non-slip shoes

Markanddonna

We will be cruising from Rome to Greece, Ephesus, and Israel and I need advice on a good brand with non-slip soles. On recent trips, I noted that some tourist sites become very slippery. Also, a very experienced tour guide to Israel that I know fell on the slippery pavement and broke his hip in October, so it can happen to the best of us. I need some good advice on this topic.  I won't need sandals or open toe shoes since our trip is in November and December. Somewhat stylish black shoes would be perfect.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, boulders said:

I like Merrell brand.  Anything with Vibram soles should be good. 

Like snow tires, Vibram soles are great for non-slip in mud and snow. For non-skid on smooth surfaces, look for "deck shoes" like those made by Sperry or Sebago, which will have a large selection of styles and sizes. Go to the Zappos website for a broad selection.

50 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Like snow tires, Vibram soles are great for non-slip in mud and snow. For non-skid on smooth surfaces, look for "deck shoes" like those made by Sperry or Sebago, which will have a large selection of styles and sizes. Go to the Zappos website for a broad selection.

Seconded- Sperry boat shoes - with the fine grooves in the bottoms, for handling wet decks, would probably be best on smooth paving stones. They come in lots of colors - I’ve not seem black, but dark brown might work.

What is it about "deck shoe" soles that "works" on slippery surfaces?

I'm familiar with them, for more than half a century, but even back then I used the old-fashioned "tennis shoes" instead.

The "deck shoe sole" always *looked* like it would be more slippery, not less.

(I get it why Vibram soles are terrific in many conditions, but not "flat/slippery".)

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

What is it about "deck shoe" soles that "works" on slippery surfaces?

I'm familiar with them, for more than half a century, but even back then I used the old-fashioned "tennis shoes" instead.

The "deck shoe sole" always *looked* like it would be more slippery, not less.

(I get it why Vibram soles are terrific in many conditions, but not "flat/slippery".)

GC

In the early 1930s, Paul Sperry, an ardent sailor, and boater, was struggling with this problem in his everyday life. One winter day in Connecticut he took his dog, a cocker spaniel named Prince, out for a romp and was amazed by Prince’s grip while running across ice. The traction he managed to generate on the slippery surfaced intrigued him. Paul figured that it had something to do with the pads of Prince’s feet. Upon closer examination he realized the cracks and grooves on Prince’s feet formed a herringbone-like pattern that gave him grip. Sperry then hit upon the idea of cutting similar patterns on the soles of the shoes he used while boating.

Sperry’s discovery already had a name, however, as the concept of splitting or siping the sole of a shoe had already been invented and patented in 1923 by John F. Sipe. Paul Sperry used the same process, and his design was successful in increasing the traction of shoes on a boat’s surface. Unfortunately, his black-soled boat shoes left unsightly marks on boats’ deck, a major flaw. However, Paul quickly realized that white shoe soles don’t leave any visible marks. So in 1935, he introduced the Sperry Top-Sider shoe with mid- to dark-brown leather uppers and a white rubber sole, still cut in a herringbone pattern. After this final modification, his shoes became quite popular among sailors and boaters but remained a niche product — they wouldn’t catch on with the general public until much later. In 1939, the U.S. Navy recognized the benefit of the new shoes and negotiated a deal to manufacture Top-Siders for its sailors. Eventually, Paul Sperry sold his business to the U.S. Rubber Company, which started to market Sperry Top-Siders throughout the U.S.

Thank you for your advice. I had the experience of falling on the slippery pavement near the Cartegna port in Spain. No problem on my first trip there because it was a lovely, sunny day. The pavement was like an ice skating rink on my second visit because of drizzly rain. My goal next fall is to NOT use my medical travel insurance. Safety first, fashion second.

6 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Thank you for your advice. I had the experience of falling on the slippery pavement near the Cartegna port in Spain. No problem on my first trip there because it was a lovely, sunny day. The pavement was like an ice skating rink on my second visit because of drizzly rain. My goal next fall is to NOT use my medical travel insurance. Safety first, fashion second.

So many Mediterranean ports present that problem:  the very smooth paving stones are a real hazard in wet weather.