First correct answer wins.............

We are from Indiana and we call them eavetroughs, too. One time, here in VA, I said something about eavetroughs and I got this really blank stare. No one down here calls them that. Maybe it is more of a northern thing?

Ok...Wait..

My ground rats climb trees....I don't have different ground and tree rats..Am I being discriminated against here..

Whats really fun,is when the rats (ie squirls's ) meet up with those possums in the attic...Oh what a treat at night..

Two mornings ago...about 430 AM..I was heading out to the garage..and my sweet little cuda cuda (cat) was waiting for me..Although , a little stiffly: just as I bent to give her a rub...and she spit on me....I realized...ok...not my cat..but..possum....oooh yuk..they are so gross.

Ya, they're kind of like big rats with a flat face. We have one that insists on sleeping in the cat house (read: a small house for my cat, not a brothel). They have pointy little teeth and get real peeved when I insist that I built the cat house for ... well, my cat ... not for the opossum ..... uh, uh, whom I would NEVER take on a cruise (staying on topic, you know) ;)

BTW, rumor has it that there are tree rats - actual rats that climb up in the trees - in my semi-rural neighborhood. Luckily, I have not seen these disgusting creatures, or I would have to move, immediately :eek: ... uh, and go on a cruise ......

You thought I was kidding before!:D Squirrels and cruising are very important to me:) They're very cute, how can you not like them? Granted, I wouldn't want them in my house, but they are very entertaining in the backyard.

Ground squirrels carry bubonic plague fleas, cause traffic accidents, damage levies, and injure cattle. Tree squirrels out here are pretty much rabies free. I'm not going to apologize, because we like them, uh..uh like cruising. :-)

I was looking in webshots and found pictures of squirrels on cruises! Some of them have temperature problems. One got a little stuffed!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/136580678/136580678voOgWE

http://community.webshots.com/photo/127953537/127953537FVavGB

http://community.webshots.com/photo/475077962/475077962jWXsGf

He probably liked cruising, too ! :D

Vagn Flyger, biologist with squirrel expertise Vagn Flyger, 83, a retired wildlife biologist at the University of Maryland who became a leading authority on squirrels after documenting what was dubbed the ``Great Squirrel Migration of 1968,'' died Monday at his home in Silver Spring, Md. He had congestive heart failure.

Mr. Flyger (whose full name is pronounced Vawn FLEE-gur) shuttled deer to the suburbs and pursued whales and polar bears in the Arctic. He said he found the squirrel far more accommodating, if only because one did not incur a hernia from handling it.

Although the phenomenon of squirrel overpopulation was not unknown -- in the 1930s, the bushy-tailed rodents swam en masse across the Connecticut River -- Mr. Flyger made his name in fall 1968, when he chronicled squirrel patterns across the Eastern Seaboard.

At the time, thousands of gray squirrels were found crushed on highways and washed up dead along riverbanks. It was a disturbing sight that Mr. Flyger tried to explain less as a concerted migration than as an abundance of squirrels hunting for the best feeding ground.

Mr. Flyger made contributions to the study of the Delmarva fox squirrel, among others; wrote for scientific journals; and proved helpful to wildlife documentarians, who found him entertaining.

From his home, which bordered on a park, he lured squirrels by smearing trees with a mixture of peanut butter and Valium. He collected the rodents he found passed out and tagged them with radio transmitters for further observation.

Sometimes he kept squirrels as pets, and sometimes he just ate them, once telling a visitor that they made a piquant substitute in any chicken recipe.

Vagn Folkman Flyger was born in Aalborg, Denmark, on Jan. 14, 1922. He was raised in Jamestown, N.Y., where ``at night we watched barred owls in the cemetery feeding night crawlers to their young.'' After Army service in Europe during World War II, he received a bachelor's degree in zoology from Cornell University (1948), a master's degree in wildlife management from Penn State University (1952) and a doctorate in vertebrate ecology from Johns Hopkins University (1956), where he wrote his thesis on behavior patterns of the gray squirrel.

By the late 1950s, he was working as a natural resources biologist for the state of Maryland.

Using a new tranquilizing dart gun, Mr. Flyger aided research of large animals by zapping them with succinylcholine chloride, a surgical muscle relaxant. He called this catch-and-release method a great improvement over killing animals to study them.

He worked first with woodchucks and deer but moved on to whales during Arctic expeditions sponsored by a Norwegian whaling company.

In the mid-1960s, he returned to the Arctic regions to study polar bears by tranquilizing them and then tagging them with radio transmitters. Looking back, he viewed his initial working method as a bit naive and dangerous.

He waited on the icy plain as two planes worked to drive the frightened bear in his direction. When the bear was 40 yards away, he shot the syringe gun and hoped the succinylcholine chloride would take effect quickly enough. Among his scientific observations: It was possible to sweat at 50 degrees below zero.

He joined the University of Maryland faculty in 1964 and spent the next 23 years teaching full time, sometimes with a squirrel on his shoulder. He also took side trips to the Antarctic to tag Adelie penguins and study Weddell seals.

I added that part!:D It is important to stay on topic when discussing squirrels,,,,and cruising. You started it! :-) And I am an agricultural biologist...bugs are my life LOL. :-) and squirrels, and cruising.

Patti, I note that we are both in Northern CA. After seeing your photos, of the squirrel feeders, I am wondering if you are my neighbor? Is is possible that I spent the equivalent of a 3-night Monarch SO (keeping on topic) shuttling YOUR squirrels out of my attic? :eek: If so, please have a chat with them, would you? Unlike some of the other posters on this thread, I don't wish the fluffy-tailed rats ... er ... squirrels ill, I just wish they would stay in the trees.

BTW, the whole Flyger obit ... so sad. In fact, I'm crying so uncontrollably that I may just have to ... take a cruise! :D

From his home, which bordered on a park, he lured squirrels by smearing trees with a mixture of peanut butter and Valium. He collected the rodents he found passed out and tagged them with radio transmitters for further observation.

Sometimes he kept squirrels as pets, and sometimes he just ate them, once telling a visitor that they made a piquant substitute in any chicken recipe.

In the mid-1960s, he returned to the Arctic regions to study polar bears by tranquilizing them and then tagging them with radio transmitters. Looking back, he viewed his initial working method as a bit naive and dangerous.

He waited on the icy plain as two planes worked to drive the frightened bear in his direction. When the bear was 40 yards away, he shot the syringe gun and hoped the succinylcholine chloride would take effect quickly enough. Among his scientific observations: It was possible to sweat at 50 degrees below zero.

He joined the University of Maryland faculty in 1964 and spent the next 23 years teaching full time, sometimes with a squirrel on his shoulder. He also took side trips to the Antarctic to tag Adelie penguins and study Weddell seals.

Sometimes he kept the squirrels and sometimes he ate them!!!!!:eek:

He sounds like he was quite an interesting guy!

Of course he cruised! He cruised to get to the Antarctic!

I have created a monster. For this I am sorry. I almost feel seasick (staying on topic) about this. I now sell custom pieces of plywood, cut to fit your clothesline, to keep all rodents away from your house. Just send cruise tickets in an opaque envelope, clearly marked as to contents including return address and I'll provide you with nearest address for Home Depot.:rolleyes:

Well, it was certainly more fun and generated more interest that your other threads. I certainly do not condone squirrels in attics or rats on cruise ships. But it has been a fun and entertaining over a 3 day weekend. Thanks:D

Ladylawer, we very well could be neighbors. Those are roof rats you are worried about. :)

Well, it was certainly more fun and generated more interest that your other threads. I certainly do not condone squirrels in attics or rats on cruise ships. But it has been a fun and entertaining over a 3 day weekend. Thanks:D

Ladylawer, we very well could be neighbors. Those are roof rats you are worried about. :)

That wasn't nice? More fun than my other posts?... more interest? OK I'll give you that one....1000 hits! cool. For all you know, maybe my parents were squirrels. Enough of this....OK does anyone know what the average size is of these pieces of plywood they put on the ends of the mooring ropes to keep the wharf rats off the ships that ate the opossums that ate the tree frogs that ate the squirrels that ate the fly. I don't know why.....

He swallowed the fly, that ate squirrel that ate the frog that ate the oppossum....had enough? Truce.

Archived