Considering Solo Cruise

RobinKY

I have a non-working sabbatical next year of 8 weeks.  2 of those weeks will be with my gf and/or kids on a beach somewhere.  Because of commitments my gf and kids will not be able to take extended time off with me.  I am considering a short solo cruise (3-5 days).  I am a pretty quiet guy and like alone time but worry I will be bored or feel awkward at dinners trying to make conversation with strangers.  Outgoing people (and a few drinks) do bring me out of my shell.  I would enjoy meeting new people and hanging out a bit and not be by myself 24/7.

Any advice or tips from others especially those with quiet/reserved personalities?  It sounds like maybe NCL has program for solo cruisers. 

I have never cruised with NCL BUT I have been cruising solo for 15 years...…...it is the only way I sail.:classic_biggrin:.....cruising is a wonderful way to vacation....you will probably find it much easier once you get on board on the ship(As to what is going on in your mind now)..if you want to chill out on your own, you can.....you can also meet others (if you so choose). I have met many folks over the years, some quiet, some outgoing, we all have different personalities but I will say, I highly recommend cruising:classic_biggrin:

I have my next one booked for April......11 nights...…..cannot wait!!!

Try NCL. You can make friends or enjoy alone time. You don't have to sit with anyone at dinner, but you may. I find that I never lack for people to speak with and there is nothing awkward about it. I would suggest joining the roll call.

What you want from a cruise line as a solo traveler might be different than me:  I don't want any special programs for solo passengers, I want to be treated just like every other passenger.   That's all.   Other people want special programs for solos with a host and scheduled meet-ups before dinner or being invited to sit with ship's officers or guests for dinner. 

I'm also considering my first solo cruise.  I'm a retired teacher.  I've gone on two other cruises with friends.  The second cruise I had a cabin to myself and paid the single supplement but I enjoyed doing what I wanted to do and then meeting up with my friends for dinner.  I'm planning to do one on Norwegian.  I was trying to budget this year and I was going to do a 5 day one in February on the Jade.  But I'm wondering if I should spend a bit more do a 7 day one on the Getaway with solo cabins.  Then I know there will be a solo lounge and get togethers for solo cruisers.  Are there anything special for solo cruisers on NCL on the ships that don't have the solo cabins?

Edited by Shadygap
Missed a word.

14 hours ago, Shadygap said:

I'm also considering my first solo cruise.  I'm a retired teacher.  I've gone on two other cruises with friends.  The second cruise I had a cabin to myself and paid the single supplement but I enjoyed doing what I wanted to do and then meeting up with my friends for dinner.  I'm planning to do one on Norwegian.  I was trying to budget this year and I was going to do a 5 day one in February on the Jade.  But I'm wondering if I should spend a bit more do a 7 day one on the Getaway with solo cabins.  Then I know there will be a solo lounge and get togethers for solo cruisers.  Are there anything special for solo cruisers on NCL on the ships that don't have the solo cabins?

All of the NCL cruises have the solo meet ups whether there are solo cabins or not. i have done the Getaway twice, once in the solo cabins, once not, and both times I had a great time meeting solos mostly for dinner.. On the other 2 ships I did not find the solo meetups to be as well attended, could just be my experience. 

Edited by kelib