Nature excursions/tours

fscool

I've been looking for things to do in San Juan since snorkeling is not really ideal based on where the cruise ships dock.  We'll probably do a fort or two and hit a beach.  But I do have a teenage kid that loves nature and especially reptiles.  I keep reading that San Juan has lots of iguana running around which might play out perfectly for us but I was curious if anybody knows of any tours or areas that we could go to see wildlife.  I keep reading posts about how many of the rain forest excursions are not much more than a bus tour.  I'd consider a rain forest tour if it was heavily focused on seeing wildlife, like reptiles and not going to some gift shop or stopping in some parking lot for 20mins to look around.  Can anybody recommend any options?  Even going to a rough beach area with various things running around might even be fine.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You could book something with someone like Ellis who could customize - for example, we spent more time in the rainforest and went not only to some of the 'tourist spots' but also did a 45 min hike up and back a trail (didn't see much wildlife, but that's the way it goes)  I'm sure he'd know some other options as well (it's touristy but feeding the microfish was fun) (pic below is from that location)

Carnival%20Disney%20May%202-625-X3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 11:43 AM, Loonbeam said:

You could book something with someone like Ellis who could customize - for example, we spent more time in the rainforest and went not only to some of the 'tourist spots' but also did a 45 min hike up and back a trail (didn't see much wildlife, but that's the way it goes)  I'm sure he'd know some other options as well (it's touristy but feeding the microfish was fun) (pic below is from that location)

Carnival%20Disney%20May%202-625-X3.jpg

Is this the same Ellis to whom you refer?  https://www.facebook.com/EllisPRTours/ 

From your knowledge, does he offer transport directly from the cruise port to your custom destination?  Looking to hike El Yunque on a 3pm-10pm port day, without spending Celebrity’s $150 per person & be forced to spend 30min at a souvenir shop.

13 minutes ago, mes045 said:

Is this the same Ellis to whom you refer?  https://www.facebook.com/EllisPRTours/ 

From your knowledge, does he offer transport directly from the cruise port to your custom destination?  Looking to hike El Yunque on a 3pm-10pm port day, without spending Celebrity’s $150 per person & be forced to spend 30min at a souvenir shop.

That's him.  And yes he picks you up at the dock (well as close as they will let him get based on traffic - was a few blocks away as they closed the road in front of the ships.   We did a modified version of one of his standard tours, but if you work out something custom you will go right there.