Miami Brickell Area - Post Cruise

LuCruise

We have 1 day post cruise in Miami, coming with 2 kids (13 and 9 years).  I know people often talk of the Brickell area.  We're thinking of booking Hampton Inn as people often mention it for pre-cruise.  Is the area good

1. in terms of safety?
  2. to keep us busy for a day?

We're looking at this area or South beach but we have an early morning flight so if things to do  to keep us occupied around Brickell then it's closer to the airport for the morning.

It’s in a very safe area and there are a lot a of families that live here in Brickell.  Lots of things you can walk to.

As far as keeping busy, there will be plenty of thing you can do locally.  The Frost Science Museum is great for the kids and you can reach that via the free metromover.  Bayside has a lot of things going on, from speed boat rides to shopping and that is also easily accessible via the metromover or the trolley. Jungle Island is close by and you can uber to it. 

If it’s raining or you want to see a movie and relax we have two high end movie theaters with big leather seats locally.  Silversport is right across the river and is new and fantastic.  You can get there via metromover.  Or right at Brickell Citi Centre there is CMX and you can walk to it.  

I recently stayed in Brickell and took my time to explore the area over several days. I liked it before but now I LOVE it.

The popular part of Brickell is actually quite small and easily walkable from end to end in complete safety. Even at night there are plenty of people out and about - walking their dogs, exploring restaurants, etc.

I did spend a night at the Hampton Inn and was totally impressed. Friendly, centrally located with an huge free breakfast and modern clean rooms.

With the Hampton Inn as you base you can walk to more restaurants, shops and bars that you can fit in a week. If that's not enough the Metromover station (YELLOW LINE) is up the street meaning you can easily go downtown to explore. It only takes 30 minutes for a complete loop all the way to Bayside and back!

And then you have the Trolley for even more reach should you choose.

You can visit here to see the yellow line and Hampton location, etc: Downtown Miami Map for Cruisers

Thank you for the replies.  Didn't realize there is a free transportation in the area.  And good to know there is a science center nearby if we want to visit. Bayside sounds nice too.

Our flight is early so we'll probably miss the breakfast but hotel seems quite nice.  

We were able to get savings on Hampton Inn with Black Friday deal so we have switched from our Blue Lagoon hotel (which seemed nice in itself, but quite isolated). Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Here is the link for the metromover.  The 10th street staton or Brickell station are the ones that are the closet to the hotel. 

https://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover.asp

If you take it to Bayside, make sure you get back on the Brickell line and not the Omin or Innerloop.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

12 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Here is the link for the metromover.  The 10th street staton or Brickell station are the ones that are the closet to the hotel. 

https://www.miamidade.gov/transit/metromover.asp

If you take it to Bayside, make sure you get back on the Brickell line and not the Omin or Innerloop.

Thank you!  I have added your notes and link to my planning spreadsheet.

Thanks so much for the replies.  Got another question....how is Homewood Suites in Brickell?  (This is for another cruise we have booked out of Miami).  It seems like similar area (and price-wise...more than Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites in Blue Lagoon but a bit less than Hampton Inn Brickell). 

It depends what you want to do while there IMO.

That cluster of hotels (Homewood, Atton and Extended Stay) are somewhat isolated next to the railroad but you have Publix and Walgreens a block or two away.

When you step outside you just do not get the smells, sights and sounds of Brickell as with the Hampton Inn. And you do not have easy access to free transport either. You have to walk aways to get the Trolley from the Homewood. It is much quieter after dark and I am not so comfortable outside after sunset. The homeless are quite aggressive everywhere near the tracks.

Personnally speaking I prefer to stay between the Metrorail tracks and the Bay for the best experience.

Edited by SteerageJoe

Thanks for the feedback. Looking for just 1 night.  Flights not booked so not sure if we just need somewhere to stay for the night, or at earliest, we would get there lunch hour day before the cruise (if early slight)...so hard to say.  Probably wouldn't venture out doing touristy things even if have half a day.  But good to know the area is more isolated.

Does the Hampton Inn have transportation to the pier if we stay pre-cruise? What about a shuttle from the airport?

In the past, we have stayed at the Hilton and found that location in Brickell to be excellent.  Is this hotel near there?  Out of Hilton points, so have to go back to Marriott now. 

Edited by NJ Gal

The Hampton Inn location is excellent but so is the Marriott! It does not matter which one you choose!

Everything you need is within a 15-minute walk at most!

You can see these hotels and their locations relative to shopping, pharmacies, grocery/wine and public transportation routes here: Brickell - Hotel Options For Cruisers

Edited by SteerageJoe

2 hours ago, SteerageJoe said:

The Hampton Inn location is excellent but so is the Marriott! It does not matter which one you choose!

Everything you need is within a 15-minute walk at most!

You can see these hotels and their locations relative to shopping, pharmacies, grocery/wine and public transportation routes here: Brickell - Hotel Options For Cruisers

Thanks for the link.  Homewood Suites doesn't seem that far from other area and is just a short walk away from the metromover.  Both seem to get pretty good reviews.

5 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the link.  Homewood Suites doesn't seem that far from other area and is just a short walk away from the metromover.  Both seem to get pretty good reviews.

Homewood Suites isn't that far of a walk and Atton Brickell is even closer, it's right behind the Publix shopping center.  The Brickell Metromover stop is close.  I walk to that Publix all the time and home from it.  

On 11/25/2018 at 5:33 PM, SteerageJoe said:

It depends what you want to do while there IMO.

That cluster of hotels (Homewood, Atton and Extended Stay) are somewhat isolated next to the railroad but you have Publix and Walgreens a block or two away.

When you step outside you just do not get the smells, sights and sounds of Brickell as with the Hampton Inn. And you do not have easy access to free transport either. You have to walk aways to get the Trolley from the Homewood. It is much quieter after dark and I am not so comfortable outside after sunset. The homeless are quite aggressive everywhere near the tracks.

Personnally speaking I prefer to stay between the Metrorail tracks and the Bay for the best experience.

The homeless people that that article you quoted is talking about near the tracks are actually near the tracks behind Mary Brickell Village, not over by the Homewood Suites or Atton.  It's rare that I see homeless over by the Atton area, they tend to be over in the other area.  There are usually more people around during the day light hours than at night believe it or not!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

17 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

The homeless people that that article you quoted is talking about near the tracks are actually near the tracks behind Mary Brickell Village, not over by the Homewood Suites or Atton.  It's rare that I see homeless over by the Atton area, they tend to be over in the other area.  There are usually more people around during the day light house than at night believe it or not!

You are correct. That was my experience too. More panhandlers near the metrorail tracks closer to Brickell Village and Southside? Park. That's really what I meant in my post.

The Homewood/Atton area was quiet (did not see panhandling) but it felt different there after dark versus the areas further east. After walking to Publix there I was happy to be back near Hampton Inn! Different smells, sounds, vibe, sights!

Regardless, I could live there! Love the place.

2 minutes ago, SteerageJoe said:

You are correct. That was my experience too. More panhandlers near the metrorail tracks closer to Brickell Village and Southside? Park. That's really what I meant in my post.

The Homewood/Atton area was quiet (did not see panhandling) but it felt different there after dark versus the areas further east. After walking to Publix there I was happy to be back near Hampton Inn! Different smells, sounds, vibe, sights!

Regardless, I could live there! Love the place.

My post should have said during the day light hours!  Brickell needs to do a better job at the panhandling near here, it's gotten worse over the 6 years I've lived here.

Don't want to scare anyone away, it's fine around here. And LuCruise, you will be fine with any hotel you pick over in the area. 

Thanks you both for all the info.  From what you're saying it sounds like we'd be 'ok' with Homewood Suites but just that it's a quieter area (and homeless comment is infact more near the shops).  For March , we booked Hampton Inn Brickell.  We'll probably go with the same , although it's more for the August cruise...unless prices jump up before we book.  (But when we book flights...if we end up arriving after 9pm like last year's flight, then may just stick with Blue Lagoon Hampton or Homewood as area no longer matters).  

Am happy we were able to move our hotel in March as seems like a good area to select.

Yes, you will be perfectly fine with all scenarios!

The Homewood Blue Lagoon is great if you arrive late and just want to go sleep. A bit far to walk to the strip mall, whereas the Hampton Inn is across the road from the mall/restaurants. So it depends on your arrival time and your evening plans! 

Edited by SteerageJoe

On 11/28/2018 at 4:05 AM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Homewood Suites isn't that far of a walk and Atton Brickell is even closer, it's right behind the Publix shopping center.  The Brickell Metromover stop is close.  I walk to that Publix all the time and home from 

I asked my question before reading the following posts

Edited by suekay

On 11/26/2018 at 5:00 PM, NJ Gal said:

Does the Hampton Inn have transportation to the pier if we stay pre-cruise? What about a shuttle from the airport?

In the past, we have stayed at the Hilton and found that location in Brickell to be excellent.  Is this hotel near there?  Out of Hilton points, so have to go back to Marriott now. 

We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel which cost us about $30 plus tip.

We used the Hampton’s shuttle to the port and were very pleased with it.  The cost is $8pp.

After we returned we grabbed a taxi to the airport which is a flat fee of $27 plus tip.

Each experience worked out very well....

Edited by GTO-Girl

2 hours ago, suekay said:

I asked my question before reading the following posts

That's okay.  And absolutely you will be fine! I go to that Publix often and park in the back parking lot which is across the street from the Atton.  As a 56 year old women, I don't have any issues being alone with my groceries there in the evening. 

There are some homeless people here in Brickell, the majority are not aggressive at all.  Brickell is usually pretty busy with people milling around.  I know some of them by name and have seen them for years.    I've found the homeless in Paris to be much more aggressive.   

If it makes you more comfortable while walking, go through the parking lot which will bring you right to the front of Publix and condos.  There is always a security guard there until Publix is closed.