Viking Air Information

Marykatesmom

48 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Oops. Changed my mind. 😱

wouldn't it be nice if the Forum included a CANCEL button?? Once you start a post -- you're stuck -- you can't say --- "Ooops!" -- and back out of an in-progress post. 

57 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

wouldn't it be nice if the Forum included a CANCEL button?? Once you start a post -- you're stuck -- you can't say --- "Ooops!" -- and back out of an in-progress post. 

Can't you just use the back button on your browser?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe so but not from a mobile device. Sometimes I've tried simply exiting the app  which seems to cancel the whole thing. But what happens if you actually create and submit a post? No way to cancel it except to edit it with an "ooops!"

Edited by CharTrav

2 hours ago, CharTrav said:

With the edit period, regardless of what device you are using, all you have to do is hit the edit button, delete what you wrote, type something new because you have to put something in the text box and then hit save. Your old message has disappeared. So, I think I don't need a cancel button just an edit period. Especially since it took me a few minutes to realize that I really didn't want to post what I had just written. So, glad we have at least 15 min to edit.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Not necessarily, and probably not since the back button was not designed as a "stop the transaction, I've changed my mind" button. Best to let the transaction with the server finish and then edit the post to delete what you have decided you don't want to say. Otherwise, you are only guessing that it did or did not actually post.

Edited by Peregrina651

FYI -- just got off the phone with United Airlines and learned something about the ability to upgrade to their new Premium Plus class (in between EconoPlus & Business) on tickets issued thru Viking Air.  I worked with Viking Air shortly after we'd paid the balance of our trip this Summer (paid for Air Plus) to reserve our flights including a nominal seat assignment with the full intention to shift to EconoPlus seats after the reservation was booked (ticketed).  Rather than wait until their usual ticketing time (approx 75 days prior), I planned for 90 days out to ensure the availability of a good selection of EconoPlus seats. Thus, I called them yesterday to get the tickets cut.  Today I was able to go online to United and see what the EconoPlus seats would cost.  I also had my eye on the Premium Plus seats, thinking I could perhaps pay a little (a lot?) more and upgrade to them on our return flight (not an option on the way out).  Well... sad to say.. I discovered it isn't an option.  So I called the United Mileage Plus desk to confirm this and find out why. Is it because of the fare class of our tickets?  And .. yup -- indeed it is. :classic_sad: What I learned was that the tickets issued thru Viking are restricted -- they permit upgrading to Econo Plus but .. sob sob! (or so I will hear from hubby - who will lament this) not Premium Plus.  Just thought you might want to know this. 

Edited by CharTrav

I booked my tickets this afternoon for my February 2020 trip to Cuba.  My cruise is paid in full and I purchased Air Plus.  I called them knowing what I exactly what I wanted before I got on the phone.  I never purchase airfare through the cruise line but  it was on sale at time of booking for $199 economy and now those tickets are $700.  I was able to get exactly what I wanted including a 2 day extension for $100 deviation fee per person.  I also was able to book a Comfort + upgrade for what looked like what Delta would have charged me.  I picked my seats and and he entered my Skymiles and Known Traveler numbers.  There was no fuss whatsoever.  I should be getting the itinerary within 48 hours in my inbox but I see the information on My Viking Journey with the ticket numbers.  We overnight in Miami otherwise I would have prefered to come in the night before the cruise and not the morning of the cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 6:38 PM, Marykatesmom said:

I booked my tickets this afternoon for my February 2020 trip to Cuba.  My cruise is paid in full and I purchased Air Plus.  I called them knowing what I exactly what I wanted before I got on the phone.  I never purchase airfare through the cruise line but  it was on sale at time of booking for $199 economy and now those tickets are $700.  I was able to get exactly what I wanted including a 2 day extension for $100 deviation fee per person.  I also was able to book a Comfort + upgrade for what looked like what Delta would have charged me.  I picked my seats and and he entered my Skymiles and Known Traveler numbers.  There was no fuss whatsoever.  I should be getting the itinerary within 48 hours in my inbox but I see the information on My Viking Journey with the ticket numbers.  We overnight in Miami otherwise I would have prefered to come in the night before the cruise and not the morning of the cruise.

Since you are paying the divination fee, why can't you come the night before?  Your schedule?

13 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

Since you are paying the divination fee, why can't you come the night before?  Your schedule?

Yes.  The cruise is Friday to Friday and it is one less day to we need to take off from work.

But you do bring up a question.  Is it one deviation fee per ticket or per flight?

1 hour ago, Marykatesmom said:

Yes.  The cruise is Friday to Friday and it is one less day to we need to take off from work.

But you do bring up a question.  Is it one deviation fee per ticket or per flight?

The deviation fee is per cruise and per person.  Each person pays the fee and you can deviate on arrival departure or both for the same price.  I've only been to Europe twice and I didn't want to miss out on the first or last port cities.  If it was an every year thing or say a Caribbean cruise my thinking might be different.  But I am self employed and can adjust my schedule.  Luckily. 

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, when we tried to parlay our “free” air promo into business class, Viking gave us a price that was more expensive than what we could buy ourselves...so we were resigned to fly long-haul coach for the first time in 10 years on our return from Europe after our spring TA  😢

But, we were pleasantly surprised 😲 that our requests to upgrade our “free” American Airlines Econ seats to business for points+cash cleared so for 25,000 points and $350 each we rode home in comfort! 😃. And got tasty food (Korean beef) and even an Ice cream sundae!

BD0DA7FD-02D2-4B45-8FC1-DF4F97C461C8.jpeg

A53026D1-8F7B-4E6D-8F9A-E7B7E0891CE8.jpeg

395BDAA0-D93A-4472-92D0-55C4F66E99D2.jpeg

4BCB0867-2137-4DEF-9CC8-E279E928AD8D.jpeg

9BA47EEA-B95C-474D-95F4-F3E27B7B743E.jpeg

E40F8C6B-7C30-42F1-9D8F-4F6AA6B9143D.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

FWIW, when we tried to parlay our “free” air promo into business class, Viking gave us a price that was more expensive than what we could buy ourselves...so we were resigned to fly long-haul coach for the first time in 10 years on our return from Europe after our spring TA  😢

But, we were pleasantly surprised 😲 that our requests to upgrade our “free” American Airlines Econ seats to business for points+cash cleared so for 25,000 points and $350 each we rode home in comfort! 😃. And got tasty food (Korean beef) and even an Ice cream sundae!

Clay,

Thanks for sharing.  I will have to keep that in mind - I'm assuming you did this at check-in?  Business did not look full.  

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

BD0DA7FD-02D2-4B45-8FC1-DF4F97C461C8.jpeg

A53026D1-8F7B-4E6D-8F9A-E7B7E0891CE8.jpeg

395BDAA0-D93A-4472-92D0-55C4F66E99D2.jpeg

4BCB0867-2137-4DEF-9CC8-E279E928AD8D.jpeg

9BA47EEA-B95C-474D-95F4-F3E27B7B743E.jpeg

E40F8C6B-7C30-42F1-9D8F-4F6AA6B9143D.jpeg

These are great accommodations for the flight.  We got a $500 pp saving on our fare and with your increase cost that would just about eat up that savings and you are only going one way.  I don't have points since I haven't spent as much money as you have with airlines and that would also factor in.  Now I can see that more room to  stretch out would be good for some, for the time I'm on the plane while on the whole vacation I could not justify 'my' money being spent that way, but if you can then more power to you.

20 hours ago, SM77 said:

Clay,

Thanks for sharing.  I will have to keep that in mind - I'm assuming you did this at check-in?  Business did not look full.  

We have (at least until May 15th) AA Gold status courtesy of a promo that AA sent out around the first of the year. That came with ten 500 mile upgrade certificates (domestic only) which is what we used for the Miami to San Juan leg. I’m not sure if you have to be gold to request the international miles+$ upgrade but I don’t  think so. We requested the upgrades a phone call to AA right after we were ticketed and from then until we checked in, “upgrade requested” showed up on the app and on our record if we looked online.

This changed at T-24 hours when we went to check in.  At that point, we were assigned business class seats. We then changed our assignments so we were seated together. 

FWIW, there were 15 seats available for purchase five days before our flight and after we got ours, there were still two seats showing available.  However, the cabin was full (minus one crew rear seat) when we departed Rome. 

Good Luck!

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

Clay, when were you able to select your seats?

We initially selected our seats as soon as they were ticketed.  Since we booked the cruise in January (well after final payment) we were ticketed almost immediately.  I think within 24 hours of our bookin the cruise 

18 hours ago, Dauntless said:

These are great accommodations for the flight.  We got a $500 pp saving on our fare and with your increase cost that would just about eat up that savings and you are only going one way.  I don't have points since I haven't spent as much money as you have with airlines and that would also factor in.  Now I can see that more room to  stretch out would be good for some, for the time I'm on the plane while on the whole vacation I could not justify 'my' money being spent that way, but if you can then more power to you.

Your thinking is what led us to decide to not buy up to business initially. Given Viking was paying the full cost of our plane tickets, we decided we would try flying long haul in economy seats.  As I mentioned we hadn’t done this in ten or more years.  I am six foot seven and after a miserable flight from Santiago to Toronto in economy ten years ago, I said I wouldn’t fly that way again, “if I can’t do it with points or afford to buy it, I’m just not going”.  Of course getting “free” tickets changed my tune!  

But we believe $350 for a comfortable seat for 10.5 hours is a reasonable cost especially when it’s all we paid (except for the points) for our flights.  Gosh knows I would have paid more not to have my knees crammed against the seat in front of me. 

I recognize that we are lucky to have the resources that enables us to fly “upfront” when we believe we need to do so.  But I believe anyone who has resources to cruise can be just as lucky.  Most of our points haven’t come from actual flying, rather they have come from requesting an airline’s credit card when they offer bonus points for signing up and then using the card(s) for almost everything we purchase.  

Of course if I wasn’t so y’all (and wide😢😜) I might decide to use the points for something else. 

Clay,

Thank you for sharing your experience - this is useful information for trying to figure out how to upgrade on AA.  Due to our flights Dulles - Auckland & Hong Kong - Dulles we are now Gold AA - we are booked business for our South America cruise in Dec but we had opted for premium economy next Spring for our Viking river cruises.  It's still too early to book those flights but I will keep your experience in mind.

• Like 1

BTW, we had opted for premium economy to fly to Europe since the business seats were so expensive via Viking Air.  We haven't done premium economy before so I was willing to try it for Europe.   At this point in our lives,  for any longer flights, my husband doesn't want to be crammed into an economy seat.   A few years ago, I made the mistake of booking economy on United for Asia, thinking that I could upgrade with miles easily (which was not the case).  BTW, I think upgrading for $350 for business from a free ticket is a great bargain!  Kudos to you!

11 minutes ago, SM77 said:

BTW, we had opted for premium economy to fly to Europe since the business seats were so expensive via Viking Air.  We haven't done premium economy before so I was willing to try it for Europe.   At this point in our lives,  for any longer flights, my husband doesn't want to be crammed into an economy seat.   A few years ago, I made the mistake of booking economy on United for Asia, thinking that I could upgrade with miles easily (which was not the case).  BTW, I think upgrading for $350 for business from a free ticket is a great bargain!  Kudos to you!

I’m with your husband!  Good Luck with your upcoming flights.  Too bad it’s so far off, lots of relatively cheap (under$1,500rt)  business seats available for the summer. 

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m with your husband!  Good Luck with your upcoming flights.  Too bad it’s so far off, lots of relatively cheap (under$1,500rt)  business seats available for the summer. 

FWIW  Business seats are generally more inexpensive in August as businessmen are vacationing that month and less business gets done.  

• 1 month later...

So, the old "free" air snagged us again!

We just booked Viking's Beijing to Hong Kong cruise for this coming October. While I hate the idea of economy long haul (see previous posts above and my "rant" elsewhere on this forum😱) we just couldn't bring ourselves to pay what Viking wanted for biz or even premium economy.  Their prices were significantly higher than what we could purchase it for directly....but of course that meant the best part of this promo would be lost....so here we go again.

Given we are booked on Cathay Pacific, we can't use points to upgrade like we did last year on American...but I'm hoping that once we are ticketed tomorrow that we will be able to pay for an exit row seat.  Please cross all your fingers and toes on our behalf! 🤞🤞🤞🙏🙏🙏🤞🤞🤞

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So, the old "free" air snagged us again!

We just booked Viking's Beijing to Hong Kong cruise for this coming October. While I hate the idea of economy long haul (see previous posts above and my "rant" elsewhere on this forum😱) we just couldn't bring ourselves to pay what Viking wanted for biz or even premium economy.  Their prices were significantly higher than what we could purchase it for directly....but of course that meant the best part of this promo would be lost....so here we go again.

Given we are booked on Cathay Pacific, we can't use points to upgrade like we did last year on American...but I'm hoping that once we are ticketed tomorrow that we will be able to pay for an exit row seat.  Please cross all your fingers and toes on our behalf! 🤞🤞🤞🙏🙏🙏🤞🤞🤞

What were the Viking and airline prices?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

What were the Viking and airline prices?

Econ free with Viking, $1000 Econ if we bought it

$1700 for prem Econ thru Viking or $1600 if we bought it directly. 

$3000 for biz vs. $2000 if we bought directly. 

Update: You can uncross! 😂

We were able to purchase exit row seats for $189 each (row of two so no pesky middle seat) and put in a bid for an upgrade to premium.  Dont expect to win as we bid a total of $1000 total for both seats. So please cross again!🤞