Mariner discounts in new Cruise Atlas

OVgirl

In the new Cruise Atlas 2019/2020 on page 197 it shows in the list for 3*mariners, a 25% discount on individual bottles of wine priced over US$100. I've never seen or heard of this before.  There is a small diamond for more detail and it indicates that individual bottles are excluded.

Has anyone seen this or tried getting the discount onboard?

20181227_112017.jpg

Well that is confusing.  Must have been created by the same team that does the HAL website.  Here is what the "diamond" explains in more detail:

A bar service charge of 15% is excluded from
the discount. Excludes wine cards, Sommelier Suite
packages, individual bottles, wine-by-the-glass, and
beverage gift cards

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

No -- I haven't seen that before.

One thing that I see in your photo -- for 5 stars -- 2 complimentary dinners in the Pinnacle Grill (pay surcharge fee only).  We have never paid anything for those free dinners.  Wonder what HAL means by "pay surcharge fee only"?

I believe this refers to items on the menu that carry a surcharge, not the cover charge normally paid for admission to the specialty restaurant.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

Well that is confusing.  Must have been created by the same team that does the HAL website. 

Could be and of course they always have a disclaimer about 'printing errors'  that can be corrected at any time.

Edited by OVgirl

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

No -- I haven't seen that before.

One thing that I see in your photo -- for 5 stars -- 2 complimentary dinners in the Pinnacle Grill (pay surcharge fee only).  We have never paid anything for those free dinners.  Wonder what HAL means by "pay surcharge fee only"?

1 hour ago, travellersrest said:

I believe this refers to items on the menu that carry a surcharge, not the cover charge normally paid for admission to the specialty restaurant.

You are correct.  The PG dinner is only free for the cost of going there (base cost).

Any added items (caviar, lobster, steak, etc.) that has an extra charge on the menu is not included and the 5* pays full price for that.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

That refers to things like caviar and the lobster tail supplement. No charge for the actual PG meal. 

1 hour ago, OVgirl said:

In the new Cruise Atlas 2019/2020 on page 197 it shows in the list for 3*mariners, a 25% discount on individual bottles of wine priced over US$100. I've never seen or heard of this before.  There is a small diamond for more detail and it indicates that individual bottles are excluded.

Has anyone seen this or tried getting the discount onboard?

I haven't seen that before either OVgirl.  

What's strange is that it is there for 3* Mariners but apparently 4 & 5 * must only get 25% off as well?

Just now, Vict0riann said:

I wonder if all this is a lead-up to the change in, or removal of, the wine packages, with the "new" wine selections they are supposed to be bringing in?

The wine program is in a serious state of flux. In fact, it's pretty accurate to say that it's fluxxed up. Not to steal the thunder from one of my upcoming posts in my (Riveting! A Must Read!)  "Live From" thread, but the wine prices in the POS system - which is common to all beverage servers - does not necessarily match the printed or electronic lists. I'm pretty sure that the Holland America Department of Keeping All This Stuff in Sync is on extended holiday or has been furloughed.

If you've ever been in a store and seen one of those "We will match our competition's prices" signs, just imagine the same thing, only between different places on the ship. Armed with the pricing from the different venues, I was able to get my servers to price match.

For me, it's a rich vein of comedy gold that I can mine. For other people who may not be looking for nuggets of humor everywhere they go, it might tend to annoy you. (The IOC Department of Mixed Metaphor Prevention would like to point out that this post used:

1. Rich Vein
  2. Comedy Gold
  3. Mine, and
  4. Nuggets

A lot of other institutes tend to coast during the week between Christmas and New Year's. Not here at the National Institute of Cheer. We keep moderately competent people on the job all the time.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder if anyone going on a cruise shortly, would be willing to bring this up with their wine steward?

Not sure if I need to bring the whole cruise atlas with me or if just ripping out the page will suffice.😅

Edited by OVgirl

7 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

I wonder if anyone going on a cruise shortly, would be willing to bring this up with their wine steward?

Not sure if I need to bring the whole cruise atlas with me or if just ripping out the page will suffice.😅

We have a cruise atlas from Saturday. Unless there's a crash course planned for the next 48 hours, I doubt anyone on board knows what's going on 

• Like 1