Do both guests in a room get Mariner benefits?

PandaBear62

Hello, My mom is a 2* Mariner and I am the level below (just called mariner level, I believe). The "perks" for 2* include a "welcome onboard" lunch and a champagne brunch. Will I get those perks as the raveling partner of my mom? We are sharing a cabin.

It really is okay either way. It's just that as my mom gets older and I travel with her, I like to have all of my ducks in a row. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PandaBear62 said:

Hello, My mom is a 2* Mariner and I am the level below (just called mariner level, I believe). The "perks" for 2* include a "welcome onboard" lunch and a champagne brunch. Will I get those perks as the raveling partner of my mom? We are sharing a cabin.

It really is okay either way. It's just that as my mom gets older and I travel with her, I like to have all of my ducks in a row. 

Thanks.

Yes you get the 2* benefits.  Actually HAL has changed and the Welcome onboard is for anyone (unless sometimes they don't have it because of a special event in the MDR) and the champagne brunch is the Mariner lunch normally or a sea day.

11 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

Thanks.

👏👏👏  Kudos to you, PandaBear62, for being such a good daughter!!!  Enjoy your cruise - I hope you and your mom  have many, many more cruises together.

I recently had a run-around about this very issue on the Eurodam between the spa front desk, a front desk phone call, the front desk itself,  and printed HAL policy found on the HAL website. Finally resolved, but quite a bit of attitude and ill will from the spa people. (Complimentary 5 star benefit - thermal spa day pass to be extended to my two star cabin mate sister).

I recommend, to cut down on any possible confusion. printing out the very clear written HAL policy that extends the highest level Mariner benefits to everyone in the cabin who comes under the same booking number.  Don't have a link to where that policy is located, but for peace of mind it is worth a search to find it, print it and bring it along.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I recently had a run-around about this very issue on the Eurodam between the spa front desk, a front desk phone call, the front desk itself,  and printed HAL policy found on the HAL website. Finally resolved, but quite a bit of attitude and ill will from the spa people. (Complimentary 5 star benefit - thermal spa day pass to be extended to my two star cabin mate sister).

I recommend, to cut down on any possible confusion. printing out the very clear written HAL policy that extends the highest level Mariner benefits to everyone in the cabin who comes under the same booking number.  Don't have a link to where that policy is located, but for peace of mind it is worth a search to find it, print it and bring it along.

You’re lucky they gave in. We got off the Amsterdam today and had been in the same situation but they would not budge - even though we were on the same booking number and room as 5* Mariners. We had even taken the steps of multiple calls to the Mariner Society prior to the cruise to confirm what is on their site which clearly says all people under one booking number and in the same room with receive the benefits of the highest Mariner. The front desk put it on Seattle. There will be a long conversation tomorrow with both guest relations and also the Mariner Society.

1 hour ago, CGYCruisingFamily said:

You’re lucky they gave in. We got off the Amsterdam today and had been in the same situation but they would not budge - even though we were on the same booking number and room as 5* Mariners. We had even taken the steps of multiple calls to the Mariner Society prior to the cruise to confirm what is on their site which clearly says all people under one booking number and in the same room with receive the benefits of the highest Mariner. The front desk put it on Seattle. There will be a long conversation tomorrow with both guest relations and also the Mariner Society.

That is very unfortunate. Looks like all the more reason to have this extended benefit HAL policy printed out before we might have to face this again. Double shame since you went to so much effort to check ahead of time. 

I also got a run-around about when I could use this thermal spa benefit - she kept insisting only on a port day, while a prior guest relations person on another ship claimed it could be on any day. Plus she started out saying it was only for an hour -not a full day pass.  She at least corrected herself when she saw my look of surprise. Not sure what is going on here between the spa people at HAL guest relations.

However, I can appreciate if they are over-booked for fee-paying guests - there is only so much room to hand out. But they should at least know when there are hours that are used less than others. Or else HAL needs to pull this "benefit" if it causes this much ill-will for all concerned. The spa people and the 5 star mariner who did not expect to have to run so much interferance. Pretty much the opposite of a "relaxing" experience, as intended

5 star Benefits should not cause so much consternation -  considering they get yanked so easily when there are too many 4-5 star persons on board. And this time on the Eurodam I saw priority embarkation and tenders were for 3, 4, and 5 star mariners.  Not just 4 and 5 star - this whole Mariner thing has been a constantly moving target.

Still love the laundry most of all. So not all is lost.  Waited too long to get my second "free" Pinnacle dinner, and all the sudden they were all booked up. So sorry.  Lesson there too.   And the other discounts did come through for other items.  Plus the port day ATK offer, which is another oddity. I cruise to see ports, not stay on board for a "free" cooking class.  Oh well, we would still cruise HAL even with no benefits.

And the Mariners Luncheon on this ship was one of the the best ever - a very tasty and topical meal since we were on the Mexican Riviera. Definitively  an inventive take on the local cuisine. And very good white sparkling this time; not just cheap bubbly.   Well done Mariner Society. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:48 PM, OlsSalt said:

That is very unfortunate. Looks like all the more reason to have this extended benefit HAL policy printed out before we might have to face this again. Double shame since you went to so much effort to check ahead of time. 

I also got a run-around about when I could use this thermal spa benefit - she kept insisting only on a port day, while a prior guest relations person on another ship claimed it could be on any day. Plus she started out saying it was only for an hour -not a full day pass.  She at least corrected herself when she saw my look of surprise. Not sure what is going on here between the spa people at HAL guest relations.

However, I can appreciate if they are over-booked for fee-paying guests - there is only so much room to hand out. But they should at least know when there are hours that are used less than others. Or else HAL needs to pull this "benefit" if it causes this much ill-will for all concerned. The spa people and the 5 star mariner who did not expect to have to run so much interferance. Pretty much the opposite of a "relaxing" experience, as intended

5 star Benefits should not cause so much consternation -  considering they get yanked so easily when there are too many 4-5 star persons on board. And this time on the Eurodam I saw priority embarkation and tenders were for 3, 4, and 5 star mariners.  Not just 4 and 5 star - this whole Mariner thing has been a constantly moving target.

Still love the laundry most of all. So not all is lost.  Waited too long to get my second "free" Pinnacle dinner, and all the sudden they were all booked up. So sorry.  Lesson there too.   And the other discounts did come through for other items.  Plus the port day ATK offer, which is another oddity. I cruise to see ports, not stay on board for a "free" cooking class.  Oh well, we would still cruise HAL even with no benefits.

And the Mariners Luncheon on this ship was one of the the best ever - a very tasty and topical meal since we were on the Mexican Riviera. Definitively  an inventive take on the local cuisine. And very good white sparkling this time; not just cheap bubbly.   Well done Mariner Society. 

We did have the website pulled up where it clearly states all guests on the same booking number and in the same room receive the same benefits but the front desk would not honour it. They just played dumb and would not respect what is clearly written on their own site.

One of our 5*’s was told no thermal spa even for them.

I did have a very good talk with the Mariner Society Tuesday and she said the ship was 100% in the wrong.

Our biggest issue was the tendering for one port. The ship was trying to say our party had to be split and only the 5*’s would be able to go when they wanted (thus leaving their kids and grand kids behind).

Ultimately the MS said they will be working to educate the ship better.

It’s  unfortunate there is so much discrepancy between the program and ships and what almost seems animosity towards 5*’s and those who have supported the cruise line with their loyalty.

PS- agree about the Mariners Lunch, one of the best we’ve ever had.

• Thanks 1

MDR welcome lunch on Embarkation was NOT listed on our 12/29/2018 Oosterdam sailing.  When I went to ask about it at the MDR was told it was a Mariner lunch and they asked for my card (which I'd transferred in at 1-* based on past Princess cruises) and they let DW and I in.  Not sure if they'd have turned me away with a 0-* card?

Mariner lunch on the final sea day featured the Captain giving a quick speech, some lovely bubbly wine, and very nice ceramic coasters to take home as a souvenir.