A Brilliant Brilliance Review with Compass and Menus

mawvkysc

Then we drove to the west side. It was calmer than usual. The colors weren’t as magnificent as last time. Probably because it was overcast. Still beautiful. We stopped at El Mirador. It had a funky smell like last time. So pretty though. No blowhole today because of calmer than usual waves. 

Then we asked to to go to Punta Sur since we weren’t going to as east side snorkel beach. I wish we had more time there. It really should be a full day just for that. Plus it is a long drive to the end. 

We saw saw a crocodile at the lagoon. The lagoon was much bigger than I thought and impressive. The boat tour wasn’t running that day. We just drove by the Mayan ruins and stopped at the lighthouse.  Not enough time to walk to the top or look at the museum. I really wish we could have. 

We we drove down to the beach at the end. (You could tell the driver didn’t want to) The beach was very pretty and the sea was calm. I mean flat. People were snorkeling no problem. There are two side by side restaurants with complimentary loungers and hammocks. They fight to seat you as you walk up. 

We ate and my sis got a massage. She got  a free 5 min massage and then haggled for a $20 20 min. massage. 

Then we boogied back to the ship and picked up some vanilla and a chocolate bar in the port area. Tonight my MIL opened the chocolate bar and it was powdery and light colored. We got it at Viva Mexico. It must’ve been old. 

BDBF2E1C-6672-490A-8439-CB19B1966CCE.jpeg

59A592F4-8F90-4287-8F39-DF57FA72C7C7.jpeg

C7F2A04C-177D-4167-B0D0-080822EF154E.jpeg

A475CADB-D0E8-4F42-BBA3-FB6E29FFA639.jpeg

BEB8CD89-C700-47E6-9D2F-0C04F9C1D89A.jpeg

669F53B4-06C4-47F5-BF94-9D1FB8561927.jpeg

At dinner mom really liked the lentil soup. I forgot Poblano soup the night before was good. I enjoyed the beet salad. The lamb shank was outstanding and huge. Definitely splittable Cheesecake and Royal Choolate cake are also huge and splittable. 

It it was the first night for the production show Now and Forever. It’s based on broadway through the years. (They has been rehearshing for weeks)  Maybe by high season there will be two shows. The band and singers/dancers  were very good.

I think we spent some time in Schooner after that. 

973ABD2F-C1FC-4C2F-802D-1034A0569955.jpeg

Day 5 Sea Day

WJ breakfast again. Too windy to try rock climbing. The solarium pool was closed because of the rocking making waves. This is a really nice area though and we spent some time in there today playing card. Lunch at Park Cafe was great. The main pool was open. 

The previous sea day we did swim in the solarium pool. That was the most fun I’ve had in a pool in a long time! It was like a mini wave

pool. 

Of note there weren’t many bar servers walking around most days. It was nice not to be hounded but actually a few times we wished there was one. 

Mom and sis went to the salon. They were satisfied. Overpriced IMO. After we spent some time in the aft outdoor dining area. I love an aft wake.

The boys passed on the beer tasting. It was $25 for five samples of the same few generic beers they had all over the ship. No one else showed up for it. 

85DAC903-20CC-4E61-BFC7-2188B10A5029.jpeg

8A99488E-CAB2-4E2A-B8D5-C6588543D678.jpeg

77972B10-0583-4B2D-A9B9-D9847781465D.jpeg

5773931E-83C4-4186-A709-1F3BC9320484.jpeg

BE0776D8-0C42-44DD-A038-53C0BFAAEF3C.jpeg

20739ABF-4581-4CAC-A7FE-3A81A1EDC88F.jpeg

468B2DB1-64D0-4841-99D5-E841A7B0EBA6.jpeg

D1BC0DF7-01F3-4458-8E00-CEFAEC2C7A68.jpeg

4B6B4006-DE05-4443-B2B1-80B9E4B588FF.jpeg

FF8B0481-C098-4899-A130-D84A7606526F.jpeg

Edited by mawvkysc

Sorry folks I got the last two nights menus flip flopped on here and in my mind. The braised short rib off this menu is really, really good  We said goodbye to our servers. The whole cruise we only heard from the Maitre’d the one night they sang in the fixed seating. Otherwise it was quiet. The head waiter came by often to check on things. And he actually clesred tables etc. 

C883BD00-DC7E-40CF-8EA1-EFD29E044BCD.thumb.jpeg.260b23880dbb3e4e75d3d02801e654d3.jpeg

1A97BF7E-45C6-4AF3-9C52-ACD7B1E8689E.jpeg

B39E427D-0075-464D-B30A-E8F44D009ECA.jpeg

3C35CA5D-E404-452B-965D-D79FFC3256B3.jpeg

The Farewell Show was Lance Ringnald an Olympic gymnast. It was boring but I’m glad we went to cheer on and thank the crew. 

After we we went to the 80s/90s show in Colony Club. We found another “secret” spot (pictures in last post. ) Go all the way aft in C Club behind the bar. Go all the way port or starboard. There are couches behind a curtain. You can rotate them to face the aft windows. It was very quiet there and dark enough to see out and watch the aft wake!

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Enjoying the review.

Did I miss the day 3 Compass?

Thank you. I did miss them. Sorry everyone!

Host Clarea can you help me?  I wasn’t thinking and didn’t put Brilliance in the title or OP. So this thread doesn’t really show up in a search for Brilliance. Can we change the title?

D39B4617-8044-4E09-8604-0941211FC7BA.jpeg

223CDE76-2D35-4800-B9CA-21C978DEC784.jpeg

E4DCA941-3E49-4D8B-AF53-58AE7E7DED44.jpeg

C0EFB4DE-5DFB-40DD-B5FB-B018A9E28E61.jpeg

6 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

Thank you. I did miss them. Sorry everyone!

Host Clarea can you help me?  I wasn’t thinking and didn’t put Brilliance in the title or OP. So this thread doesn’t really show up in a search for Brilliance. Can we change the title?

Sure, just post exactly how you want the title to read.

Day 6 The Sad Day

Boohoo. We have to leave. We had number 7 for our luggage group.  We were still eating in mdr when they called us. The hash browns were better today. They were cooked on the griddle instead of deep fried. 

When we left our luggage was right where it was supposed to be. We got in line and it kept moving. Still it was  1/2 hr to 45 minutes. With 6 people and a mom with a bum knee we should’ve used a porter and jumped to the front though. 

The agent looked at our passports and us and that was all. No questions or declaration form Welcome home.  They did ask my parents if they bought anything. It took my European  BIL just a little bit longer than us. BTW we didn’t have to fill out a health question before boarding.

We had to wait for the 241 shuttle a while. Glad we used a lot with a shuttle as we left from Pier 3 and returned at 6. 

Thanks for following my ramblings It was fun reliving the trip. Feel free to ask questions 

• Clarea changed the title to A Brilliant Brilliance Review with Compass and Menus
25 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

Thanks for that and all your efforts.  

You're welcome.

If you still have it to post, some ask about departure info that is normally covered by the departure letter.

Great review. We'll be on this itinerary in March and I am thrilled to get excited by reading this.  Can I ask a few questions?

1) Did you happen to notice if there was a gluten free section of the WJ? We've seen this on our last two cruises, and as a  Celiac, that was amazing.

2) Did you try the hot tubs? Were there any in the solarium? And did you happen to notice if the solarium pool had steps into it, or if it was ladder entrance only?

3) Were there any movies shown, either in the theater or on the pool deck while on the cruise?

4) Did you use the wifi? If so, how reliable/fast was it?

Thanks so much!

11 minutes ago, CatLadyFemme said:

Great review. We'll be on this itinerary in March and I am thrilled to get excited by reading this.  Can I ask a few questions?

1) Did you happen to notice if there was a gluten free section of the WJ? We've seen this on our last two cruises, and as a  Celiac, that was amazing. Yes but it wasn’t big. Park Cafe had a gluten free on request sign. 

2) Did you try the hot tubs? Were there any in the solarium? Yes one and it wasn’t very hot or bubbly. Typical of a cruise. And did you happen to notice if the solarium pool had steps into it, or if it was ladder entrance only? Yes 

3) Were there any movies shown, either in the theater or on the pool deck while on the cruise? Both. At least three different movies kept rotating

4) Did you use the wifi? If so, how reliable/fast was it?no

You’re welcome! Have fun!

Sorry I don’t have the letter with departure information. 

Here is  a cropped laundry form. They did and excellent job on DH’s suit. Also a $17.49 stuff  the bag press special was available upon boarding. No similar special for washing clothes at the end. 

We used the app. It’s new for Brilliance. It was handy. We mostly used it to look at the schedule and menus. 

DE170DBE-842F-4634-94E6-1741F61414DD.jpeg

Edited by mawvkysc

On 11/22/2018 at 10:10 AM, mawvkysc said:

Thanks for that and all your efforts.  

Love your review! Thanks. I haven’t  been on Brilliance since 2014 so checking on a few things. Did you take photos of drinks menu? We are considering the non-alcoholic package. 

8 hours ago, wombie said:

Love your review! Thanks. I haven’t  been on Brilliance since 2014 so checking on a few things. Did you take photos of drinks menu? We are considering the non-alcoholic package. 

Thank you. No I didn't, but most  menu cocktails were $12. $8 for DOD. I had a glass of port for $6. Draft beers were $6. I'll see if I can look back at my onboard account and find out how much a soft drink was. 

Edited by mawvkysc