Is the "welcome home" offer really a "deal?"

BENHANDEL

We just got off our first CCL voyage (Horizon). And are looking at booking another trip for next Christmas. 

Is the Welcome Home offer really any better than other promotions? We are willing to take risks with ES deals, but it seemed similar to other deals offered. TIA

We've booked this deal twice now.  On our upcoming cruise we booked a suite and got 100.00 obc.  We have no problem booking early saver though and also want complete control of our booking which you don't have when you deal with a travel agent.  So for us we find it to be a good offer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Can't you book on your own and transfer to a TA for a better deal? Or was that discontinued?

and/or

any TA should be able to book the same deal Carnival is offering and offer more.

Still should be able to do that.

But Carnival will  flag  your account and they ask you every time you call if you're booked with anyone else, before they proceed to discuss anything with you .

1 minute ago, BoDidly said:

Still should be able to do that.

But Carnival will  flag  your account and they ask you every time you call if you're booked with anyone else, before they proceed to discuss anything with you .

How is that different than if you booked with a TA to begin  with?

As a bit of a newb...I understand that folks are unable to share or publish information about particular TA's on site. So I am just curious as to the best way to find some reasonable TA's to try.  Do you just use Google and give it your best shot?

3 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Cruise Critic has one or two large agencies that advertise here (my most recent best deal came from one of these).  You can also find agencies specializing in cruises in magazines such as Travel + Leisure.  Talk to friends, family, co-workers about who they use and recommend.  You can also ask fellow cruisers once your on board.  

I actually used a method by another poster.  He has several favorite agencies and when he's ready to book he BCC's each of them all the booking information and asks for a quote, booking with the agency that offers the best deal. I might still book myself, but I'll always transfer the booking to an agency for the perks they offer.

Thanks!  I will check these two out for starters, and start Networking. 🙂

Carnival pays a commission to travel agents to book your cruise. Some agents follow the policy that the price remains the same to the consumer no matter where you book. Some share their commission with the buyer in the form of on board credit or a cash card usable in a membership club. Other independent agents just discount your cruise fare, as long as you don't tell Carnival or other agents. 

If you book with Carnival on the phone, then transfer our booking to an outside agency the commission walks out the door too. You can understand why commission paid agents at Carnival would not want to advise you if their money was to evaporate when you moved your booking.