Pre paid SIM while in NZ - advice please

Hi all,

Just wondering if any NZ locals could give me some advice regarding purchasing a prepaid SIM for my iPhone please?  I'm on a 14 day NZ cruise and in various ports for 6 of those days.  Just wanting something that will allow me to check texts and messages quickly.  Any advice greatly appreciated.   Cheers, Vickie. 

Hi Vickie. 

(I am not a NZ local, hopefully you can also get an answer from them)

We used TravelSIM - available from any Australia Post shop. We bought them before our cruise, and connected them and made sure they worked. Their cost for SMS in NZ and short phone calls was reasonable. They work in many countries not just NZ. They also work on the "Cellular at sea" mobile phone network on the ship - though we didn't used them for messages at sea.  The big downside is that there is no mobile data attached to these SIM cards in NZ. (Europe apparently yes, but not NZ when we used them).

If you need data when in port, we have found free WiFi at many cafes and local libraries in NZ.

• Thanks 1

As well as Vodafone there are:

Spark - https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/mobile-plans/prepaid.html

2Degrees - https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/mobile/prepay/

and Vodafones prepaid plans are here - https://www.vodafone.co.nz/prepay/

Take your pick - if you are leaving from Auckland then just wander up Queens Street and you should find a retail outlet for each of these major providers - or look for something on arrival at the airport

• Thanks 1

I just spent a month in NZ with my family - all with iPhones and we all used Spark NZ SIM cards.

We bought the $29 card for NZ only, rather than pay the $49 for the "Travel SIM" -- which meant no phone calls or texts outside of NZ from these phones.  Better deal for the data, and we used Google Voice or iMessage to call home or send texts.  Coverage was very good and data speeds are great on 4G in urban centres.

The hiccup you should be aware of, is because your phone number changes to a NZ number the moment you pop in the SIM, iMessage will re-register itself with that number.  So if you're counting on using iMessage (blue text bubbles to other iPhone users), be aware of that.  You may need to tell people you want to text that you have a new number, and they won't be able to reach you until you tell them that.

All stuff you can work with, and which was well worth it for a month stay, but for just 6 days could constitute a non-negligible pain in the arse.

Edited by Blinkenlightz
  • Thanks 1

We are with Vodafone and while on our NZ cruise in November I took advantage of the $5 per day roaming using my plan data. So it cost me $30 extra for our six port days. Well worth it I thought.

Leigh

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, Blinkenlightz said:

I just spent a month in NZ with my family all with iPhones and we all used Spark NZ SIM cards.

We bought the $29 card for NZ only, rather than pay the $49 for the "Travel SIM" -- which meant no phone calls or texts outside of NZ from these phones.  Better deal for the data, and we used Google Voice or iMessage to call home or send texts.  Coverage was very good and data speeds are great on 4G in urban centres.

The hiccup you should be aware of, is because your phone number changes to a NZ number the moment you pop in the SIM, iMessage will re-register itself with that number.  So if you're counting on using iMessage (blue text bubbles to other iPhone users), be aware of that.  You may need to tell people you want to text that you have a new number, and they won't be able to reach you until you tell them that.

All stuff you can work with, and which was well worth it for a month stay, but for just 6 days could constitute a non-negligible pain in the arse.

Reviving this thread... although my question is about Australia.

When in Mexico for an extended period, I have a Mexican SIM card. I tell my Apple friends that they need to iMessage to my email address instead of my phone number as it won't function again until I return to Canada. Those iMessage 'texts' go to my phone where ever I am. I tell my Android friends to email me and I will call them back as the Mexican SIM card plan I use includes unlimited calls to Canada. This way, no one from home incurs any charges.

If not using an international SIM card (when in Europe or US), I can register with Bell Canada for 'Roam Better' for $12Cdn/day + taxes. Apparently, you are only charged for any individual 24-hr period (check the time zone) if you turn your data on.  So, turn it on one day if you need it, then turn it off until you may need it a couple of days later. If you forget to turn it off, or need use it several times, it can add up quickly.

We'll be in Australia for nearly two weeks of non-cruising days and may not always have access to wifi. What is the cost and/or carrier for an Australian SIM card?

Edited by Adventures ahead

1 hour ago, Adventures ahead said:

We'll be in Australia for nearly two weeks of non-cruising days and may not always have access to wifi. What is the cost and/or carrier for an Australian SIM card?

I’ve had good experience with Telstra, which incidentally seems to have the best coverage available.  Currently they’re advertising a 27GB prepaid SIM for 20 AUD.  How I wish we had that kind of pricing stateside!

7 minutes ago, Blinkenlightz said:

I’ve had good experience with Telstra, which incidentally seems to have the best coverage available.  Currently they’re advertising a 27GB prepaid SIM for 20 AUD.  How I wish we had that kind of pricing stateside!

That is a very good deal and it includes calls back to the US and select other countries - https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/offers-and-rates

Edited by Stickman1990