Saint Martin

allinthesameboat

The Dutch side has recovered more quickly.  But the French side was hit much harder because the category 5 storm approached from the east, which is the French site.   The Princess Juliana Airport has just reopened their arrivals area.  Still no jetways working yet, but it's a lot better than the huge tents they were working out of all last year.   The biggest problem was getting sufficient building materials and skilled labor on that small island.   

It was shocking and depressing to see the damage.  I followed this story closely for a while,  recovery will take decades.  It is not the US where lots of government assistance kicks in for coastal communities to rebuild.  

We were told  property owners cannot afford insurance deductibles to rebuild and France is unlikely to kick in zillions. Many resorts and tourist operations were unprofitable before the storm and they will never be rebuilt. 

Going in for a day off a cruise ship is OK,  tours are running, beaches mostly open.   The French side sustained catastrophic damage, resorts and other tourist facilities badly damaged or  flattened.  Minimal to no mold remediation was done,  many buildings not habitable. Owners awaiting insurance payouts but will not rebuild.  Lots of submerged boats remain in the water.  

Really sad. 

Our next cruise this way is offering a shore excursion to St Barts (ferry) from this port.  Any word about how or if St Barts also got hit?  

Very tragic report.  Thanks for sharing the sobering facts. France is hardly in any shape right now to bail this out today.

Edited by OlsSalt

15 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

It was shocking and depressing to see the damage.  I followed this story closely for a while,  recovery will take decades.  It is not the US where lots of government assistance kicks in for coastal communities to rebuild.  

We were told  property owners cannot afford insurance deductibles to rebuild and France is unlikely to kick in zillions. Many resorts and tourist operations were unprofitable before the storm and they will never be rebuilt. 

Going in for a day off a cruise ship is OK,  tours are running, beaches mostly open.   The French side sustained catastrophic damage, resorts and other tourist facilities badly damaged or  flattened.  Minimal to no mold remediation was done,  many buildings not habitable. Owners awaiting insurance payouts but will not rebuild.  Lots of submerged boats remain in the water.  

Really sad. 

“Not the US where lots of Government....” tell that to the good people of Puerto Rico.

95 percent of French St. Martin was destroyed, I was actually part of the initial relief effort, so I saw the destruction with my own eyes.

roads, electricity, water sanitation have largely been restored, unfortunately, lots of buildings and houses will never be rebuilt indeed. The EU could and should do more for the local Martinians, that I agree with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

Our next cruise this way is offering a shore excursion to St Barts (ferry) from this port.  Any word about how or if St Barts also got hit?  

Very tragic report.  Thanks for sharing the sobering facts. France is hardly in any shape right now to bail this out today.

We were told St Bart’s had significant damage that has mostly been cleaned up.  I haven’t been there since the hurricane so my info is third party.  

This is a very wealthy enclave.  Fabulous yacht harbor. Recently saw photos of many celebs  there for the holidays.  

Many tourists pass through St Marten to get to St Bart’s, via the airport or ferry.   

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, allinthesameboat said:

Does anyone have any info about the degree to which  the French side of St Martin has recovered from the devastating hurricane?

What is it exactly you are wanting to do there?  I was there the last week in March 2018.  Orient Beach was beautiful and cleaned up for the most part.  No problem having a nice day there.  Many places open and doing business in Marigot.  Sandy's Creole Cuisine served good food and good service.  I'd return in a second!

• Thanks 1