick. 

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Not "celiac" related, but that OS on the Sun is our favorite suite anywhere, with the same view as the Bridge.

You'll love it!

We had that for our Alaska cruise a few years ago, and we were lucky to be able to get the starboard side OS for the northbound trip, so after Glacier Bay, that coastal mountain range was on full display.

We're sorry the Sun changed itineraries.  Where are you going?

Enjoy!

GC

We are so excited to be in the owner’s suite! We’re just doing a short 4 day out of Canaveral-Nassau and GSC. I’m not a huge fan of short cruises, so I needed the owner’s suite to make it bearable! 😂

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, HHIturtlelady said:

Heading out on Jade in spring, also in Haven (1st time) and you have just made my day with the GF pizza comment.  OMG...gonna get fat!

I've been gluten intolerant for many years.

NCL has always taken great care to be sure that I have been well cared for.

In over 20 cruises, I;ve never had a problem.

A chef mentioned that they can not be entirely "gluten free".

This may be true, but they do have kitchens that are dedicated to

gluten free and other dietary restrictions.

When I ate in Tepenyaki, my food came from a different kitchen.

I have learned what foods are OK in the Specialty restaurants, especially Cagney's and Le Bistro.

You can order GF pizza on site in Moderno for lunch.  It takes a little longer, but they will make it - and it is delicious!  (This was on the smaller ships - Star, Jade, Jewel anad SUN.  We'll be on Breakaway in 11 days and I plan to try the pizza there.

I do order one day ahead for other restaurants and their gluten free pasta is among the best I've ever had anywhere.

Be sure to contact the Head Chef or Maitre 'D in the main dining room as soon as you can once you board.

They should assign a special waiter to you who is well versed on gluten free dining.

Good luck!

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

• 1 month later...

Hi,  

My Breakaway cruise went very well. They put my gluten allergy on my card and no matter where I ate, it told them. We went to O’Sheans and ordered what I thought was gluten free. The waiter came back and said I could not eat what I ordered. 

That made me feel good about how NCL handles allergies. You Ned to be sure that you get the forms turned in. Call the accessibility desk again. 

Judy

3 minutes ago, senoragilbert said:

@Travel Junkie Judy Thanks so much for a quick response. I have no idea if the Access Desk works weekends, but I will call on Monday if they're not! I appreciate the help. 🙂

Did you ever find anything in O'Sheehans that was GF?

We've always had *much* better success dealing with the Access Desk by email:

"accessdesk@ncl.com" <accessdesk@ncl.com>

And that also means that there is a written record of all queries and responses.

I'd suggest putting the ship name and sailing date in the subject header, and perhaps your name unless it is clearly in the "from" line of the email headers (our last names aren't, so we include the last names in the subject header also).

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

We've always had *much* better success dealing with the Access Desk by email:

"accessdesk@ncl.com" <accessdesk@ncl.com>

And that also means that there is a written record of all queries and responses.

I'd suggest putting the ship name and sailing date in the subject header, and perhaps your name unless it is clearly in the "from" line of the email headers (our last names aren't, so we include the last names in the subject header also).

GC

Yes, I tried that tack. I have a case number that was returned a few minutes after my initial e-mail, but no further response. 

Just now, senoragilbert said:

Yes, I tried that tack. I have a case number that was returned a few minutes after my initial e-mail, but no further response. 

Hmmmm.  That's not good.

Did you write back again, perhaps with either a "Kindly reply" OR "Could you please confirm receipt of this?" 

GC

• Like 1

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

Hmmmm.  That's not good.

Did you write back again, perhaps with either a "Kindly reply" OR "Could you please confirm receipt of this?" 

GC

Yes, you've got a point there. I'll try that now before I go on the telephone offensive.

7 hours ago, senoragilbert said:

@Travel Junkie Judy Thanks so much for a quick response. I have no idea if the Access Desk works weekends, but I will call on Monday if they're not! I appreciate the help. 🙂

Did you ever find anything in O'Sheehans that was GF?

We often have breakfast in O'Sheehans on cruises : it is not suitable for Coeliac due to possible cross contamination in  the very small kitchen they have, but if you stick to simple breakfast foods (eggs), and get gluten free bread it can be an excellent option for gluten intolerant people. Coeliacs are best sticking to the MDR for all meals, or Cagneys (excellent for gf) or other speciality restaurants ordered in advance through your special diets waiter. 

In general, we've found NCL to be very good with special diets, and this is the main reason we cruise with them. The handling and availability of food varies a bit depending on the chefs and the special diets waiter/s, but overall much better than other cruise lines we've been on recently. You do need to double check every time you get served a dish with waiters who are not the special diets waiters that what they are serving you is Gf etc, they often have a more limited understanding. I am also lactose intolerant and so my main issue usually is about do I get dessert that isn't 'fruit plate' or 'sorbet'. On longer cruises this can get very tedious though obviously not life threatening. I usually take some snacks for a change onboard and for excursions. 

11 hours ago, senoragilbert said:

@Travel Junkie Judy How did your GF cruise on the Breakaway go? I e-mailed the Access Desk last week and haven't even heard back with the usual form to fill out. I'm a little nervous. Still 72 days to go, but who's counting? 😉

I emailed the access desk and it took them over 72 hours to respond. I think it was a day later. I had included my reservation number and my daughter’s name, along with her gluten free requirement. They responded that it was noted on our reservation and to get with the Restaurant Manager upon boarding. We did not receive any type of form to fill out. Because we’ll be in the owner’s suite, I plan on contacting the pre-concierge to try to arrange for the gluten free snacks and gluten free lunch the first day. I’m not sure how successful I’ll be, since pre-concierge is hit or miss anyway, but it’s worth a shot!

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I emailed the access desk and it took them over 72 hours to respond. I think it was a day later. I had included my reservation number and my daughter’s name, along with her gluten free requirement. They responded that it was noted on our reservation and to get with the Restaurant Manager upon boarding. We did not receive any type of form to fill out. Because we’ll be in the owner’s suite, I plan on contacting the pre-concierge to try to arrange for the gluten free snacks and gluten free lunch the first day. I’m not sure how successful I’ll be, since pre-concierge is hit or miss anyway, but it’s worth a shot!

GF is not a problem in the Haven dining room.   There are things on the menu that are GF and they will get GF bread.  That is where you will have lunch on embarkation day (and every day if you choose).  After that, you can order anything you want (a day ahead) and they will make it GF.  I love their GF pasta.  

• Like 1