Best beach?

The_0neuk

11 minutes ago, The_0neuk said:

will be in costa maya in a weeks time on an MSC cruise

Whats the best beach? Myself and partner both in early 30's

thanks

There is one long main beach in the town of Mahahual which is lined with many beach bars. Take a look through recent posts on this board  for the names of the most popular ones and decide which suits your needs. Alternatively just take the trolley or taxi to town ($3 pp) and walk the length of the malecon to see where you would like to stop.

outside of town there are a couple of AI which need to be pre-booked, Almaplena or Maya Chan or the cruise ship excursions north to Uvero.

Edited by c-leg5

3 hours ago, TMR2 said:

The beach looks beautiful .  Is it far from the port? 

As stated above most of the beach bars are lined up along the same bay about 5-10 mins  taxi from port. Nohoch is towards the southern end.

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

As stated above most of the beach bars are lined up along the same bay about 5-10 mins  taxi from port. Nohoch is towards the southern end.

thanks, hopefully away from the busy areas as I've heard it can be really packed when a few ships are in port

7 hours ago, karena1 said:

We will be in Costa Maya and decided to try Barefoot.  Booked it through ShoreExcursioner.com.  Booked an All Inclusive so hoping we really enjoy it.

Please report back - not many reviews for there.

There isn't much of a "best beach" - they all run together.  If there is a ton of seaweed or it's just not a good day for nice looking water, then that's what it will be at all of them.

There is a few "resorts" that are mostly all outstanding, however.  Even if the water isn't amazing, the service and experience on the beach will still be top notch.  Maya Chan is my favorite.

20 hours ago, BNBR said:

There isn't much of a "best beach" - they all run together.  If there is a ton of seaweed or it's just not a good day for nice looking water, then that's what it will be at all of them.

There is a few "resorts" that are mostly all outstanding, however.  Even if the water isn't amazing, the service and experience on the beach will still be top notch.  Maya Chan is my favorite.

I agree “best resort” would be a better question and the answer is very dependent on the amenities you require. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, The_0neuk said:

will be in costa maya in a weeks time on an MSC cruise

Whats the best beach? Myself and partner both in early 30's

thanks

All inclusive or pay as you go? :classic_unsure:

15 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

are there any beaches that are not bar or resort based?

Anywhere I don't have to pay for food/drinks, but somewhere I can get chaises/umbrella for a reasonable price?

Any of those with free wifi?

What do you consider a reasonable price?  It really depends on your budget, but the area there is very much "resort" style.  If you want chaises/umbrella and wifi you are probably better off just doing a resort.  You get so much for your money at the resorts in Costa Maya, it's a bargain.  Is it worth saving a little bit of money?  That's up to you.  May also want to consider just grabbing a free chair by the big pool at the port.

Edited by BNBR

It is more usual for the bars to include tables, chairs, loungers, bathrooms for “free” with the purchase of some food/drinks to use amenities on a PAYG or AI basis. It is considered polite to purchase proportional to your length of stay.  However it has been reported that Blue Kay (first bar from the lighthouse) has been charging an upfront fee ($5-15 negotiable) for use of lounger including 1 or 2 “free” drinks. I suppose if you consider the fee appropriate you could decline the free drinks. Not sure about the internet but I am sure if you find one of the two reviews of Blue Kay by Mitsugirly, she will have reviewed internet availability and cost.

otherwise I agree you could use the free loungers at the port.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

are there any beaches that are not bar or resort based?

Anywhere I don't have to pay for food/drinks, but somewhere I can get chaises/umbrella for a reasonable price?

Any of those with free wifi?

See above.

58 minutes ago, BNBR said:

What do you consider a reasonable price?  It really depends on your budget, but the area there is very much "resort" style.  If you want chaises/umbrella and wifi you are probably better off just doing a resort.  You get so much for your money at the resorts in Costa Maya, it's a bargain.  Is it worth saving a little bit of money?  That's up to you.  May also want to consider just grabbing a free chair by the big pool at the port.

under $10 pp to just use a chaise and an umbrella.

We want a beach, not a pool at the port. We don't eat or drink at the beach, so 2 drinks per pp included in the $15 entrance fee is not at all enticing to us.

Last year we paid $17 pp for literally just a lounger in Cozumel, and will never do that again. It was extremely crowded and we hated it.

If I wanted to do a resort, I wouldn't be asking for the cheaper options... Free is great, but I don't mind paying $5 for a chaise, like we did in Grand Cayman.

You get so much for your money at the resorts in Costa Maya, it's a bargain.

it may be a bargain to you, but not to us.

Thanks.

If there is free wifi at the port, I'll use that, but I haven't found any info about it at the moment.

50 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

However it has been reported that Blue Kay (first bar from the lighthouse) has been charging an upfront fee ($5-15 negotiable) for use of lounger including 1 or 2 “free” drinks.

thanks! What I've read so far says that Blue Kay may have the best water/sand, and at $15 pp it may be reasonable.

I have very little time to do the research this time, since it's our make up cruise for a failed Thanksgiving Norwegian Jade, and we are literally leaving in 6 days.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

thanks! What I've read so far says that Blue Kay may have the best water/sand, and at $15 pp it may be reasonable.

I have very little time to do the research this time, since it's our make up cruise for a failed Thanksgiving Norwegian Jade, and we are literally leaving in 6 days.

As I said there seem to be various reports on the cost so please report back and let us know what the current situation is as i am trying to research the price for next summer.

I have been before and there is certainly more space and “less” vendors at Blue Kay.

I see in your reply above you said you paid $17 in Cozumel? I was wondering where that was as I have  never paid an entrance in Cozumel except at an AI, an entrance fee to a theme park and possibly Buccanos for cruisers on the pretext that they give you snorkel gear whether you want it or not, so just interested to know.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I see in your reply above you said you paid $17 in Cozumel? I was wondering where that was as I have  never paid an entrance in Cozumel except at an AI, an entrance fee to a theme park and possibly Buccanos for cruisers on the pretext that they give you snorkel gear whether you want it or not, so just interested to know.

oh, at that particular "beach club" the AI started at $55 for generic liquors*, and was higher for the name brands. $17 pp was for frugal folks like us and included one chaise per person (on the beach) and pool access. The pool was actually ok, no complaints about it.

Free wifi was promised and passwords provided, but none of our phones could actually "get the signal".

It was called Ocean Beach Club. First of all, they couldn't even find 5 chaises for us, so we only got 4 (even though we paid for 5). The chaises were all set up so close to each other that we were practically touching perfect strangers. The beach was extremely crowded.

The water was rough that day and we couldn't enter the water, let alone swim (now, that's not the Club's fault, of course). But it wasn't storming or anything. The kiddo wanted to use their "aqua park" which was really 2 inflatable structures floating far away from the shore, but we couldn't get to it.

The water entrance was very rocky and hurting our feet.

Music was blaring right behind us... All in all, not a very pleasant experience. If I just paid $5 per chaise, I would have felt better about it, but we paid a lot more.

Now, I could tell other people were enjoying themselves, eating and drinking the all included, but we don't go to the beach to eat and drink...

*When we arrived, there was a family in front of us whose matriarch had just discovered that the $55 AI included only generic alcohol. She was screaming her head off at the clerk and demanding a refund. She was VERY upset. Fun times.

P.S. This time we'll stay onboard in Cozumel. :)

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

42 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

oh, at that particular "beach club" the AI started at $55 for generic liquors*, and was higher for the name brands. $17 pp was for frugal folks like us and included one chaise per person (on the beach) and pool access. The pool was actually ok, no complaints about it.

Free wifi was promised and passwords provided, but none of our phones could actually "get the signal".

It was called Ocean Beach Club. First of all, they couldn't even find 5 chaises for us, so we only got 4 (even though we paid for 5). The chaises were all set up so close to each other that we were practically touching perfect strangers. The beach was extremely crowded.

The water was rough that day and we couldn't enter the water, let alone swim (now, that's not the Club's fault, of course). But it wasn't storming or anything. The kiddo wanted to use their "aqua park" which was really 2 inflatable structures floating far away from the shore, but we couldn't get to it.

The water entrance was very rocky and hurting our feet.

Music was blaring right behind us... All in all, not a very pleasant experience. If I just paid $5 per chaise, I would have felt better about it, but we paid a lot more.

Now, I could tell other people were enjoying themselves, eating and drinking the all included, but we don't go to the beach to eat and drink...

*When we arrived, there was a family in front of us whose matriarch had just discovered that the $55 AI included only generic alcohol. She was screaming her head off at the clerk and demanding a refund. She was VERY upset. Fun times.

P.S. This time we'll stay onboard in Cozumel. 🙂

Oh, I remember some reviews (mixed) of Ocean Club some years ago - I think it is attached to some condos? Haven’t heard it mentioned for a long time and we have never been.

Sorry to hear you will be staying on board - it is one of our favorite stops. Sometimes we take it easy near the port, or in town, sometimes private driver but we always find some where to go but agree sometimes it can be fun to enjoy a quiet ship.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Oh, I remember some reviews (mixed) of Ocean Club some years ago - I think it is attached to some condos? Haven’t heard it mentioned for a long time and we have never been.

Sorry to hear you will be staying on board - it is one of our favorite stops. Sometimes we take it easy near the port, or in town, sometimes private driver but we always find some where to go but agree sometimes it can be fun to enjoy a quiet ship.

oh, that's alright. I've just looked up Tripadvisor reviews on the Ocean beach and they echo mine word for word.

We are going to be on the Getaway and hope to use the slides/ropes/golf, etc. while in Cozumel... Maybe, I could convince my DH to give Cozumel another chance, but I don't think he'll budge. It will be our 4th time there, and it's getting worse every time.

46 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

oh, that's alright. I've just looked up Tripadvisor reviews on the Ocean beach and they echo mine word for word.

We are going to be on the Getaway and hope to use the slides/ropes/golf, etc. while in Cozumel... Maybe, I could convince my DH to give Cozumel another chance, but I don't think he'll budge. It will be our 4th time there, and it's getting worse every time.

You get what you pay for...  You admit how bad it is and how it's getting worse, but you don't want to just pay for a quality experience.  Good luck in Costa Maya.

15 hours ago, BNBR said:

You get what you pay for...  You admit how bad it is and how it's getting worse, but you don't want to just pay for a quality experience.  Good luck in Costa Maya.

all we need is a couple of chaises... We got that on Grand Cayman for $5 pp, and it was glorious.

I don't want to pay $55 pp for that. If that's what you call a quality experience - so be it.

12 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

all we need is a couple of chaises... We got that on Grand Cayman for $5 pp, and it was glorious.

I don't want to pay $55 pp for that. If that's what you call a quality experience - so be it.

But you went 4 times per your comment.  And you don't seem to be able to find what you are looking for.  That's a lot of effort and missed opportunity to have great beach/vacation days.  You even said you may not get off the ship anymore.  So when I said you get what you pay for, that's what I'm referring to.  You are trying so hard to only pay $5 for a lounger, you spend a lot of money on your cruise to visit these places, transportation to the beaches, wasted days not getting what you want, etc.  It seems maybe just paying the $100 for the two of you to have an all-inclusive, know what you are going to get beach day without the struggles becomes one heck of a bargain.  And even that's a lot, because you seem to be pushing back at the idea of paying $20 which would include food and drinks.  How can anyone really help you if you are being so difficult?

Edited by BNBR

there are 4 of us. We don't want or need all inclusive. I don't know how many times I can repeat that for it to be clear.

We have had fantastic beach days EVERYWHERE ELSE with literally just a chaise on a beach. It's just Cozumel that is getting worse and worse with every time. Plus, the beach/water itself in Cozumel are so much worse compared to Florida Panhandle.

I am hoping that Costa Maya is a bit better than Cozumel, and all we need is the beach and water and a chaise. And not for $50 pp. No food, no drinks, nothing else.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy