O Achilles Heel, or By Design?

Shawnino

O has relatively few accessible staterooms, and nothing above a B3.

We noticed a somewhat older demo onboard Riviera, with a reasonably large collection of people (at least 50) using some sort of mobility assistance....from cane, to crutch (me), to manual wheelchair (me again sometimes), to electric scooter. There were always a couple scooters in the halls on our deck--they couldn't get in the rooms' doors.

In the R-class refurb, no rooms are being made more accessible.

I wonder if this is a conscious choice by O.

If structural changes were being contemplated, I would think the accessible cabins would be brought in line with current requirements.  When I last checked on an accessible cabin on a "R" ship (Regatta, I think) the problem for my BIL was the tubs. And the step up into the bathroom (I'm assuming that's the case) can also be a problem for people needing accessible rooms.

That wouldn't be cheap, although it might be a good investment!  I also am guessing that Lyn is right -- converting more rooms to being "accessible" could be very difficult.

Mura

I use a mobility scooter full time due to post polio, and we have to book a PH or higher to accommodate my scooter and disability. The VS and OS have showers that can handle a shower chair and the bathrooms don’t have a step up. 

You will find that most cruise ships are woefully shortsighted when it comes to the number of accessible cabins.