NCL Sun first impressions

zitsky

More.

Our cabin steward is very good and works very hard to take care of us.

Fitness center equipment is a little old.  Same as I had in our hotel in Santiago.  Love the cold towels!!

Wine selection is not bad but could be better.   The wine list is the same in each specialty restaurant.  Example.  We have an Italian and French restaurant. It would be nice to have a few more wines by the glass from these countries.  There are more by the bottle but not everyone wants to drink that much.

Had a very bad Nebbiolo Barolo that I had to send back.  Had a very decent St. Emilion.  The only nice thing about my dinner at Le Bistro.

Edited by zitsky

Embarkation in San Antonio was painless, but I came late at 2pm so I missed the big crowds.  It really was much easier than I expected.  I was a little worried when they took passports, but that is normal.

Not sure who is hotel director.  That name doesn't seem familiar but I could be wrong.

37 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Not as many children on board as I expected.

Great!!  

How bad bad is the equipment in the gym? I think I saw you mention your hotel in Santiago on the SA port board and I think I’m staying in the same hotel...the Ritz Carlton?  If the equipment is bad there I’d be upset, given I cleaned out Marriott points for that stay. 

Any my other comments about how the cruise is going?  How is the internet around the horn? Any issues making ports?  How have the seas been?  

Thanks for your reports.

Equipment looks 10 years old.  I set workout to 30 and it will stop at a random time.  Yes I was at the Ritz Carlton.

Internet is not good on sea days (of course)  I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the premium plans unless you really must have access.

It's hard for me to tell you what the seas are like since I have no prior experience on the ocean.  There is some mild rocking.  I've been taking meclizine, but I'm not sure it's necessary.  My husband was bothered by the noise last night when seas were a little rough.  I slept through it.

Ports are ok.  Tendering is easier than I expected.  Meals on excursions are not that great, but all the people seem nice.  Pisco sour in Chile is much better than Peru.

Almost half way through the cruise, I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of service I receive on the ship.

I did get a report that the Garden Cafe is very crowded (and MDR's too.)  Specialty restaurants can get busy but it's not too bad.

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

Almost half way through the cruise, I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of service I receive on the ship.

I did get a report that the Garden Cafe is very crowded (and MDR's too.)  Specialty restaurants can get busy but it's not too bad.

How is the entertainment?  The Sun has been known to have string quartets...any sign of them? 

How has the MDR been?  Do you know where suite breakfast and lunch is being served? 

Any classes of interest in the fitness center?

Thanks again for taking the time to report. 

22 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

How is the entertainment?  The Sun has been known to have string quartets...any sign of them? 

How has the MDR been?  Do you know where suite breakfast and lunch is being served? 

Any classes of interest in the fitness center?

Thanks again for taking the time to report. 

I want to find the classical music but I have been in Stardust theater a few times when they are playing.  I will keep looking.

I have not been to the MDR.  I think Cagneys is for suites.

Have not seen classes advertised.  Have not seen any in progress.  Rooms are usually empty.  But I will check dailies.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I want to find the classical music but I have been in Stardust theater a few times when they are playing.  I will keep looking.

I have not been to the MDR.  I think Cagneys is for suites.

Have not seen classes advertised.  Have not seen any in progress.  Rooms are usually empty.  But I will check dailies.

Thanks Zitsky!  It is nice to have a SA cruiser reporting live!  

Hope you make Falklands ...which is always 50-50.

Veuve Clicquot prices at Champagne Bar on the Sun.

Glass $23.75

Bottle $95.00

I was told by a waiter one night that it was only available by the bottle.  Obviously bad info.  On one side of the lounge are adds with these prices.

34 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Veuve Clicquot prices at Champagne Bar on the Sun.

Glass $23.75

Bottle $95.00

I was told by a waiter one night that it was only available by the bottle.  Obviously bad info.  On one side of the lounge are adds with these prices.

I guess if you like the good stuff, buying in the embarkation port and paying corkage might be the way to go.

1 hour ago, buggins0402 said:

Great!!! What excursion did you do there? Did you enjoy it?

Bluff Cove Lagoon and I highly recommend it.  Not as long as the other penguin expedition but you see plenty of penguins.  We saw Magellanic, Gentoo and King.  15 min in a 4x4 instead of an hour or two.

1 hour ago, buggins0402 said:

I guess if you like the good stuff, buying in the embarkation port and paying corkage might be the way to go.

But you have to find a place that sells VC.  I pre ordered champagne for the room.  On board they charge $95.  Pre order was $120 or $140.  I don't recall which.

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Bluff Cove Lagoon and I highly recommend it.  Not as long as the other penguin expedition but you see plenty of penguins.  We saw Magellanic, Gentoo and King.  15 min in a 4x4 instead of an hour or two.

Nice to hear...we decided to go with the BC Lagoon also.  We love to see wildlife, but we have our limits. We are more social scientists in our travels rather than naturalists. I want to have time to explore Stanley a bit also and perhaps hit Gypsy Cove. 

How are the wine choices?  I’m not extremely fussy, as long as it’s not rot gut bad. We have a drink package...are there better choices by the glass, that one can pay an upcharge over the $15 limit?  Trying to determine if we should bring some bottles on board for corkage.

What are your plan for Madryn?

The wines are respectable and yes there are some with an up charge.  I think most people would be satisfied.

In Puerto Madryn I'm doing this tour.

NCL Estancia Experience, Punta Loma, Eco Centro (backup Great Patagonian Adventure $349) @ 8:00am to 1:00pm (meal)