Just off the Armonia (Cuba/Christmas)

lmfinney

1 minute ago, NCTribeFan said:

That's a long list of excursions (and large font)!  What's this about free Havana excursions?

We have 2 included excursions in Havana as part of an MSC promotion - the CUB30 and the CUB31.  We'll probably do the first one just to get through the customs area more quickly on the first day, but will take the $50 credit against a more attractive one for the second day (hopefully there will be some better offerings onboard).  We may even forfeit it and DIY it.

We've booked Tropicana privately and are getting dinner & show (plus taxi fare) cheaper than MSC's excursion for transport and show only.

12 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We've booked Tropicana privately and are getting dinner & show (plus taxi fare) cheaper than MSC's excursion for transport and show only.

We also booked the Tropicana show directly before we went and it was absolutely fabulous. We didn't eat there through so can't comment on the food.

58 minutes ago, lovetoholiday said:

We also booked the Tropicana show directly before we went and it was absolutely fabulous. We didn't eat there through so can't comment on the food.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.  We'd been toying with the idea of going; then I read that MSC have a Cuban band onboard for the night and thought that would suit.  However, I was afraid we'd regret not going when we got home.

We decided to chance having dinner - it wasn't much extra for a 3 course meal;  I had a look at the menu on the website and it's not bad.  We're also hoping to get good seats (hopefully it won't rain that evening).

I saw your comment on another thread regarding the time of your check-in;  you've helped me make the decision to wait 'til afternoon to go down to the port.  We're not that anxious for MSC food that we have to have lunch on embarkation day LOL.

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.  We'd been toying with the idea of going; then I read that MSC have a Cuban band onboard for the night and thought that would suit.  However, I was afraid we'd regret not going when we got home.

We decided to chance having dinner - it wasn't much extra for a 3 course meal;  I had a look at the menu on the website and it's not bad.  We're also hoping to get good seats (hopefully it won't rain that evening).

I saw your comment on another thread regarding the time of your check-in;  you've helped me make the decision to wait 'til afternoon to go down to the port.  We're not that anxious for MSC food that we have to have lunch on embarkation day LOL.

We decided to i go  to the the show Le Parisean at the Hotel Nacional,   Cost was only 35 CUC pp included a cocktail and a 3 minute cab ride to the ship.  Thw show was indoors and brillant, not as big as the Trop show but big.  A famous Cuban bonjo player show us his talent.   It was all terrifric, and the Hotel Nacional on Saturday night is the place to go.

Edited by pamrose228
misspell

We will have our ten month old with us so we have decided to stick with the show onboard! Since our cruise is two back to back we get 4 free excursions. I’m thinking the same that we’ll do one on the first day and to speed up customs and then maybe organise our own with Blexie. I’m really hoping there is a Vinales option.

13 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Just thought that being on an excursion gets you off the ship before those who aren't.

I think that's the default, but on our sailing we got to the port early. They opened it up to independent passengers before those who had the first set of excursions for about an hour. There was a very long line.

1 hour ago, lmfinney said:

I think that's the default, but on our sailing we got to the port early. They opened it up to independent passengers before those who had the first set of excursions for about an hour. There was a very long line.

No guarantees, either way, so.

On another subject - do you remember if they had the 'American breakfast' on the room service menu?  I see they have it on Divina;  there's a charge of $7.95 for delivery which seems well worth it.  Would love to enjoy it on Armonia.

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

No guarantees, either way, so.

On another subject - do you remember if they had the 'American breakfast' on the room service menu?  I see they have it on Divina;  there's a charge of $7.95 for delivery which seems well worth it.  Would love to enjoy it on Armonia.

Yes they had it on the Armonia.  I don't remember the charge though.

As to disembarking, I think what they did on the first day was to start calling some excursion numbers then allowing some non excursion people off so they were just all mixed together in the very long snaking queue. We had been talking to some people on a different excursion in the theatre and we were called before them. We were in the 4th and final part of the snake when we saw them in the second bit.  As it turned out they were through customs before us as they got into a quicker line once inside the building.  So it's really just your luck on the day.  Hopefully you will be lucky.

28 minutes ago, lovetoholiday said:

Yes they had it on the Armonia.  I don't remember the charge though.

As to disembarking, I think what they did on the first day was to start calling some excursion numbers then allowing some non excursion people off so they were just all mixed together in the very long snaking queue. We had been talking to some people on a different excursion in the theatre and we were called before them. We were in the 4th and final part of the snake when we saw them in the second bit.  As it turned out they were through customs before us as they got into a quicker line once inside the building.  So it's really just your luck on the day.  Hopefully you will be lucky.

Thank you!

Good to know about the breakfast.  It'll more than likely be the same cost as on Divina.  Looking forward to trying that out;  we've never bothered with the Continental offerings, but this will be different.

On the dailies Imfinney posted, it says early dinner seating is 6pm and late 8:30. Over the phone last week, an MSC agent said early was 5:30pm and late 7:45. Would some folks care to report back if this time change is accurate? 7:45 seems ideal but 8:30 too late. 

Quick question, does MSC allow you to order two entree plates in the MDR as other cruises do?  If that’s the case it looked like the menu always offers a lobster and a steak dinner, so these could be combined for a surf and turf. 

You can order any number of any courses.  However, it seems that lobster was only available on one night in the MDR (despite the impression given in the news article about the new offerings onboard Armonia).

It's certainly available every night in the speciality restaurant - at a cost.

1 hour ago, nogard13 said:

Quick question, does MSC allow you to order two entree plates in the MDR as other cruises do?  If that’s the case it looked like the menu always offers a lobster and a steak dinner, so these could be combined for a surf and turf. 

Yes, you can order 2 entrees. I've ordered 3 before actually. 4 appetizers also. Multiple desserts too. My waiter Kumar just started asking what 2 dishes I wanted after day 2. 

Edited by Reds4life

When we were in Cuban last week we hired via the internet a tour company Cuban Connections who did everything for us.  For two days no worries.   Met us at the ship day one took us on a lengthly walking tour, then had a classic car waiting for us (Belair 54) for the rest of day and evening.   Instead of Tropicana we went to the Le Parisean at the Hotel Nacional and the car and tour guide were there to meet us and bring us back to ship (at midnight)  The tour guide also brought us back to the ship at 7 to freshen up and eat dinner and brought through Havana at evening at 8:30.   Next day he meet us at 9 aa with a pink chevy 62 convertible.  He bought us to sights that no big bus operator would bring people.  e.g. we went to the site of the Cuban Missile Crisis with the downed American plane and the missile pointing toward USA.

It costs us around 300 Euros for the 2 days but well worth it no extra taxis to the clubs, etc.  Also the guide knew exactly the right place to buy cigars, rum, shirts, etc/

• Thanks 1

Are the free excursions for Yacht Club cabins?  Or maybe non-US pax?  I certainly don't see any showing up when I try to do a mock booking.  Oh well!

pamrose - you mention paying in Euros although you appear to be from NYC.  Website shows prices in CUC but also says "check our rate for USD" but I don't see anywhere to do that.  What did you do that night in Havana?  Can you tell me which tour you booked?  I don't see one that exactly matches your description.  Thanks!

4 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Are the free excursions for Yacht Club cabins?  Or maybe non-US pax?  I certainly don't see any showing up when I try to do a mock booking.  Oh well!

There's no YC on Armonia.

MSC offer different promotions in different regions.  We have 2 Havana excursions included in our fare;  believe me, I'm sure they were factored into the cruise price - we're not getting them for "free".

On the subject of pamrose mentioning Euros - it seems that you get a better rate if you convert Euros or Canadian dollars to CUC.  Apparently there's a 10% charge on US$ (see the Ports of Call/Cuba forum for lots of information).

Mexico8 - you will need a visa which is organised by MSC onboard.  You have to fill out the following form as well which is handed in at check-in with your embarkation tickets:

Form for Entry to Cuba.pdf

I only have about 90E left from a prior cruise.  That probably wouldn't go far.  I'll check with DD to see if she has any GBP left over from her trip in October, but I'm betting she doesn't.

No, cruiselines don't really have "free" offers, do they?  😉

Great review and comments!  My wife is very allergic to cigar smoke (Migrane/Nausea/Vomiting)... How prevalent is cigar smoke in Cuba. We really want to go, but we don't need to have her too sick to enjoy the trip.  

Thanks!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, mexico8 said:

If any Canadians were on this cruise can you post if you had to have a Visa to enter Cuba?

Unfortunately, yes, you will need a visa since you are entering from the US.  The cost was $50 USD.