Just off the Armonia (Cuba/Christmas)

lmfinney

6 minutes ago, HeavySeaman said:

Ok, so I am considering this cruise but have some questions. I saw some discussion about the included lobster advertisement. Was that ever clarified? I am used to a Lobster Night on Royal and wondered if that was offered on MSC?

I don't know what advertisement you mean, so maybe this is irrelevant. However, lobster was offered without upcharge twice in the main dining room on our cruise (though one of those was a special menu for Christmas day). So, we were able to get lobster, but it wasn't a "Lobster Night."

5 minutes ago, lmfinney said:

I don't know what advertisement you mean, so maybe this is irrelevant. However, lobster was offered without upcharge twice in the main dining room on our cruise (though one of those was a special menu for Christmas day). So, we were able to get lobster, but it wasn't a "Lobster Night."

Twice is one better than Royal. Sounds great. Thanks. On one of the diagrams off the Cruise Mapper site it had a golf simulator. Is that accurate? 

2 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

I'm just back off the New Year cruise and I'm sorry I don't have any photos but here are my observations and thoughts.

Thank you so much for reporting back, lovetoholiday.  You've just reminded me of how confusing the elevators can be (we've been on Sinfonia with the same experiences as yourself).

Seems that the gelato situation is a bit disingenuous.  Here's the exact wording from the article:

"MSC Cruises is already known for offering some of the best gelato at sea and now, every creamy bite comes included with the cruise, leaving guests plenty of opportunity to try every flavour on board."

While it's actually true by your account, you would expect the range that's available on other ships to be included (at least that's what I would have expected had it not been for you sharing your experience).

Interesting to read, too, that the "Al fresco dining" doesn't exist.  I was (almost) regretting not booking Aurea when I read it was to be offered.  (We booked only a Fantastica suite because it, too, has MyChoice and the Classic drinks package was included in the fare, so need to stretch to Aurea).

Thanks for the heads-up, too, about the Meet & Mingle timing - we'll be sure to watch for the time in the daily program.

37 minutes ago, HeavySeaman said:

Twice is one better than Royal. Sounds great. Thanks. On one of the diagrams off the Cruise Mapper site it had a golf simulator. Is that accurate? 

I did not see the golf simulator on the Armonia.

And for the Lobster, I would think that a non-Christmas cruise would offer it only once.

2 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

One last thing we thought was odd was the 'Welcome Back' party, we spoke to 2 couples - there could have been more, who were on their first cruise with MSC but had received invitations to the party - strange and a bit unfair!

Thank you for a great review.  My guess with the welcome back party is that the new-to-MSC attendees were status matches.  I matched to silver and was told I would be invited.  Although I doubt I will go. I'm traveling with three friends who did not match.  Unless you think it's worth it?  This will be my first cruise so I'm not sure what it's really about. 

Again, the article about the changes on Armonia, on the subject of lobster is disingenuous:

"In the main dining room, guests will be able to enjoy cold-water lobster to create their own surf ‘n turf at no additional cost."

To my mind, it would seem that it would be "always available" along with the "always available" steak.  It doesn't mention anything about it being limited to certain nights.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:46 PM, FGJones said:

Did anyone in your party bring a curling iron of hair straighter and was there any issue?  The UK website explicitly states these item are fine but the US site does not call them out. 

Thank you

We're also just off the New Year's cruise.  I'll try to post a review in the next few days.  My daughter brought a curling iron with absolutely no issues, so, you should have no issues there.

Quick review: I realize I much prefer Seaside and Divina over Armonia.  There's just a lot of little things that were annoying such as the before mentioned photos not being delivered (we never thought to ask about them at the photo place so we never got ours) or the Gold member gift not being delivered (when we asked about it, we were told WE should have known to go ask at the Future Cruise desk, not sure how WE were supposed to know that!)  Also, we found the menu to include a lot of fish dishes which we don't eat so it was hard to find things we would like.  The crew, though, was extremely helpful.  Also, Cuba made it well worth the cruise.  It is such a beautiful place.

17 minutes ago, smeesme said:

... the Gold member gift not being delivered (when we asked about it, we were told WE should have known to go ask at the Future Cruise desk, not sure how WE were supposed to know that!)

Some Cruise Consultants arrange for the 'gift' to be delivered to the cabin, while others don't and, you're right, there is no information supplied about it.  It's ridiculous to expect people to queue at the desk to collect this 'gift' where future cruises are being booked!  😡

10 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Some Cruise Consultants arrange for the 'gift' to be delivered to the cabin, while others don't and, you're right, there is no information supplied about it.  It's ridiculous to expect people to queue at the desk to collect this 'gift' where future cruises are being booked!  😡

What is the gift for Gold?  Silver says I get a fruit basket and I was assuming it would just show up in my room at some point.  Is that hit or miss too?

While on the topic, how do I receive in-cabin items I have purchased in advance, like the chocolate strawberries?  Do I pick a date and let the steward know?

The 'gift' used to be a tote bag or an MSC baseball cap.  Recently, it's been reported that people are getting a large notepad or a pen (we got both on our last cruise or we could choose the tote bag - we already have several of these at this stage).

The fruit bowl will be delivered to your cabin ... it may even be there when you arrive.  If not, it will be delivered during the first day or so.

I've never pre-purchased in-cabin items so can't comment.

As for Welcome back party they go to great lengths to tell you all about how much MSC is growing and about the new ships and how they couldn't do it if it wasn't for all the returning guests.

I received a bowl of fruit in the cabin on the second day, but no gift for being gold.  I did get a room diffuser though but I thought that was for being Aurea.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, lmfinney said:

AKAIK, it's not possible to convert CUCs back.

In terms of how much to convert, it'll depend on what you do, of course. We spent about 120 CUCs for a tour, and we bought about 40 CUCs worth of rum, and about 15 CUC worth of other souvenirs. I don't know what to tell you about comparisons to other tourist traps - a t-shirt in the flea market was about 10 CUCs, if that helps.

Under the ports of call section of CC I asked about converting CUC back to dollars and they said you could do it before getting back on the ship.  Someone else posted awhile back there were long lines to convert back to dollars but if you're not in a big hurry it seems possible to convert the CUC to dollars.

30 minutes ago, mexico8 said:

Under the ports of call section of CC I asked about converting CUC back to dollars and they said you could do it before getting back on the ship.  Someone else posted awhile back there were long lines to convert back to dollars but if you're not in a big hurry it seems possible to convert the CUC to dollars.

Sounds good. The cruise director said it wasn't possible, and I didn't validate his statement.

When we were getting ready to go, there was no line at all at the exchange desk in the terminal - I ran through to exchange 20 Euros to buy more rum, and there was no waiting. It should be the same line to convert back, so it would have been quick for me at that point, but I wasn't going in that direction.

15 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Was there anywhere in the terminal to spend any unused CUCs?

Yes, there's a shop with some more expensive souvenirs and rum (at the same price as the rum museum), and there are a few stalls with the same types of souvenirs as at the flea market.

We had a bit of success haggling at one of the stalls (getting two toys that are normally 3 CUCs apiece for the 4.9 CUCs we had left).