San Juan Embarkation

deec

We just found out that instead of the SEA docking in Old Town, we will be embarking from Pan Am Pier.  Has anyone embarked from there.  We will be overnighting there....does Viking run a Shuttle to Old Town?

From there to OSJ is not very far (especially if you swim), so the shuttle should be a piece of cake compared to some we were on Dee.  There is a jewelry store in Old San Juan that still sends Lois Christmas cards.  And while shopping they sent out for beer for me.😳  We really enjoy OSJ.

yep...when we were in Peru..Pat  caught they only one on our trip.  The night excursion on the Amazon was exciting...all those red shining eyes!!!  I certainly kept my hands in the boat!

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

And while shopping they sent out for beer for me.😳  We really enjoy OSJ.

Where do I sign up!!

Similar to Juneau, where one of the pubs has a husband babysitting service. My type of shopping.

The Pan American pier is now used exclusively for cruises embarking and disembarking in SJ. The Old San Juan terminals are usually reserved for same day cruise ship arrivals and departures which in the winter are several. The schedule for the Viking Sea in PR was actually available  a couple months ago in the PR maritime web sites. Another poster felt sure that the Sea would be embarking from Old San Juan. I was hoping she was right since we will be on the Viking Sea South America cruise in Feb from SJ and   staying pre cruise at the El Convento hotel in the old city. But alas looks like she was wrong so we will take the longer taxi ride to the Pan Am terminal. Nce that shuttle service is provided for the overnight stay in PR. This will be our first Viking cruise after many on the usual players. Enjoy your cruise. 

11 hours ago, cruisepsycho said:

The Pan American pier is now used exclusively for cruises embarking and disembarking in SJ. The Old San Juan terminals are usually reserved for same day cruise ship arrivals and departures which in the winter are several. The schedule for the Viking Sea in PR was actually available  a couple months ago in the PR maritime web sites. Another poster felt sure that the Sea would be embarking from Old San Juan. I was hoping she was right since we will be on the Viking Sea South America cruise in Feb from SJ and   staying pre cruise at the El Convento hotel in the old city. But alas looks like she was wrong so we will take the longer taxi ride to the Pan Am terminal. Nce that shuttle service is provided for the overnight stay in PR. This will be our first Viking cruise after many on the usual players. Enjoy your cruise. 

Except for Viking.  Viking made special arrangements with the Puerto Rico Ports Authority to berth at Pier 1 in Old San Juan for all embarkations but the next two, which the US CBP has issues with (usually because of the very early departures).  After the 11/27 and the 12/18 Amazon cruises, the situation should revert back to the previous arrangement.

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Where do I sign up!!

Similar to Juneau, where one of the pubs has a husband babysitting service. My type of shopping.

Haha, it's on Calle Fortaleza and has Blue in the name.  The rest is a bit fuzzy.😎

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2018 at 9:31 AM, cruisepsycho said:

Looks like then there may still be hope for our Sea cruise in Feb. to leave from the more convenient terminal.  Anyway, it’s just good to be leaving again on another cruise.

Any update on which pier?  Trying to figure out which one our TA will leave from in March. 

• 2 weeks later...