8 month old on cruise

addicted cruiser

Hi we are going on a family cruise January 13th and at that time my grandson will be 8 months old and will still be eating baby food.

Does anyone know if the ship(NCL Getaway) will be able to provide purée food or should we bring our own in jars or pouches.  If we need to bring own how much would you suggest to bring?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You could call and ask but I highly doubt they’ll be able to purée foods for you-and I’m not sure I’d trust that they’d have exactly what you need and so I’d suggest bringing your own. Many times people are told one thing via phone and find a different situation onboard-and that would be awful if it meant no baby food. Royal Caribbean has Gerber Organic foods you can order to the stateroom, but I haven’t seen anything like that on NCL. I always bring all baby/child supplies (even though it’s a challenge to pack and haul it all) because I want the peace of mind. I’d bring a little more than you’d feed at home because travel throws off plenty of babies in terms of sleeping and eating and you’ll likely be throwing away more than usual. I’m not sure if you’ll have a fridge in your stateroom, but I know that on some ships this can be requested in the event of medications that need refrigeration so maybe you could put in a request for that if your room doesn’t already have one. 

There are lots of "mashable" foods...eggs, potatoes, bananas, oatmeal, applesauce, etc.  If there are things he needs to have, you can certainly bring them!

If he's breastfeeding, that's the easiest way!  Supplement with whatever you feed him at home, but the breast is always there and ready!

Be sure to bring all the "baby stuff" you will need...diapers, wipes, lotions and potions, pediatric medications...the ship has nothing for babies!

I would plan to bring anything and everything you think you will need, and then some. Also, you might want to check if the Getaway has a nursery. If not, you will all be spending a ton of time together. Also keep in mind that swim diapers are not allowed.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I would plan to bring anything and everything you think you will need, and then some. Also, you might want to check if the Getaway has a nursery. If not, you will all be spending a ton of time together. Also keep in mind that swim diapers are not allowed.

We are sailing with our 14 m/o grand-daughter, her parents and 3 y/o. I have been reading these boards for months looking for suggestions. One thing I read that I thought was a good idea is a blow up bath tub. It is very small, but should be good for bathing the baby. Also can put a little water in and sit on the balcony (emptying down the drain of course). We are bringing a pack and play, extra sheets, a umbrella stroller, lots of diapers and wipes. Our grand baby is still on formula, as she was a preemie, so she is way behind in size, and still not walking, so we are bringing bottled water for that. (her parents called the access desk for special permission). Don't forget any medicines you might need, as I hear the ship has nothing. Happy sailing and good luck. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Our kids were both about 9 months old on their first cruises. I brought baby food with in a jar. I also used some of the food on the ship as I could - mashed potatoes, small bites of scrambled eggs, applesauce, etc. While both of my babies ate a lot of the cruise food, I was glad that I had brought some with to supplement what was on the ship.