Car Rental Le Havre Cruise Terminal

The Wood Duck

I will give you info based on our last few visits to this port, but you will need to check in case things have changed (which can easily happen in France).  There is a single rental car counter located in the small port terminal and its owned by Rent A Car France.  Their web site is rentacar.fr and the location will come up as "Le Havre Terminal Croisiere."  Their online web site is in French although you could use a something like Google Chrome's browser with its automatic translator option.  If you decide to use this particular agency (which is the most convenient) make sure to pay attention to their insurance options since we had some problems with this a few years ago (might not be a problem today).

If you do not use that agency you must leave the port to rent a car.  There are some agencies located within a mile of the port such as the Sixt location on Quai Southampton.  There used to be an Avis location nearby but not sure that exists anymore.  We have actually walked to Sixt, but it was about a 30 min walk (we are fast walkers) which might not be appreciated by many cruisers.   You can certainly try to get a taxi to take you to any local rental car office, but most of the taxis that come to the port will be resistant to such a short haul fare (you might have to be somewhat assertive).   We just noticed that Enterprise also appears to have a location on the Quai Southampton (a road that runs outside the port) and it might be worth calling or e-mailing them to ask if they will pick you up at the port (many Enterprise locations will do free pick-up and drops).  Enterprise seems to have a rental location near what they call the "Ferry Terminal" but I have no clue as to their actual location or how that would work with the cruise ship dock.

We have done many rental car transactions in Europe and it sometimes feels like are trying to hit a moving target.  In many cases we prefer to find a way to directly contact the local office to work out specific instructions.  Sometimes we have had success just calling the toll free numbers and getting the people here in the USA to help (sometimes it works, sometimes it does not).

As to having a rental car in Le Havre, we love the option and have driven to many places including the D-Day beaches, Honfleur, Deuville, Etretat, Fecamp, and Bayaux, etc.  Lots of places to see in the large French Department (region) for those with a car and the spirit of adventure.

Hank

I am a Canadian that has rented cars twice in LeHavre. Once to visit Bayeaux, Juno beach, Benny-sur-Mer, and Pegasus bridge. The second visit was to Etretat and Honfleur. We rented from Europcar in town because we arrived on a Sunday and from rentacar the 2nd time. Unless the rentacar price is outrageous, I would use them again as we were on the road so much quicker and didn’t have to put a larger buffer on our return time. If you can’t drive a manual transmission, book early to get an automatic though the cost is much more. Have them switch the cars gps to English before leaving the lot or you may have to use your high school French 😀🇨🇦

Drive the speed limit or you will get a photo souvenir.

Edited by lamchops
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, lamchops said:

I am a Canadian that has rented cars twice in LeHavre. Once to visit Bayeaux, Juno beach, Benny-sur-Mer, and Pegasus bridge. The second visit was to Etretat and Honfleur. We rented from Europcar in town because we arrived on a Sunday and from rentacar the 2nd time. Unless the rentacar price is outrageous, I would use them again as we were on the road so much quicker and didn’t have to put a larger buffer on our return time. If you can’t drive a manual transmission, book early to get an automatic though the cost is much more. Have them switch the cars gps to English before leaving the lot or you may have to use your high school French 😀🇨🇦

Drive the speed limit or you will get a photo souvenir.

Did Rent a Car offer higher mileage limits? The show 100km free and a charge per km after that. WE would likely drive 250 to 300 km visiting the Canadian landing sites.

1 hour ago, The Wood Duck said:

Did Rent a Car offer higher mileage limits? The show 100km free and a charge per km after that. WE would likely drive 250 to 300 km visiting the Canadian landing sites.

We had unlimited mileage.

• 4 months later...

I rented from Sixt on the Quai de Southampton. Got a taxi from the terminal to their office, no problems collecting the car - had a very comfortable BMW. Drove the coastal route to Dieppe to visit the Canadian cemetery there (from the disastrous landing assault made there by mainly Canadian soldiers in WW2 - about 1942 if I remember correctly.) Dieppe is also a lovely town to visit. In the afternoon we drove to Honfleur. Lovely visit. Returning the car was simple - the office was closed so posted the keys through the box. Getting a taxi back proved more problematic but asked at a local restaurant and they very kindly called us a taxi which duly came and took us back to the terminal (we could see the ship from the car rental office - but it is a 3 side of a square walk to get to cross the bridges to reach the terminal) 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, HelenREMfan said:

I rented from Sixt on the Quai de Southampton. Got a taxi from the terminal to their office, no problems collecting the car - had a very comfortable BMW. Drove the coastal route to Dieppe to visit the Canadian cemetery there (from the disastrous landing assault made there by mainly Canadian soldiers in WW2 - about 1942 if I remember correctly.) Dieppe is also a lovely town to visit. In the afternoon we drove to Honfleur. Lovely visit. Returning the car was simple - the office was closed so posted the keys through the box. Getting a taxi back proved more problematic but asked at a local restaurant and they very kindly called us a taxi which duly came and took us back to the terminal (we could see the ship from the car rental office - but it is a 3 side of a square walk to get to cross the bridges to reach the terminal) 

Just a warning (to others) that it can often be difficult to get any taxi to take that short of a fare.  We have often walked to the area of Sixt (there have been various rental car agencies in that area over the years) but do understand that many cruiser either cannot do that walk or have no desire.

Hank

• 4 years later...
On 1/3/2019 at 11:17 AM, Hlitner said:

I will give you info based on our last few visits to this port, but you will need to check in case things have changed (which can easily happen in France).  There is a single rental car counter located in the small port terminal and its owned by Rent A Car France.  Their web site is rentacar.fr and the location will come up as "Le Havre Terminal Croisiere."  Their online web site is in French although you could use a something like Google Chrome's browser with its automatic translator option.  If you decide to use this particular agency (which is the most convenient) make sure to pay attention to their insurance options since we had some problems with this a few years ago (might not be a problem today).

If you do not use that agency you must leave the port to rent a car.  There are some agencies located within a mile of the port such as the Sixt location on Quai Southampton.  There used to be an Avis location nearby but not sure that exists anymore.  We have actually walked to Sixt, but it was about a 30 min walk (we are fast walkers) which might not be appreciated by many cruisers.   You can certainly try to get a taxi to take you to any local rental car office, but most of the taxis that come to the port will be resistant to such a short haul fare (you might have to be somewhat assertive).   We just noticed that Enterprise also appears to have a location on the Quai Southampton (a road that runs outside the port) and it might be worth calling or e-mailing them to ask if they will pick you up at the port (many Enterprise locations will do free pick-up and drops).  Enterprise seems to have a rental location near what they call the "Ferry Terminal" but I have no clue as to their actual location or how that would work with the cruise ship dock.

We have done many rental car transactions in Europe and it sometimes feels like are trying to hit a moving target.  In many cases we prefer to find a way to directly contact the local office to work out specific instructions.  Sometimes we have had success just calling the toll free numbers and getting the people here in the USA to help (sometimes it works, sometimes it does not).

As to having a rental car in Le Havre, we love the option and have driven to many places including the D-Day beaches, Honfleur, Deuville, Etretat, Fecamp, and Bayaux, etc.  Lots of places to see in the large French Department (region) for those with a car and the spirit of adventure.

Hank

Hank could you let me know the drive from Le Havre to D-Day beaches was it easy?

1 hour ago, Ajnp said:

Hank could you let me know the drive from Le Havre to D-Day beaches was it easy?

With a GPS (or working phone with GPS) it is relatively easy.  Once you get out of LeHavre, it is mostly rural and some small towns.

Hank

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Hank… just following this old thread for rental car info. We are departing our cruise early in Honfluer to spend more time in Normandy. I’m thinking of getting a rental car in Hornfluer, staying in Bayeux then driving to Charles de Gaulle for departure. I just wonder if you have driven to the airport. Seems like the most cost effective way, but I wonder how crazy it might be getting to the airport. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Deb,

Carlisle, PA!

4 hours ago, Extrapeachy said:

Hi Hank… just following this old thread for rental car info. We are departing our cruise early in Honfluer to spend more time in Normandy. I’m thinking of getting a rental car in Hornfluer, staying in Bayeux then driving to Charles de Gaulle for departure. I just wonder if you have driven to the airport. Seems like the most cost effective way, but I wonder how crazy it might be getting to the airport. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Deb,

Carlisle, PA!

Hi Neighbor :),

We have never rented a car at Honfleur so cannot give any first-hand advice on their rental locations.  But yes, we have driven to CDG a few times (and dropped cars).  The good news is that since Paris is Northeast of the city, and you are driving down from the north, you do not need to deal with getting around Paris.  As you can imagine, the traffic does increase as you near Paris and CDG, but like most large cities, it is all about timing and some luck (that there are no accidents on the autostrade).   

Life is much easier if you have a working cell phone can use Googlemaps or another map program to guide the way.  But it is mostly major highway and there are plenty of signs to the airport.  Just like at home, there are also signs to rental car drop locations.

Hank

On 3/2/2024 at 10:05 AM, Extrapeachy said:

Deb,

Carlisle, PA!

It would be easier to rent the car in LaHavre as that’s where the ship actually docks. I would rent from a company in town vs dockside for better pricing. I would return to LaHavre after your days of touring and take the train into Paris and on to CDG. I hate driving in and around Paris.

I wondered where the ship docks... I found a site called cruisemapper.com. It shows the dock on the Honfleur side of the inlet? I thought maybe because of the smaller ship it's different. 

On 3/3/2024 at 11:24 AM, Extrapeachy said:

I wondered where the ship docks... I found a site called cruisemapper.com. It shows the dock on the Honfleur side of the inlet? I thought maybe because of the smaller ship it's different. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cd99a235a7bca8a6b85d002855dcb4f1.jpegQuai Roger Meunier, 76059 Le Havre, France

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 11:24 AM, Extrapeachy said:

https://www.whatsinport.com/Le-Havre.htm
I’ve ported there 4 times with MSC and NCL.

Edited by lamchops
Spelling

If your ship does dock in Le Havre, there are several rental car agencies within a half hour walk of the port or a short taxi ride.  Inside the port there used to be a single rental car company rentacar.fr although we are not sure if they are still operating inside the port.  

We have heard of a few ships that do tender into Honfleur.  Not sure if any cruise line does that these days.  We have long been outspoken that cruise lines should not claim on their itinerary, to go to a certain place (such as Le Havre) when they actually dock or tender into a completely different city/place.  

Hank

Hi Hank!

I’m almost certain we dock in Honfleur. Although I might wait until we board to rent the car.

We are on a small newish cruise line called Atlas. Only 200 on board. It’s our second cruise with them. I looked at cruisemapper and our boat ports 14 May. I don’t see it on the Le Havre list…World Navigator. There are also several Viking Cruise boats on the Honfleur list too..

We board in Lisbon on 7 May so I should have time to figure it out on board. 

Thanks!

Deb

5 hours ago, Extrapeachy said:

Hi Hank!

I’m almost certain we dock in Honfleur. Although I might wait until we board to rent the car.

We are on a small newish cruise line called Atlas. Only 200 on board. It’s our second cruise with them. I looked at cruisemapper and our boat ports 14 May. I don’t see it on the Le Havre list…World Navigator. There are also several Viking Cruise boats on the Honfleur list too..

We board in Lisbon on 7 May so I should have time to figure it out on board. 

Thanks!

Deb

We have been to Honfleur many times and would really be curious where your ship can "dock" in that town.  Unless things have changed (doubtful) there is no cruise ship dock in (or close to that town) that can handle anything much larger then 2500 tons!  I guess there are still a few ships around that small,  but that is not what most folks think of as cruise ships. The World Navigator is 10,000 tons and I am doubtful that it could dock at Honfleur.  Tender.....yes.  Perhaps Honfleur has improved their docking facility and, if so, I hope you post that info here.

I will again reiterate that some cruise lines have this "habit" of misleading their customers by listing itinerary places that are not close to where the ship docks/tenders.  In fact, I recall a few years ago a cruise line telling folks their port was Rome!  Rome is not even on the sea and the nearest port is a good hour distant!  

However, we do know of a few smaller cruise ships that would lay-off Honfleur and tender their passengers into the town.  I have never seen this happen but have been told (by others) that it happens.

Hank

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2019 at 11:06 AM, The Wood Duck said:

On 1/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, lamchops said:

We had unlimited mileage.

I know these are old replies, but the thread recently became active again.

I just checked Rent A Car France, and it is 100km included.  You can purchase packages of miles ahead of time, 500km is E$60 additional charge.  This is about 50% cheaper than paying additional per km.

There were no unlimited km options offered.

Edited by mpk

I did see an Enterprise offer that included unlimited mileage. I think I found it on the US Enterprise site. 

Regardless of where we dock, unless the agency is real close we’ll probably Uber so it may not matter a lot about the rental location.

I’ll post if it is in Honfleur. I looked at the port map, maybe it’s just across from the Le Haver side? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not down closer to the city port?

Our last cruise with them we docked in Seville, Spain. They sailed all the way down Guadalquivir river right into town. It took more than an hour from the sea. Funny they had to make a K-turn to sail back out.

I originally booked this trip mainly for the day in Normandy. Now I’m super excited about spending three days there…not just one excursion. 😊 We hope to see Mont St Michel too. I have a small bnb in Bayeux reserved. Yay!

Of course there will be some port along the way too. 😋😋

Best!

Deb

ps…dock in Rome! 😂😂

On 3/6/2024 at 6:10 AM, Extrapeachy said:

I did see an Enterprise offer that included unlimited mileage. I think I found it on the US Enterprise site. 

Regardless of where we dock, unless the agency is real close we’ll probably Uber so it may not matter a lot about the rental location.

I’ll post if it is in Honfleur. I looked at the port map, maybe it’s just across from the Le Haver side? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Not down closer to the city port?

Our last cruise with them we docked in Seville, Spain. They sailed all the way down Guadalquivir river right into town. It took more than an hour from the sea. Funny they had to make a K-turn to sail back out.

I originally booked this trip mainly for the day in Normandy. Now I’m super excited about spending three days there…not just one excursion. 😊 We hope to see Mont St Michel too. I have a small bnb in Bayeux reserved. Yay!

Of course there will be some port along the way too. 😋😋

Best!

Deb

ps…dock in Rome! 😂😂

I find your post interesting.  It is about 15 miles between Le Havre and Honfleur,  I would not be happy with a cruise line that cannot answer the simple question of "where are we going."

Mt St Michel is an interesting place (assuming you can walk).  If you get a chance to see Mt St Michel at night, from a couple of miles distant, it is absolutely gorgeous.  We once drove to that area and spent a night a short distance up the road in a motel.  When we left our motel room, after dark, to drive over to Mt St Michel for dinner, the sight of the town bathed in its eerie lights was jaw dropping.  It also turned out that the town was empty at night, which made it all the more amazing.  

Hank

It’s a newish cruise line, started about 2020. Touted all inclusive. Which they are except for excursions. If you find any of their threads most complaints are about communication. They specialize mostly in polar expeditions. In between itineraries are repositioning. We enjoyed our last cruise with them but I don’t know how many more I’d do, maybe Antarctic. Initially I didn’t question the port until someone in this thread indicated it would be Le Havre. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

I’ve read that about Mt St Michel.. A good thought! Thank you..Deb