MedEvac Underway on Escape

luv2kroooz

Also came up on Twitter feed - link to USCG news bulletin

https://t.co/qJSnoTjOC4

uscgmidatlanticuscgmidatlanticuscgmidatlantichttps://twitter.com/uscgmidatlantic/status/1067464761091244032

Passengers are fine - thoughts & prayers to the 2 injured crew members with 2nd. degree burns (accident in engine room) 

Escape due into Port Canaveral at 13:00 - 30 minutes from now, it's been out of AIS data tracking range for over 6 hours, sailing way off the Florida coastline toward PC,  nearly full speed at 21.7 knots.  Just checked ship's live webcam, seas are calm but no land/coastline within their sights ... 

NCL ships heading into PC usually  show up 1 to 2 hours before sailing into the channel & docking.  Most of the time, getting in a little early, maybe 30 minutes for easy walk-off ... not looking good.  (Escape scheduled to be there from 13:00 to 21:00 ... next stop is GSC tomorrow, tendering - windy day forecasted ... then, onward to the other W. Carib ports)

Well, plan B for this port ... walk along the piers, shuttle to Coca Beach/Village, or, stay on the ship & hog the loungers for a bit of cool sun, 65 degrees F.  

Sending well wishes to the injuried crew members for speedy recovery.  

21 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It appears two crew with burns, I hope they are OK, it must be serious to medevac for burns.

https://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-medevacs-2-burn-victims-from-cruise-ship-norwegian-escape/2018/11/27/

OMG how sad. I hope they are ok, I know how painful burns can be. I read the link and it said they got injured from the engine room, I will be Praying for them

Edited by cathi007

4 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

OMG how sad. I hope they are ok, I know how painful burns can be. Any idea how they got the burns? Praying for them

There are many burn dangers in a ship's engine room.  There are hot piping (steam, fuel, exhaust) that can range from 250*F to 600*F, that they may have accidentally contacted, or it could be that some of the hot fluids like engine coolant, lubricating oil, fuel oil, or boiler water escaped and burned them.  Could have been an accident (failure of something) or a mistake on their part, like opening a piping system without removing all the pressure on it, or simply not wearing the proper protective gear for the work being done.  I once did expert witness testimony for a case where a young, female engineer suffered 2nd degree burns over 80% of her body.