Canadian Rockies land tour

puli

1 hour ago, puli said:

that sounds great but only if one can drive...for those who cannot then a tour is the only answer. We are both too old to drive in an unknown area plus how can you drive and really enjoy the scenery?

Too old to drive I completely understand and also the fact that people prefer tours.  But you will see 10 x more by doing your own thing. On a train you don’t get to do the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper through Banff national park. You don’t get to stop and watch the moose and her baby munching on the side of the road or IMO the most beautiful scenery. So while I appreciate you want a tour, maybe someone reading this may realize how inexpensive and easy it is to do it on your own. 

14 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Too old to drive I completely understand and also the fact that people prefer tours.  But you will see 10 x more by doing your own thing. On a train you don’t get to do the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper through Banff national park. You don’t get to stop and watch the moose and her baby munching on the side of the road or IMO the most beautiful scenery. So while I appreciate you want a tour, maybe someone reading this may realize how inexpensive and easy it is to do it on your own. 

This is one of those "if only moments"...if only we had thought to do this 30 years I would be meandering   down the roads all over that beautiful mountain  side! But at least seeing a little by train  is better than seeing none!

2 minutes ago, puli said:

This is one of those "if only moments"...if only we had thought to do this 30 years I would be meandering   down the roads all over that beautiful mountain  side! But at least seeing a little by train  is better than seeing none!

Absolutely. You’ll really enjoy it. 

18 hours ago, puli said:

If you do Rocky Mountaineer, I recommend doing it Vancouver-Banff. I’ve done it both ways. 

It’s better, in ny opinion, to begin on the flat area from Vancouver and build up to the beautiful Rockies. 

On that route, you spend a night in Kamloops, so that your train travel is all daylight. Your luggage is waiting in your hotel room, and  you’re delivered to and from the hotel. 

the train moved at what they call Kodak speed so you have plenty of time to absorb the gorgeous sights. 

It’s a grand way to see the Rockies, and the hotels are amazing. 

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

If you do Rocky Mountaineer, I recommend doing it Vancouver-Banff. I’ve done it both ways. 

It’s better, in ny opinion, to begin on the flat area from Vancouver and build up to the beautiful Rockies. 

On that route, you spend a night in Kamloops, so that your train travel is all daylight. Your luggage is waiting in your hotel room, and  you’re delivered to and from the hotel. 

the train moved at what they call Kodak speed so you have plenty of time to absorb the gorgeous sights. 

It’s a grand way to see the Rockies, and the hotels are amazing. 

Thanks for the advice.  This is the land portion my husband and I did on our own for our honeymoon in 1991.  Stayed at all those places and ended in Edmonton.  We have been back to other places in that area over the years, but he has been wanting to do this route again, and we wanted to do another Alaska cruise.  This could be a definite possible maybe for us!!  So glad I saw this topic.  Leaving for 2019 WC on Pacific Princess Jan 20 from LA to FLL.  May have to put a future cruise deposit down on board!!!  We put deposit on board 2017 WC for Baltic Cruise/Land tour we just did in August.  First for us and it was excellent.

8 hours ago, lorri111 said:

We did the Rocky Mountaineer/Voyage of the Glaciers combo in 2016 and enjoyed every moment of it. Hotels were great, train was great and cruise was great - a real bucket list holiday (especially when coming all the way from Australia!)

What cruise line was this  ?

2 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

I would assume on Princess since posting here but I could be wrong.  You know what they say about assuming something 😉

Agreed...especially since HAL is the one noted for working with Rocky Mountaineer! or rather on the RM web site they usually cite Hal as their cruise partner ...I don't think HAL    even mentions a  Canadian Rockies cruise tour.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:43 AM, jagsfan said:

I love the Baltic cruises. Maybe it’s the contrast to Florida that makes it wonderful!

St Petersburg is a feast for the senses. 

I am confused about your post.  What do Baltic Cruises have to do with a thread about Canadian Rockies cruise tour?

2 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

I am confused about your post.  What do Baltic Cruises have to do with a thread about Canadian Rockies cruise tour?

As I was commenting on the previous poster who said they did a Baltic cruise in August. I had commented on Rocky Mountaineer in a previous post.