Very large group booking?

Deac1966

How does one find out if the cruise they booked will be dominated by a very large group like a trade association or company retreat?  This past October I booked a cruise for next October and by the beginning of December all staterooms were waitlisted leaving me to believe a very large group booked most of the staterooms. When I booked no category was waitlisted.  I called Oceania and was told there was no way they could find out.  I can’t believe they don’t have the ability to find out leaving me to believe they just don’t want to answer because it is true.  Your thoughts?

42 minutes ago, Deac1966 said:

How does one find out if the cruise they booked will be dominated by a very large group like a trade association or company retreat?  This past October I booked a cruise for next October and by the beginning of December all staterooms were waitlisted leaving me to believe a very large group booked most of the staterooms. When I booked no category was waitlisted.  I called Oceania and was told there was no way they could find out.  I can’t believe they don’t have the ability to find out leaving me to believe they just don’t want to answer because it is true.  Your thoughts?

In my experience, the "large groups" you may find on Oceania are usually collegiate alumni and generally well-behaved.

In any case, if your TA is an Oceania Connoisseurs Club member, I'm betting s/he could find out with a phone call/email to the regional sales rep.

1 hour ago, Deac1966 said:

You don't give which ship or itinerary.  This will often happen with the "R" ships on popular or new itineraries- only 600+ passengers.  Our Nautica cruise around Ireland for June 2019 was booked more than 1 year ahead of sail date.

15 minutes ago, arima22 said:

You don't give which ship or itinerary.  This will often happen with the "R" ships on popular or new itineraries- only 600+ passengers.  Our Nautica cruise around Ireland for June 2019 was booked more than 1 year ahead of sail date.

Try "Singapore to Tokyo (or further on to SF) on Insignia in May 2020. Pretty much the whole ship is waitlist.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I been aboard the Marina with a 450 person Multi Alumni Group. No effect at all on the rest of us. They shared tables with the rest of us and were like the other 800 on board. Biggest difference is those groups, along with the “ Food and Wine Trails” Groups tend to trend younger than most passengers overall.

Interested to know how you think such a group might negatively impact your cruise? Outraged to think someone might be dancing in Horizons at 11:00?

edited to add : Isn’t that cruise part of ATW 2020? 

Edited by pinotlover

There are all kinds of privacy rules in play, and frankly I have not spoken to any type of company in years which was willing to discuss other clients purchases with me.

In order to ascertain if a group is booked on your cruise, you might try Google Searching your sailing date combined with the word Oceania in order to see if it is being advertised privately.

20 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

There are all kinds of privacy rules in play, and frankly I have not spoken to any type of company in years which was willing to discuss other clients purchases with me.

In order to ascertain if a group is booked on your cruise, you might try Google Searching your sailing date combined with the word Oceania in order to see if it is being advertised privately.

Whenever someone mentions "rules," I am always reminded of the clarification offered by Capt. Jack Sparrow: "....more a set of guidelines."     Arrrrrrr. ☠️

22 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Whenever someone mentions "rules," I am always reminded of the clarification offered by Capt. Jack Sparrow: "....more a set of guidelines."     Arrrrrrr. ☠️

This may run contrary to your newly found sense of Western independence, but today there are rigid privacy regulations set forth, not only by businesses but by those governmental  bodies which regulate communications.

People have lost jobs over this sort of thing.  

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

This may run contrary to your newly found sense of Western independence, but today there are rigid privacy regulations set forth, not only by businesses but by those governmental  bodies which regulate communications.

People have lost jobs over this sort of thing.  

One of my favorite New Yorker cartoons pictured an obviously affluent titan of industry seated behind the huge desk with NYC skyline behind him speaking to the young man on the edge of his seat as his mentor says: "The secret to my success was that I made all my mistakes when no one was looking."

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, Deac1966 said:

Very simple.. Go to "Themecruisefinder.com"  This site will list all types of groups, their general size & the ships & dates they are booked on. That way if you don't cruising with groups of...Children/elderly/Gays(all types)Straights(all types)/adults/thin pax/heavy pax/aliens etc. you can decide what cruise you'll like. Of course if none of these groups appeal I'd suggest a chartered ship. Though the themecruise site is real, the rest of this blog is sarcasm, for those who can't get the joke!