Booking excursions

ngrimes321

When booking an excursion is it possible to put down a deposit and pay it overtime as long as it’s paid by the time of the cruise? My cruise is booked under my dads name since he will be going too so I haven’t  been able to access as far as actually booking the excursion. It will be over $700 for my family of 4 so I want to get it booked so it doesn’t sell out and pay each month. Cruise isn’t until October 2020. 

1 hour ago, ngrimes321 said:

When booking an excursion is it possible to put down a deposit and pay it overtime as long as it’s paid by the time of the cruise? My cruise is booked under my dads name since he will be going too so I haven’t  been able to access as far as actually booking the excursion. It will be over $700 for my family of 4 so I want to get it booked so it doesn’t sell out and pay each month. Cruise isn’t until October 2020. 

Depending on the cruise line, you may be able to pre-purchase excursions with "shipboard credit" (SBC) provided by the cruise line and/or your TA when you booked.

Not enough (or no) SBC? Use your credit card.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I also have never heard of being able to pay for excursions over time.

Since we don't know what cruise line you will be sailing on or if you have any shipboard credit, I can tell you that Holland America will require you to pay for all excursions and specialty restaurants by a credit card when you book them before the cruise.  HAL does not allow you to use shipboard credit to pay for excursions or specialty restaurants until you are on the ship.

Most cruise lines require full payment upon booking.  If you're doing something that's NOT thru the cruise line, many wait until you arrive to get your cash.

In other words, prepare to pay when you book.  However, there is little need to rush into booking.  So many things are quite easy to do without ANY excursion or tour in the Caribbean.  A guidebook or a google search will give you lots of info that can enhance your time ashore..and save you some money!

Thank you all. I will save up and book that first then I will do the same for our cheers package. The last time I went on a cruise was 15 years ago when I was 16 and my parents did all the booking and waited til the last minute when nothing was left. We will be on the carnival pride. I am wanting to book the swimming with dolphins excursion for me and my oldest and the dolphin encounter for my husband and youngest in Freeport. I looked at booking through the actual company and there is a huge price difference I’m just worried about the ship running behind and us missing our selected time slot, or not being able to find transportation to the location. 

Carnival has a price match option for shore excursions if all the details are the same.  Many posters prefer private excursions vs. cruise line, but the Pride usually has a very short time at Freeport so I can understand wanting the "safety net" of a Carnival excursion.

• Like 1