Single Cruiser - Norwegian Breakaway

horric29

Hi All,

Looking at making a switch to Norwegian for the first time and I want to clear a misconception and look for any tips you guys might have before I book.  I know the boards seem to be sensitive from loyalists across CC so please don't flame me!  Anyone cruised both Royal and NCL and have a comparison or comparisons?  From what I've read people seem to feel that there are more upcharges on NCL than RCCL and I'm ok with that given the price but, what do upcharge items consist of?  It looks like if I book a single studio, I get one "free" offer which would probably be the drink package for me.  Speaking of drink package, I keep reading reviews that it takes 20 minutes to get a drink since "everyone" has the drink package, is this fact or fiction?  I don't really care, I just figure as a solo cruiser I'll get more use out of the drink package than the excursion credit or internet since I cruise to get away from the digitial world...  The entertainment looks incredible to me, just seems like a different experience overall.  Any must purchases?  I read a bit about vibe as a place to get away, seems that has to be booked onboard?  I'll take any advice you have!  Thanks all!

16 hours ago, horric29 said:

Hi All,

Looking at making a switch to Norwegian for the first time and I want to clear a misconception and look for any tips you guys might have before I book.  I know the boards seem to be sensitive from loyalists across CC so please don't flame me!  Anyone cruised both Royal and NCL and have a comparison or comparisons?  From what I've read people seem to feel that there are more upcharges on NCL than RCCL and I'm ok with that given the price but, what do upcharge items consist of?  It looks like if I book a single studio, I get one "free" offer which would probably be the drink package for me.  Speaking of drink package, I keep reading reviews that it takes 20 minutes to get a drink since "everyone" has the drink package, is this fact or fiction?  I don't really care, I just figure as a solo cruiser I'll get more use out of the drink package than the excursion credit or internet since I cruise to get away from the digitial world...  The entertainment looks incredible to me, just seems like a different experience overall.  Any must purchases?  I read a bit about vibe as a place to get away, seems that has to be booked onboard?  I'll take any advice you have!  Thanks all!

There are really no upcharges at all. With the drink package you have to pay the gratuity which is about $100 for the week. If you go to the specialty restaurants, you pay the charge and the gratuity, I assume that this is the same on RCCL. The Internet is not free, again I assume that this is also the case on RCCL. Other than those things I cannot imagine what you would be upcharged for. You can easily leave the ship without a balance on your account.

I sail NCL once or twice a year. The ONLY times I have ever had to wait more than a couple of minutes for drinks is at the pool bar. Ever other bar is quick, certainly less than 5 minutes.  Personally I don't care for the entertainment, but a lot of people like it. (I have seen each show at least once, and just prefer to use my time in other ways.)

IMO when you leave the ship you will come out substantially better on NCL than RCCL, a far as total cost.

16 minutes ago, zqvol said:

There are really no upcharges at all. With the drink package you have to pay the gratuity which is about $100 for the week. If you go to the specialty restaurants, you pay the charge and the gratuity, I assume that this is the same on RCCL. The Internet is not free, again I assume that this is also the case on RCCL. Other than those things I cannot imagine what you would be upcharged for. You can easily leave the ship without a balance on your account.

I sail NCL once or twice a year. The ONLY times I have ever had to wait more than a couple of minutes for drinks is at the pool bar. Ever other bar is quick, certainly less than 5 minutes.  Personally I don't care for the entertainment, but a lot of people like it. (I have seen each show at least once, and just prefer to use my time in other ways.)

IMO when you leave the ship you will come out substantially better on NCL than RCCL, a far as total cost.

Thank you so much for the responses, I was thinking I was going to fall behind a few pages!  Good info, I guess those that complain are the first ones to hit the internet.  Any good tips? 

Good info from zqvol.   Just know what the costs of specialty restaurants are if you want to do any and costs of special shows (usually these have some meal included too) if you want to do any.  Most entertainment is complementary -- main shows, Howl at the Moon, comedy.   We didn't do any upcharge shows on our last cruise.   On our next cruise  DH and I are doing a cirque dinner show upgrade that will run around $80 for two of us floor seating as my brother is interested and we said sure, we'll join you guys.  Also, we are doing one specialty dining dinner where they will charge us al la carte and that will be an upcharge.  I don't have the beverage plan or soda plan, but that works best for me as the unlimited alcohol freebie costs $18 a day in taxes (good deal if you have a few drinks a day -- and lots of nice places for getting drinks and most people really like this perk).  Me, I usually drink tap water and maybe just order two sodas a day, so come out best al la carte.   We will mostly be eating at complimentary dining venues -- Garden Buffet, Main Dining room.  We are on the Getaway and they have a noodle bar place and a place called O'Sheenan's that are complimentary too.

DS 23 really likes to use the internet a lot to stay in contact with friends and even do streaming, so he pays $200 a week for the premium unlimited internet package and in ports that aren't US, Mexico or Canada (He has the international package that lets him use his phone just like he does at home) for $10 a day.   There is a ship social media package for less than is unlimited, but would be particularly bad for streaming.  I hear that even the premium package is not that great for streaming.  DH and I will keep our phone on airplane mode the entire time that we are on the cruise.  Some of us will pay $10 for the week for the NCL app that allows texting and calling other passengers on the ship, while phone stays in airplane mode.    There are also 200 minute packages and things like that.  It's just a fact of life and not limited to NCL that wifi is expensive on cruise ships and in foreign countries (better than it used to be, but still pricy).  The cruise lines that include the free wifi you will see have way higher overall cruise fares than NCL and other mainstream lines. 

I got to see the studio area on the Escape and really thought it looked nice.  They have a lounge area, that sort of reminds me of a youth hostel, but more upscale with food and places to hang out.  There is also a board where they post activities and meeting times in case those in the studios would like to join others staying in studios.   I'm assuming all their bigger ships are probably somewhat similar.  From what I saw on that ship, I would pick NCL in a heartbeat if I were doing a solo cruise.  I really thought it looked like an awesome way to go.  Have fun!

Since most people who are doing a lot of drinking have the drink package, you don't have people coming around asking if they can get you a  drink, etc. as much as other cruise lines in common areas like the pool, etc. or at least that was my experience.  At the comedy places and shows though someone will take drink orders.  I only maybe went to a bar to get a soda once or twice a day on my last cruise, and I had to go up to order.  But there are so many bars on the ship, it was easy for me to find one that didn't have a line or only had one or two people ahead of me.  

Edited by kathy884
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kathy884 said:

Good info from zqvol.   Just know what the costs of specialty restaurants are if you want to do any and costs of special shows (usually these have some meal included too) if you want to do any.  Most entertainment is complementary -- main shows, Howl at the Moon, comedy.   We didn't do any upcharge shows on our last cruise.   On our next cruise  DH and I are doing a cirque dinner show upgrade that will run around $80 for two of us floor seating as my brother is interested and we said sure, we'll join you guys.  Also, we are doing one specialty dining dinner where they will charge us al la carte and that will be an upcharge.  I don't have the beverage plan or soda plan, but that works best for me as the unlimited alcohol freebie costs $18 a day in taxes (good deal if you have a few drinks a day -- and lots of nice places for getting drinks and most people really like this perk).  Me, I usually drink tap water and maybe just order two sodas a day, so come out best al la carte.   We will mostly be eating at complimentary dining venues -- Garden Buffet, Main Dining room.  We are on the Getaway and they have a noodle bar place and a place called O'Sheenan's that are complimentary too.

DS 23 really likes to use the internet a lot to stay in contact with friends and even do streaming, so he pays $200 a week for the premium unlimited internet package and in ports that aren't US, Mexico or Canada (He has the international package that lets him use his phone just like he does at home) for $10 a day.   There is a ship social media package for less than is unlimited, but would be particularly bad for streaming.  I hear that even the premium package is not that great for streaming.  DH and I will keep our phone on airplane mode the entire time that we are on the cruise.  Some of us will pay $10 for the week for the NCL app that allows texting and calling other passengers on the ship, while phone stays in airplane mode.    There are also 200 minute packages and things like that.  It's just a fact of life and not limited to NCL that wifi is expensive on cruise ships and in foreign countries (better than it used to be, but still pricy).  The cruise lines that include the free wifi you will see have way higher overall cruise fares than NCL and other mainstream lines. 

I got to see the studio area on the Escape and really thought it looked nice.  They have a lounge area, that sort of reminds me of a youth hostel, but more upscale with food and places to hang out.  There is also a board where they post activities and meeting times in case those in the studios would like to join others staying in studios.   I'm assuming all their bigger ships are probably somewhat similar.  From what I saw on that ship, I would pick NCL in a heartbeat if I were doing a solo cruise.  I really thought it looked like an awesome way to go.  Have fun!

Since most people who are doing a lot of drinking have the drink package, you don't have people coming around asking if they can get you a  drink, etc. as much as other cruise lines in common areas like the pool, etc. or at least that was my experience.  At the comedy places and shows though someone will take drink orders.  I only maybe went to a bar to get a soda once or twice a day on my last cruise, and I had to go up to order.  But there are so many bars on the ship, it was easy for me to find one that didn't have a line or only had one or two people ahead of me.  

Thanks Kathy!  Appreciate the advice!  Havn't signed up just yet, I'm thinking I will on Thursday or Friday after all the Christmas commotion is over with.

I'm just off the Breakaway  last Sunday.   I think it's a great ship and particularly the 10/11 day itineraries.    Great snorkeling options for my preferences.   I have sailed this ship multiple times,  along with being D+  on RCI.    I'm one who doesn't purchase anything on the ship so,  I never feel "nickeled and dimed".    I won't pay for the drink packages-  (which is factored into your rate),  and always book sail away-  late booking  bargain.     IF you are looking for a bargain-  this is possible-  I paid $349 plus taxes.   10  day cruise.  

• Like 1

I was this year solo in a Studio with the Breakaway in the baltics. i loved the breakaway. Never had to wait for a drink long. i think only the pool deck could get crowded but i´m not a sun bathing person so i didn´t care about that. Some pics of my cabin, the studio lounge  ( it is more a meeting point ) and a plan for solos. But i didn´t used the solo cruiser meeting and can´t say something about that.

thougt the pics are smaller in the post 🙂 sorryIMG_3734.thumb.JPG.39cd758acf0dc284b57d1cd14adc40e0.JPG Some pics of my cabin, the studio lounge  ( it is more a meeting point ) and a plan for solos. But i didn´t used the solo cruiser meeting and can´t say something about that.

P1030221.JPG

P1030224.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

I have sailed on both NCL and RCI out of the NY/NJ ports as a solo cruiser, and while I believe the RCI Anthem of the Seas has the edge as a nicer ship than the Breakaway or Escape, especially for cruising in and out of cold climates;  NCL clearly has the edge when it comes to taking care of single or solo traveler's...

I love the nightly get-together's for solo's, that is hosted by a person from the cruise activities staff.   They make introduction's, conduct party games, provide signup sheets for specialty dinner's, shore excursion's, sports activities, attending shows, etc.

At the end of the meet, usually lasting about a half hour to an hour, they often will invite all those not having other plans to join the group in one of the main dining rooms where they have a couple of large tables reserved.

I have met some great friend's there.  My last cruise, the repo from NY to NOL, was especially great!   :classic_wink::classic_smile:

On 12/24/2018 at 5:07 AM, bob brown said:

I have sailed on both NCL and RCI out of the NY/NJ ports as a solo cruiser, and while I believe the RCI Anthem of the Seas has the edge as a nicer ship than the Breakaway or Escape, especially for cruising in and out of cold climates;  NCL clearly has the edge when it comes to taking care of single or solo traveler's...

I love the nightly get-together's for solo's, that is hosted by a person from the cruise activities staff.   They make introduction's, conduct party games, provide signup sheets for specialty dinner's, shore excursion's, sports activities, attending shows, etc.

At the end of the meet, usually lasting about a half hour to an hour, they often will invite all those not having other plans to join the group in one of the main dining rooms where they have a couple of large tables reserved.

I have met some great friend's there.  My last cruise, the repo from NY to NOL, was especially great!   :classic_wink::classic_smile:

Is this for any solo cruiser or just if you book the solo suite?   Sometimes there are better deals than the solo suite on NCL so solo's book those instead so was curious. 

6 hours ago, CanadaGuyEh said:

Is this for any solo cruiser or just if you book the solo suite?   Sometimes there are better deals than the solo suite on NCL so solo's book those instead so was curious. 

This is for any solo on board the ship...while the Studio Lounge is 24 hour key card access, during the get together, they block the entrance open.....

14 minutes ago, CanadaGuyEh said:

Great - thanks!  

You're welcome!

Don't forget to check the Freestyle Daily each day, as they usually have it somewhere else on the first night, or other night's if the Studio Lounge gets too crowded....

On 12/20/2018 at 4:59 PM, horric29 said:

Hi All,

Cruised both NCL and RCCL and have become partial to NCL for several reasons; freestyle options, ships are consistently clean and well maintained, staff much more personable.  We've been on several NCL ships and usually during busy weeks due to school vacations, etc. and never waited 20 minutes for a drink, not even close actually.  The pool was always busiest on sea days but that's not a shock.  We've sailed with friends who were in a single cabin and there were a lot of programs that weren't available to non-single cruisers so that may be up your alley.   Vibe is a good investment if you're a single cruiser and will be a nice break for you if you need to get away from large crowds at any point but still be around outdoor activities.