How is My Current Shore Excursion Itinerary?

PittsburghNative

The following is what I have planned so far. Any suggestions/recommendations of what not to miss? Should I take any activity out and replace with something else?

Ketchikan: SE Alaska Discovery Center and Totem Bight State Historical Park

Sitka: Alaska Raptor Center, Sitka National Historical Park, Fortress of the Bear

Skagway: Helicopter and Glacier Dogsledding (already booked)

Icy Strait Point: ZipRider

Juneau: Mount Roberts Tramway

Victoria, BC: ?

How much time do you have in Juneau?  60 - 90 minutes should be enough.  Also, if it is overcast, it might not be worth doing this at all so it could be a real time decision.  You can take a public bus to the Mendenhall Glacier.  Also, Totem Bight can be a DIY.

Here is a link to pictures from our day in Ketchikan

https://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/332

Of course there are numerous  that "should be "   taken-   depends on YOUR interests.   

Not sure what you are looking for with your post?    Your selections are worthwhile tour options,   which I'll assume are what YOU want to include and do?    

14 hours ago, mskaufman said:

How much time do you have in Juneau?  60 - 90 minutes should be enough.  Also, if it is overcast, it might not be worth doing this at all so it could be a real time decision.  You can take a public bus to the Mendenhall Glacier.  Also, Totem Bight can be a DIY.

Here is a link to pictures from our day in Ketchikan

https://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/332

When I read this again it looked incomplete.  Mt. Roberts is what should take 60 - 90 minutes and what you might want to avoid on an overcast day.

10 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Of course there are numerous  that "should be "   taken-   depends on YOUR interests.   

Not sure what you are looking for with your post?    Your selections are worthwhile tour options,   which I'll assume are what YOU want to include and do?    

I guess I’m looking to do an excursion or something on my own that won’t kill my bank account, as the heli/dogsledding tour is outrageous. I think in Ketchikan I’ll be able to do those activities on my own. I’ve heard Victoria can be done on your own. I will say I’m not interested in the Butchart Gardens. I have looked on TripAdvisor and selected my choices based on reviews.

I don’t need to do anything extravagant in port. No need for fishing, flight seeing, whale watching (I’ve done that in the past). I was thinking of maybe doing a wildlife cruise around the coast.

Also, I will be in Juneau from 8am to 930pm to answer mskaufman.

Edited by PittsburghNative

32 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

I don’t need to do anything extravagant in port. No need for fishing, flight seeing, whale watching (I’ve done that in the past). I was thinking of maybe doing a wildlife cruise around the coast.

Around which coast?

1 hour ago, PittsburghNative said:

I was thinking Sitka or Ketchikan. However, I may want to somehow see Misty Fjords in Ketchikan and the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, either by bus or boat.

In my opinion   Misty Fjords by air can't be beat.  :)   nothing shows the beauty and vastness more.   I find via boat much less so.  

The only "boat"  you would be with for Mendenhall,  is either a canoe or kayak.   It is a simple,  visit otherwise,   that is cheap.   I do advocate-  taking the time,  to walk Nugget Falls,  and  Trails of time   trails.  Both excellent.   I do  take the city bus there,   but ideal with with your long port day-  I would definitely rent a car,  and add a whole lot more sightseeing.    :)   

Some cruiselines offer a Tracy Arm small boat excursion for Juneau which is a worthwhile excursion....glaciers and maybe bears, mountain goats, seals and whales from a distance.   That could be considered a glacier and wildlife cruise around the coast.  I would prefer that to Misty Fjords.

You could save money in Ketchikan by taking the city bus to Potlatch Park and elsewhere.  Walk down to Creek Street and walk up Married Man’s Trail to the hotel that overlooks the harbor.  A lot of ships have short port days in Ketchikan.

In Victoria walk down to the inner harbor or go down to the small boat harbor and take a little water taxi over to the Empress Hotel and the Parliament Building.

Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, and Taku Glacier Lodge if you want a worthwhile splurge. The tramway is nice, and spectacular alpine hiking is available at the top, even on a cloudy day. The mountaintop is often above the cloud layer. The Alaska State Museum is great. You will have plenty of time to wander downtown. Go up the hill from the ships to access more local businesses. 

Edited by AKfamily