GoTennas

josh.vincent.180

They sound like interesting devices, but I am not sure how practical they would be for a family size group.

First, you have to set up the network, or repeater system. That would entail leaving these devices at various locations around the ship. Then you must hope that nobody finds them and removes them due to 1) theft, 2) curiosity or 3) security concerns.

Once you have everthing set up, then you can text your friends.

Or you can use the free ship's app to do the same thing, saving hundreds of dollars.

Surely I am missing something?

23 hours ago, BDRebel said:

They sound like interesting devices, but I am not sure how practical they would be for a family size group.

First, you have to set up the network, or repeater system. That would entail leaving these devices at various locations around the ship. Then you must hope that nobody finds them and removes them due to 1) theft, 2) curiosity or 3) security concerns.

Once you have everthing set up, then you can text your friends.

Or you can use the free ship's app to do the same thing, saving hundreds of dollars.

Not worried about on ship as much as off, leaving a node on boat (baloncy) and then having 2 for self and friends, therefore if line of site off ship then have communications.

They also work with repeaters on location, Puerto Rico is covered with them due to hurricane, other places not so much.

https://imeshyou.gotenna.com/

Edited by josh.vincent.180

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 5:19 AM, BDRebel said:

We used the app on Carnival in 2017, but we are on Royal Caribbean this year and the roll out of their app has not reached our ship, so no using an app for communicating.  I'll be in Alaska, with a land portion before the cruise and Alaska doesn't always have cell service everywhere.  Also will be in and out of Canada and taking both Amtrak and the Alaska Railroad, so I'll be bringing 2 GoTenna Mesh units and will see if they will be useful.  I've tested them at home and they work, but similar to walkie-talkies, so not very far.