Tipping with Beverage Package

WScruiser

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

I don't believe so, Ann.  Not if you booked it as collectors' cruise. You need to take it for the whole cruise.

I booked the P'dam last time as a B2B and had the SBP (Explore4) for the TA portion and nixed it on the 2nd leg where we were much more port intensive.

Sometimes there is not a major savings with the Collectors - might be worth looking to see if you can do it as a B2B and do the math?  

My Explore4 worked out to be much cheaper than $50 USD per day so after I did the math, I decided to go for it again for next year for the Collectors.  Hoping I can upgrade it to the Elite package on board 😉 

4 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Sadly, I think it's all or nothing. You're probably better off with happy hours. 

I guess you are both right.  We like the wine packages, as long as they keep them going, but we might look into changing to a b2b.

Just now, Vict0riann said:

I guess you are both right.  We like the wine packages, as long as they keep them going, but we might look into changing to a b2b.

There's a whole wine package submenu in the iPad/tablet ordering system. I stumbled on it by accident. I honestly don't think anyone on the ships has a perfect picture of what's going on. The print menus and the electronic menus are pushed separately.  That's why they're out of sync right now. The website doesn't seem to match up. Given that the deadline for print production would have meant that the Cruise Atlas text would have had to be finished far in advance, I can't see that being the controlling document.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, SeaBands said:

with the X4 drink package all drinks up to $9 are covered. I usually tip the bartender at the beginning of the cruise at the pool bar near the smoking area as we use that the most. Always got a good pour  and a double when I asked for it. Charged for 2 drinks.

ho much do you tip the bartender at the beginning of the cruise?

4 hours ago, lvcotatian said:

ho much do you tip the bartender at the beginning of the cruise?

Which bartender ?   Depending in the ship, there will be many bars and different bartenders.  Unless you also sit at the bar, on a stool, you will have multiple waiters serving you.  There's no guarantee that you will have the same waiter or bartender throughout the cruise.   However, if you do sit at the bar, in one particular bar, and find a particular bartender you like, a nicely palmed $20  or $50 will guarantee prompt service.  Of course, that $20 depends on the length of your cruise.  For a long cruise (20 days and up) a larger amount may be in order for your favorite barkeep.

We went and visited the Ocean bar very early on debarkation day last time. I was on medication at the time that didn't let me drink much, but I had SBP in the Carribean and didn't want to totally miss out. I had the weirdest chat ever with the two primary bartenders for that station while they unpacked discussing the best ways to order weak drinks. We gave a hefty tip on day one and they were always extremely prompt and courteous getting our "usuals" for the rest of the trip and assuaged my guilt about my modifications. It was so nice having a place where I could quickly get my special orders without explaining. 

The tip for weak drinks, btw, is order everything as a spritzer in the largest glass the bar has available... they make the drink as usual then pour in a larger class and fill the excess space with ice/soda water. That way they can't get in trouble for underpouring. I effectively get a double-sized drink with a single dose of alcohol. The tuscan lemon was my favorite. Pineapple spritzer with spiced rum also very tasty. White wine spritzes all the time gets very dull.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, faerievert said:

We went and visited the Ocean bar very early on debarkation day last time. I was on medication at the time that didn't let me drink much, but I had SBP in the Carribean and didn't want to totally miss out. I had the weirdest chat ever with the two primary bartenders for that station while they unpacked discussing the best ways to order weak drinks. We gave a hefty tip on day one and they were always extremely prompt and courteous getting our "usuals" for the rest of the trip and assuaged my guilt about my modifications. It was so nice having a place where I could quickly get my special orders without explaining. 

The tip for weak drinks, btw, is order everything as a spritzer in the largest glass the bar has available... they make the drink as usual then pour in a larger class and fill the excess space with ice/soda water. That way they can't get in trouble for underpouring. I effectively get a double-sized drink with a single dose of alcohol. The tuscan lemon was my favorite. Pineapple spritzer with spiced rum also very tasty. White wine spritzes all the time gets very dull.

Thanks for the info...if they don't have any beers I like I can opt for that so that I am not drinking hard alcohol drinks all the time.  Do you know if they have sangrias or wine coolers?