First timer

pehlibaar

This will be our first time in St. Thomas. 3 adults and 2 kids (6 and 9). I know absolutely nothing about this island, want info on what to do/see. Are the beaches the main attraction? Any sightseeing tours worth doing? Any and all info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

We used Godfrey Tours and were very happy. We took the 6 hour tour that included 2 hours for shopping / lunch downtown, a 2 hour Island Tour and 2 hours at our choice of one of 3 beaches. The price was very reasonable and we ended up being the only 2 on the tour. 

Yes the beaches are beautiful, and you have several to choose from that offer amenities including Magens Bay (entry fee), Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the Emerald Beach Resort), Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor. You can learn about the beaches and other ideas in recent threads. We always recommend Sapphire because it is so beautiful and offers snorkeling (with a rental center), nice island views, food and drink options and lounge rentals, and the opportunity to enjoy a quieter part of the beach.

The town of Charlotte Amalie is a shopping mecca if you want that, but do try to experience the beauty while in port.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:36 AM, blue_water said:

Yes the beaches are beautiful, and you have several to choose from that offer amenities including Magens Bay (entry fee), Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the Emerald Beach Resort), Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor. You can learn about the beaches and other ideas in recent threads. We always recommend Sapphire because it is so beautiful and offers snorkeling (with a rental center), nice island views, food and drink options and lounge rentals, and the opportunity to enjoy a quieter part of the beach.

The town of Charlotte Amalie is a shopping mecca if you want that, but do try to experience the beauty while in port.

Hey blue_water,

I was just looking at the Sapphire Snorkeling and Island Drive excursion through celebrity. Do you know if you need to have any experience snorkeling, or if you can bypass the snorkel part? I've never gone snorkeling before, and wouldn't mind trying, but my wife would rather stay on the beach. Do you snorkel right in front of the beach? I also notice it says take the skyline drive. Do you know if they provide the vehicle for this/how long this drive is? This is our first time being at this port.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, JB333 said:

Hey blue_water,

I was just looking at the Sapphire Snorkeling and Island Drive excursion through celebrity. Do you know if you need to have any experience snorkeling, or if you can bypass the snorkel part? I've never gone snorkeling before, and wouldn't mind trying, but my wife would rather stay on the beach. Do you snorkel right in front of the beach? I also notice it says take the skyline drive. Do you know if they provide the vehicle for this/how long this drive is? This is our first time being at this port.

Thanks

Hi! Yes, you swim out just a short distance to snorkel around the coral or the seagrass area. Most people wear an inflatable vest so they can float easily. The water can sometimes be choppy, depending on sea and wind conditions, but it is usually calmer and easy if you are a decent swimmer. I can’t swim, but with the vest and fins I am fine. The dive rental staff can give you advice on what you need and where to go. There are 3 condo properties, one right on the beach, and owners may provide help with the snorkeling. As always, do bot touch or stand on the coral.

Your wife can relax on the beach with a drink and admire the beautiful island views. Lounge rentals are reported to be $9pp. The dive center and beach bar are close to the sandier swimming area and is where most day visitors will hang out. You can also take your lounges to a spot where the shore is rockier but there are less people. 

You can also go on your own and just hop a taxi going to the East End, the taxi fare is $10 - $11pp each way on a shared safari taxi. Taxis will return to pick you up, and some may take you back over skyline drive for a little more, not sure. If you want to take the cruise ship excursion that just includes a ride over Skyline Drive for views of the harbors you can, you will have limited time at the beach however. I always recommend going on your own for the utmost flexibility, the taxis and ferries are very reliable.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:12 PM, blue_water said:

Hi! Yes, you swim out just a short distance to snorkel around the coral or the seagrass area. Most people wear an inflatable vest so they can float easily. The water can sometimes be choppy, depending on sea and wind conditions, but it is usually calmer and easy if you are a decent swimmer. I can’t swim, but with the vest and fins I am fine. The dive rental staff can give you advice on what you need and where to go. There are 3 condo properties, one right on the beach, and owners may provide help with the snorkeling. As always, do bot touch or stand on the coral.

Your wife can relax on the beach with a drink and admire the beautiful island views. Lounge rentals are reported to be $9pp. The dive center and beach bar are close to the sandier swimming area and is where most day visitors will hang out. You can also take your lounges to a spot where the shore is rockier but there are less people. 

You can also go on your own and just hop a taxi going to the East End, the taxi fare is $10 - $11pp each way on a shared safari taxi. Taxis will return to pick you up, and some may take you back over skyline drive for a little more, not sure. If you want to take the cruise ship excursion that just includes a ride over Skyline Drive for views of the harbors you can, you will have limited time at the beach however. I always recommend going on your own for the utmost flexibility, the taxis and ferries are very reliable.

Thanks for the great response! Looking forward to this port now!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the info! Really starting to look forward to this now! I've never been snorkeling, I can't swim, but after these comments, I just may try it! Can I book a snorkeling excursion at the beach or do I need to do it with the cruise line? 

4 hours ago, pehlibaar said:

Thank you all for the info! Really starting to look forward to this now! I've never been snorkeling, I can't swim, but after these comments, I just may try it! Can I book a snorkeling excursion at the beach or do I need to do it with the cruise line? 

If you have never snorkeled, you should probably go with an organized group, whether through the cruise line or independently. Most of the day boats will help you with your skills. The people on the beach will just rent you equipment.

Yes for your first time snorkeling O2B is right on. Look at a cruise line or an independent group excursion that offers guidance and support. There are some good ones for St Thomas. Even though you are on a boat in deeper water you will wear a vest so you can float easily. However the current can be very swift so the itinerary/destination is important for a novice.

What other ports do you hit on your cruise?