Specialty Restaurant Resrvations for the Navigator

Joanandjoe

I think I know how restaurant reservations on the other ships work:  one reservation per segment (regardless of whether it's 7 or 20 days) per segment.  Each of the other ships has at least 2 specialty restuarents, and some have four.  The Navigator has only Prime 7.  Do we get more reservations because our August 14 Navigator cruise is a long trip (20 days) with only one specialty restaurant?

I must confess that I'm puzzled that the one specialty restaurant on the Navigator is Prime 7.  That made sense when Compass Rose had its old menu.  Now that you can get virtually all Prime 7 items at Compass Rose, with a choice of sauces and sides, what purpose does Prime 7 serve?    Any of the other specialty restaurants would seem to make more sense as the sole Navigator specialty restaurant, since you can get steak at Compass Rose any time you want it.  Joe

Agree with you about Prime 7 and many posters are not in love with Chartreuse either.  If the ship has to have only one specialty restaurant, perhaps it should be Pacific Rim.  While I am not an Asian Fusion fan, at least it is a different experience and you can try various sake's and dine on dishes not available in CR (like Lobster Tempura).  

To answer your question, you only get one reservation on Navigator unless something has changed recently.  I doubt if you will have difficulty getting more reservations.  If we were on a 20 night itinerary with only Prime 7, we would likely dine there no more than twice.

Just checked out your itinerary and it is fabulous.  My birthday is in August and I dislike traveling at that time of the year because of the heat.  However, your itinerary is perfect for those that wish to avoid intense heat (we did a cruise to Norway in July and the weather was great!)

Edited by Travelcat2

Yes, only one reservation to start with per segment.  We were able to get 3 more reservations one onboard (just got off the Amazon cruise 24 days on the Navigator).  We found as the cruise went on it was harder and harder to get early reservations (nothing available before 8), and always had shared tables.  My suggestion is make your first reservation as early as possible in the cruise, then you can decide if you want to go there again.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:46 AM, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Yes, only one reservation to start with per segment.  We were able to get 3 more reservations one onboard (just got off the Amazon cruise 24 days on the Navigator).  We found as the cruise went on it was harder and harder to get early reservations (nothing available before 8), and always had shared tables.  My suggestion is make your first reservation as early as possible in the cruise, then you can decide if you want to go there again.

Wife and I just booked that cruise for next year. Really excited to see the Amazon. I don't want to hijack this thread so wondering if you've written a review somewhere in another thread maybe.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the comment about why have Prime 7 as the only speciality restaurant when you can get just about anything "Prime 7 ish" in Compass Rose.   To be honest Prime 7 has never been my favourite.   I think Pacific Rim would be a perfect option given you have CR and Setti Marie covering western/european cuisine.    We have not had any issues getting another reservation, but if you share you will have a better chance.    

On the Navigator now.  Our go to in Prime 7 is the wedge salad and crab cakes.  You cannot get these in Compass Rose.  We have tried special ordering and they will not do it.  Also, the filet and lobster tails are better quality in Prime 7 than in Compass Rose.  That said, we feel the cook on the grill in Compass Rose does a better job than the one in Prime 7.  We can special order in Compass Rose any dish on the menus of the restaurants not on the Navigator - lobster tempura.  If you have a butler, you can get lots of reservations in Prime 7.  If you do not have a butler, become friends with someone who does have a butler.  Tipping also helps with extra reservations.

I've been to Prime7 several times on this cruise and it has not been completely full so I don't think getting reservations is all that difficult assuming you have some flexibility - date/time.  I don't have a butler so have no idea if that makes a difference.

Many of the items on the menu are unique to the restaurant and not options in Compass Rose . . . . .

Wife and I just booked that cruise for next year. Really excited to see the Amazon. I don't want to hijack this thread so wondering if you've written a review somewhere in another thread maybe.

We did the Amazon cruise in May 2107 and posted a blog of our trip.

Here is the website:

amazonmay2017.blogspot.com

I think it also makes a difference as to how full the ship is.  We have been traveling with lower numbers.  The next two legs are sold out so we will have to see if that makes a difference.

11 hours ago, HotRoot said:

On the Navigator now.  Our go to in Prime 7 is the wedge salad and crab cakes.  You cannot get these in Compass Rose.  We have tried special ordering and they will not do it.  Also, the filet and lobster tails are better quality in Prime 7 than in Compass Rose.  That said, we feel the cook on the grill in Compass Rose does a better job than the one in Prime 7.  We can special order in Compass Rose any dish on the menus of the restaurants not on the Navigator - lobster tempura.  If you have a butler, you can get lots of reservations in Prime 7.  If you do not have a butler, become friends with someone who does have a butler.  Tipping also helps with extra reservations.

I take it you mean bribes. Tosh if it is not true - despicable and not Regent as I know it if true.

Edited by Sir Humphrey
typo
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 11:59 PM, Ep010835 said:

Wife and I just booked that cruise for next year. Really excited to see the Amazon. I don't want to hijack this thread so wondering if you've written a review somewhere in another thread maybe.

13 hours ago, Sir Humphrey said:

I take it you mean bribes. Tosh if it is not true - despicable and not Regent as I know it if true.

Those that do it call it tips.  We do not but have seen lots of tipping going on.  Nobody refuses it.  It is what it is.