Shocking 60% of guests removed gratuities on NV Transatlantic

5 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

May I take a moment to thank everyone for an interesting thread.

I have learnt several new things since reading this thread.

😘

I've learned that there are very many passionate/angry over-tippers as well as non-tippers.

Personally, I don't care what others tip....or not tip. It really doesn't affect my cruise enjoyment.  I respect a persons decision to remove their gratuity as well as a persons decision to go above and beyond the mandatory optional 18%.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've learned that there are very many passionate/angry over-tippers as well as non-tippers.

Personally, I don't care what others tip....or not tip. It really doesn't affect my cruise enjoyment.  I respect a persons decision to remove their gratuity as well as a persons decision to go above and beyond the mandatory optional 18%.

Somebody who understands!  Well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2018 at 2:46 AM, The_Big_M said:

Well, since you asked, I'd rather worry about how much things cost upfront, and then enjoy good service without an extra payment at the time of the cruise.

I'd prefer not having to worry about judging people and make extra payments again, just for someone doing the job that I'd already paid the company to supply.

I don't go on a cruise to become an employer and assess efforts and remuneration.

Well said, IMHO.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Mixyestspitlik said:

If you can afford to cruise then you can afford to tip. Cheapskates/skinflints, don't complain when your bags don't appear for hours on end or don't appear at all. 

Really interesting thread - but this comment has really worried me. When arriving at the ship my case is taken from me as soon as I get close enough and they are really busy and never seem to be expecting a tip. Also I have not noticed anyone else tipping at this point as it is so busy. Nothing to do with being a skinflint. So have I just been lucky each time?

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

Really interesting thread - but this comment has really worried me. When arriving at the ship my case is taken from me as soon as I get close enough and they are really busy and never seem to be expecting a tip. Also I have not noticed anyone else tipping at this point as it is so busy. Nothing to do with being a skinflint. So have I just been lucky each time?

Yeah, not sure how this applies to a thread about the DSC on the ship.  Tipping the longshoremen who take your bags at the curb, has nothing to do with the DSC and crew salaries.  But, anyway, I don't believe this poster knows that those longshoremen most likely make much more than he/she does, generally in the 6 figure range.  These are union longshoremen, not cruise line employees, and since the work on a cruise ship is so "cushy" (indoors or under cover, only tossing bags onto a cart), that the most senior guys tend to sign up for this work, getting the highest pay.

Some ports, these highly paid guys will try to shake you down for a tip, but its not necessary at all, and the apocryphal tales of bags being dumped in the harbor for not tipping is just so much bs, as this would require the guy taking the bag, which he wasn't tipped for, to flag the cart it is on and communicate to his buddy the forklift operator, who wasn't getting part of that tip anyway, to drop the cart in the drink.  Hooey.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Mixyestspitlik said:

If you can afford to cruise then you can afford to tip. Cheapskates/skinflints, don't complain when your bags don't appear for hours on end or don't appear at all. 

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yeah, not sure how this applies to a thread about the DSC on the ship.  Tipping the longshoremen who take your bags at the curb, has nothing to do with the DSC and crew salaries.  But, anyway, I don't believe this poster knows that those longshoremen most likely make much more than he/she does, generally in the 6 figure range.  These are union longshoremen, not cruise line employees, and since the work on a cruise ship is so "cushy" (indoors or under cover, only tossing bags onto a cart), that the most senior guys tend to sign up for this work, getting the highest pay.

Some ports, these highly paid guys will try to shake you down for a tip, but its not necessary at all, and the apocryphal tales of bags being dumped in the harbor for not tipping is just so much bs, as this would require the guy taking the bag, which he wasn't tipped for, to flag the cart it is on and communicate to his buddy the forklift operator, who wasn't getting part of that tip anyway, to drop the cart in the drink.  Hooey.

Yes, sorry I know there is no connection to the DSC. I have been reading this thread daily for the last week and find the different opinions really interesting. But I was responding to the comment from Mixyestspitlik that worried me. Sorry to be off topic.